Clarence White and Red Rhodes with Gib Guilbeau

Bottleneck slide guitars, B-benders, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Dave Harmonson

Clarence White and Red Rhodes with Gib Guilbeau

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Here's one that I missed somehow. I would guess from around '70 to '71.
http://youtu.be/1-DfhzXqB0o
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

Man, that is some great stuff right there! The b-bender and steel sounds are quite similar to the playing in Freddy Wellers "Games People Play" single and album. Clarence White and Red Rhodes are all over that album. I can't get enough of Red's playing.
Steeless.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Dave, I have a CD with that cut on it. The CD's called "Classic Gilbeau 1968-1986" I think, I don't have it in front of me at the moment. Clarence and Red are on a few cuts and Red more than Clarence. I bought the CD from a web radio station that Gib used to have called California Country of something like that.......JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

I've always been a Gib Guilbeau fan. Did a few shows with him when he was a Burrito. This track definitely has some of the same feel as the Freddy Weller Games People Play album. I've still got that on vinyl with nothing to play it on now. Gonna have to get someone to transfer that to CD for me. I remember Clarence and Red swapping licks on the song Birmingham and really getting after it. Such a shame that Clarence left us so young.
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

Dave - Sent you a PM.
Steeless.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

i thought i saw freddy weller playing a tele himself on some show and i'm pretty sure it had a bender.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

Yes, I saw Freddy Weller on the old Nashville Network several times with a Parsons/White B- bender Tele. Never saw him play much other than rhythm.