New Foster and Lloyd et al

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Jerry Overstreet

New Foster and Lloyd et al

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Thank goodness for NPR and my local public radio station WFPK 91.9 and Michael Young's program, Roots and Boots.

Thanks to this program, I learned that Radney Foster and Bill Lloyd have reunited and have a new CD It's Already Tomorrow recently released. A breath of fresh air. Radney's voice and Bill's pickin' have always been at the top of my favorites list. I understand Radney has traded in his acoustic for some pretty darned good electric guitar on a few cuts too. Looking forward to getting that one.

Then, Connie Smith for heaven's sake! New CD Long Line of Heartaches. The title cut is classic country. Up front steel guitar that Connie loves and a fabulous tune.

Also heard a cut from Glen Campbell's new release Ghost on the Canvass. The song, In My Arms features Brian Setzer, Chris Isaaks, and Dick Dale :!:

Then I learned that Ry Cooder has a new one out as well. Pull Up Some Dust and Sit Down. Ry gets mentioned rarely here, but I've always enjoyed his innovative style and attitude.

Many of you probably already know about these, but some may not.

Anyway, just wanted to plug NPR and my local public radio stations' insight and good taste and maybe alert some of you who, like me, had not heard about these new releases...no thanks to country radio. It's out there, but you have to really look for it or be in the know, I guess.

Guess I'll have to float a loan or sell more gear to buy all these CD's.

Thad Cockerell, Drive by Truckers, Gram Parsons, Ted Russell, Buddy Miller with Duane Eddy and several others were also in play. Lots of great music new and old, and nice steel guitar from eras past and present. Thanks Michael, you da man.
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Wow, all lof those sound great. Gonna have to look at the CD budget...
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Thanks Jerry for the recommendations

My brother just go a new CD by Robert Earl Keen that Lloyd Maines produced, I want to check that one out too.
Dale Watson has a new CD with the Texas Two coming out in September, dont think there is any steel on it, but when he played cuts recently in NYC, they sounded great.
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I don't know how I omitted the Robert Earl Keen CD Craig. It was the featured one on the program I mentioned. I guess I just skipped over my notes.

Anyway, it's titled Ready for Confetti and has some nice steel, dobro etc. by Marty Muse. I think Lloyd also played some dobro and other stuff too besides producing.

BTW, anyone can preview cuts of these new discs at www.allmusic.com Some of this music may not be for everybody, so a listen to samples might be in order. F.I., I was hoping for some nice slide guitar on Cooder's new effort, but I'm not seeing any.

Interesting cut titled John Lee Hooker for President, so perhaps there's a bit on that.

I haven't heard any of the new DW...have to check it out... but I really enjoy some of his music, particularly the Carryin' On CD with the fabulous Lloyd Green.
Janice Brooks

Post by Janice Brooks »

www.live365.com/stations/busgaljan

I program a bunch of these mentioned albums.