Non Pedal Steel on Letterman

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Mulligan

Non Pedal Steel on Letterman

Post by John Mulligan »

The band Fleet Foxes came out sporting a non-pedal steel. I'm not familiar with he band, but they play an uptempo song. The young man on the steel is proof that you can gig in your first week of gettng a non-pedal steel. I think he might be in open G. Have a look if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GMJAvwjmAU
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

I am not at all a violent person but that made me want to run outside swinging a 2x4.
Brian
Hugh Holstein

Post by Hugh Holstein »

Or you can go out swinging a Fender Studio Deluxe. :whoa:
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

That too!
Brian
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

They do some incredible harmony singing and that's what matters to me.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

That is the lead guitarist screwing around on a lap steel. I think he already had the gig before he showed up with the lap steel... :lol:

Steve
S.M. Johnson

I have a simple question..............

Post by S.M. Johnson »

Perhaps it's just MY imagination but....

why does it seem like just about everybody on the bandstand anymore, has this belief that "ANYBODY can play the 'lap' steel guitar"

Didn't someone in the BEATTLES do it; the GRATEFUL DEAD; and a dozen or more bands?

This LETTERMAN appearance, IMHO, demonstrated to the general public, that there's not much depth or character associated with the lap steel guitar.

Lap steel guitar artists like JERRY BYRD could've have done so much more to educate the public as to the beauty of the instrument.
Rick Stratton

Post by Rick Stratton »

I think it's great that more & more young musicians are becoming aware of the lap steel and including it in their guitar arsenal.
I did't care for the song either, couldn't find much of a melody going on there. But all I could think was that, however simple the part he was playing was, It probably sounded a lot sweeter on the steel than it would of on his regular guitar!
It's an added texture. It's their sound. Just because his band was lucky enough to be featured on network TV doesn't mean the kid should have to be the 'spokesman' for all lap steel players!
We can't all be Jerry Byrd.
David Eastwood

Post by David Eastwood »

Rick Stratton wrote: We can't all be Jerry Byrd.
I think you mean JERRY BYRD

:) :)
Robert Jenkins

Post by Robert Jenkins »

Since Nils Cline has been playing with Wilco, lap steel has been hip among the "indie crowd." Cline's been playing it for years, but the Wilco gig brings big exposure, so it's kind of the flavor d' jour. My acupuncturist has a client who wants to learn lap steel, seemingly out of no where. It's apparently in the air.
Jason Hull

Post by Jason Hull »

:alien:
Last edited by Jason Hull on 22 Apr 2012 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

I didn't like the capo, or the other guy's hat, but it all worked for the song.
Any exposure for the steel is good, some will always just make noises, other's a joyful noise, a few will actually lean to play it 'right', and maybe one will get all the way into Jerry Byrd. It's worth it just for that one 'maybe'.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Listen, sooner or later there's a good chance that a new player, or someone who is playing lap steel as a utility instrument, will want to learn more about it. It took me about 4 or 5 years of doing what the guy in the video was doing until I found this forum in the hopes that I could learn more.

Lighten up--hopefully they'll find their way here and want to get the full experience.
Tom Grosz

Post by Tom Grosz »

Thanks for posting the link.. I enjoyed seeing that song performed!

I was surprised to see that part done on a lap steel... The vibe on the album reminds me more a glass slide on an electric.
He generally seems to play hummable guitar lines, which is more than a lot of folks these days!
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

He's adding some subtle back up there. At least it's not some trebly/twangy crap like I've heard some do.

Not likely that any solo break runs will be played between verses in the band anyway. Lots of steel players around that don't do anything except back up singers.
Joachim Kettner

Post by Joachim Kettner »

Off topic.
I can't find it anymore, but I've seen a video where they had Graham Nash onstage with them, when they played in Manchester, his former hometown.
Fender Kingman, Sierra Crown D-10, Evans Amplifier, Soup Cube.
Allen Peterson

Post by Allen Peterson »

I didn't necessarily like the song, but I thought the exposure to steel guitar was great.

I noticed in the comments beneath the YouTube that some were asking what instrument the guy sitting down was playing. People want to know.

Was the bass player using an old Sunn amp? Hadn't seen one of those in years.

Allen Peterson
2008 D10 Rains Pedal Steel, 2000 D10 Carter Pedal Steel, BR-9 Lap Steel, Nashville 400, Nashville 112, '65 Fender Twin Re-issue, MB 200, Telonics Volume Pedal
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

While I'm sure its not everyone's cup of tea, I thought the use of the steel for some simple ambient fills fit the soundscape of their song just fine.

Steel guitar is very versatile instrument and is a great tool for artists of all genres.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i think maybe lots of us are a little put off by someone getting an up front prime time shot with not much experience while others of us have studied, practiced, and paid dues for many years with no recognition or payoff. this performance does little to promote steel.

just as sad is a beautiful old martin being thrashed with a soundhole pickup and capo. ..when you could get the same or better sound for this performance out of an estaban guitar and hat.

nix on the dumbass sweater, too....not cool whatever you're thinking! (sweaters are not stage friendly)

most alt/country/whatever bands have serious fashion problems.
Joshua Grange

Post by Joshua Grange »

Fleet Foxes!
Great band, and really nice guys.
Earlier this year I played the Jools Holland show in London with kd lang, and they were one of the other bands playing that day.
Very unique sound, and they are all very genuine and humble guys who have devoted much of their lives to music.

I'm glad they've found success.
Good to see nice guys don't finish last.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I agree with Tom. I think his playing is fine for this style of music. Just a few simple slides, some ambient fills, minimal single notes, etc. It's not what most of us are used to hearing, but that's the role of the steel guitar in Indie, folk/pop/Americana stuff. The steel is mostly used for background "padding" to blend with other rhythm instruments, guitars, keyboard, etc.
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Ah, what's the matter with kids today? Geez, guys, lighten up! It's only events like this that keep non-pedal steel even remotely in the public consciousness. If not for the fact that new players are intrigued by whatever possibilities they hear, the instrument will soon go from being a curiosity to a museum piece. In the long run isn't it better for the future of steel to support the efforts of young musicians like this rather than dumping on them for not sounding like Jerry Byrd, having bad fashion sense, amplifying their instruments the wrong way, or - the ultimate sin! - playing music that doesn't appeal to our sensibilities?
Last edited by Ian McLatchie on 2 Oct 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Mulligan

Post by John Mulligan »

it's nice to see this discussion turning toward the positive and I'm a bit shame-faced I started on a sardonic note. I did enjoy the retro and vintage instruments being played.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Hm... As far as I could hear he was playing what the song called for, often doubling the backing vocals with his lines. What else could he have done on such a 'busy' song? While he's certainly no virtuoso he's playing what the song needs, filling in on the minimal empty space that's left, and that's the sign of a mature musician to me...
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Nicely said, Steinar. I cringe at the thought of being judged harshly for anything I did at that age, much less music. The kid plays with restraint and obvious enthusiasm. That will take him a long way.