What makes that wah-wah sound??

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jonathan Colby

What makes that wah-wah sound??

Post by Jonathan Colby »

I was wondering what makes the swelling wah-wah sound on some the old swing/country tunes. You heard it from Speedy West all the time.

And recently I saw Hank Williams III in concert and his steeler's guitar could do it too. He had a stand-up console type non-pedal Fender guitar I believe. Don't know the model. Would love to know how I could get my hands on something like that.

That sound would really fit the kind of swing honky-tonk stuff I'm playing lately.
Jonathan Colby

should have posted in non-pedal

Post by Jonathan Colby »

oops. well I'm sure someone in the "pedal" section could answer my question too. :)
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

It's a tone control. The value of the pot can determine how quickly the 'wah' happens. Most modern pedal steels don't come with a tone control, but a control can be added if desired. The older console guitars often had tone controls and the players would soup them up to get the sound they wanted.

Similar to the way some guitarists hook their finger around the volume knob on a Tele and use it like a volume pedal.
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Check You-Tube for Alvino Rey.
e.g.

click here

Arch.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Most pedal steels don't have a tone control like you'd find on most non-pedal steels. Fender sells a volume and tone pedal that can be used to control the tone. You push the pedal up and down to control the volume and move it from side to side to control the tone.

The Fender steel guitar you saw is almost certainly a Stringmaster double neck eight string guitar. All you need to get one is a lot of money (or a lot of luck).
http://www.gbase.com/gear/find?gs=y&key ... ringmaster
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I have an old Fender volume pedal with the "twisting top" that controls the tone. I can get that sound using this pedal, although it's never been my thing.
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I remember hearing that Speedy had replaced the tone pot on his gtr with a doorbell switch, so he could trigger the effect really fast.
Anyone else ever heard that?
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

Skip Edwards wrote:I remember hearing that Speedy had replaced the tone pot on his gtr with a doorbell switch, so he could trigger the effect really fast.
Anyone else ever heard that?
That's interesting... I've often thought of adding a tone control to the C6 neck via a small spring loaded lever that would be next to the pickup switch. You could pull it to the left with your pinky finger, which would dull the tone. Let it go and the tone pot would be wide open.
Peter den Hartogh

Post by Peter den Hartogh »

Buddy Merill using his tone control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF05gVe47S4
Elton Smith

Post by Elton Smith »

Thats how we did it before pedals came around.Wahwah is just using the tone pot ,ie treble cut and rolling it on and off.The pedals use a higher value pot to enhance the sound.For Tremlo roll the volume knob on and off.The old 3 way strats,we found out you could get the outta phase strat quack by taking a guitar pick and wedging it between the contact in the switch.Fender got wind of it and walha , the 5 way switch.All these sounds were invented by musicans.
Gibson Les Paul
Reverend Avenger
Paul Reed Smith
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Jonathan Colby

Post by Jonathan Colby »

Thanks guys. Mystery solved! Great videos. Those guys have such great technique and intonation -- and they always make it look so easy. I'm gonna see if I can check out that tone pedal at the music store.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

I just use a wah-wah pedal.

Arch.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

As I remember the old effect used by Speedy, Alvino, and others was called the Doo-Wah effect by manually turning the Tone Control on the Guitar very fast from Bass to Treble.

The Wah-Wah effects was usually accomplished by a foot Pedal designed for this purpose with speed variations that could be pre-set.
Jonathan Colby

Post by Jonathan Colby »

I'm not sure that a traditional guitar wah-wah pedal would produce the same sound as a tone-changer. Besides those pedals are pretty noisy when running clean through. I guess I'll have to learn more about electronics and rig me up something.

Yeah I see some guys doing the finger trick to vary the tone. On my Emmons Legrande II that's nearly impossible.
Peter den Hartogh

Post by Peter den Hartogh »

A wah pedal is basically a sweep filter, like a parametric equalizer. (See Google). Suffice it to say that it will not sound the same as a manually turned tone control.

If you can find a pot that sweeps over 70 degrees (and not the standard 270 degrees) you can build the tone control in a little box and clamp it to one of the guitar legs. The 70 degrees gives a faster effect with less effort.
1977 Sho~Bud D10 ProIII Custom; Sho~Bud SD10 The Professional ; ETS S10 5x5;
Fender 1000; 1993 Remington U12; 1978 Emmons S10 P/P; GeorgeB Weissenborn;
Fluger Cat-Can; Asher Electro Hawaiian; Gibson BR4; Fender FS52; Guyatone 8str;
Fender Resonator ; Epiphone Coronet 1937; Rickenbacher Ace; Rickenbacher NS;
Dynalap 8string; Harbor Lights 8string; Aiersi Tri-Cone; Fender Stringmaster
Jonathan Colby

Post by Jonathan Colby »

Thanks for the tip Peter! Building something sounds like a fun project. I'll let you know how that works out.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Danny Gatton did it by replacing the 250 K pot in his Tele, with a 1 MEG pot. I have one set up like that. Goes from full bass to full treble in a quarter turn. My old Gibson Grande Console has a lever installed in a slot, that hooks up to a 1 Meg pot. Works great, but will disappear when, if ever, I restore that guitar.