Heros!!

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeremiah Hanley

Heros!!

Post by Jeremiah Hanley »

Possibly this subject has been written on many times. I'm a relative new subscriber to the Steel Guitar forum, so if what I say has been said before, may it underline the true meanings of this thread! My main hero, of course, is the Lord Jesus Christ and those who the Holy Spirit used to write the Bible! My heros up to date do not include sports figures or movie stars, but steel guitarists! They are my heros! Whatever they do, I try to play those same lines or fills. It seems to me that's the way it ought to be done. I understand that steel players aren't welcomed on the stage like they used to be or should be. Steel players that have good fellowship with the john-Q-public become real heros. It's always an honor to shake the hand that makes such beautiful music on the steel guitar. The steel player that's friendly and approachable and available for conversations are those who will be remembered for decades to come! There are some players that make me wish I hadn't talked to them by their snobbery attitude. If you're one of those steel players that's reading this, I think you know who you are! Then there are wonderful people like Scotty Henderson, DeWitt 'Scotty' Scott, John Hughey, Buck Grantham, Terry Bethel, Joe Wright, Tommy Dodd, Austin Stewart, Jerry Newberry, Jerry Roller, Tyler Hall, Terry Wood, Fred Justice, Lefty Schrage, Roger Blevins, Larry Sasser, Robby Springfield, Marty Neer, Dave Musgrave, Mike McGee, Tom Brumley, Stu Basore, Paul Franklin, Sonny Garrish, Bob Ashley, and Roy Rosetta, (I realize he's not a steel player, but a SUPER GREAT guy)!! You all know how to make unimportant people like me so glad that I took the opportunity to speak to you! If you're one of the unapproachable ones, why not 'change your ways'! People are laughing at you behind your back! People need people, and you guys that I've mentioned your names, you are real heros in my book. Thank you for your kindness!!
Jerry and Venda
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Jerry, you are one of my "hero's" plus all of the above. Over the years, I've had the pleasure of getting to hang out with great steel players and I feel like a first grader hanging with a bunch of 12th graders. You and Venda have touched a lot of peoples lives and I'm proud to say, I'm one of them. See you in about 3 weeks "My Friend". Ray
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

I am not big on the word "hero", I think we are all just people. I do however, believe that some people are just filled to the top with good attitude and helpfulness toward others. Jerry, You and Venda are two of those people. You are both wonderfully talented people, and you just seem to carry a blessing from God around with you. As Ray says, I am also proud to be one of those people touched by your kindness. I have said this before and I will say it again...Each time we come to your home, we leave feeling blessed and loved. I am so looking forward to seeing you and Venda at the KSGA show and getting to hear you sing and play again.

Dana
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

Barbara and I both agree with everything Dana and Ray have said. We feel blessed just to be able to be in the same company with Jerry and Venda and to be able to call them "our friends". We too are looking forward to seeing them in Baxter Springs, Ks. in a few weeks. The Sunday morning church service with the Hanley's is always the high-lite of the show for us.
Love them both,
...Roy and Barbara
P.S. I'd be remis if I didn't mention that Venda is my "hero". She does what many of us keyboard players only wish we could do.
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy