Emergency! In VT, looking for parts & repair help

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Cipriano

Emergency! In VT, looking for parts & repair help

Post by John Cipriano »

Hey all. I'm on the road right now and having a couple of issues with my LKR / E-to-Eb. It's an MSA Semi-Classic that appears to have had some custom work done on it. It's hard to describe the design of the changer, but one symptom I'm experiencing is that in order to tune to an Eb, I have to back the tuning nut so far off that it doesn't hold on to the rod anymore. In addition, the rod and and the collar/spacer don't stay in place. I thought I had it sorted, with both strings lowering to an Eb, but as soon as we started to play the set, the lever began pulling both to a D.

I tried to use other changes' nuts but it appears that I have some with different thread sizes.

I'm wondering if any of you are in the area (we're in Burlington, VT now and on the way to Plattsburgh, NY. First things first, I need to buy some spare tuning nuts from someone. I also really need to find someone with more repair experience than I have (almost none). We have a show tonight and I need the change.

My email address is johnmikecip@gmail.com. I'll be checking. Please help! Thanks in advance.
Last edited by John Cipriano on 30 Aug 2011 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

First, is it a problem on both E strings?
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

What I think is that it started out as just being the high E, but the changer on that one is messed up in such a way that it's affecting how the lever travels.
Jon Hyde

Post by Jon Hyde »

Why not try to contact Jerry Fessenden? He's near there and you know he'll know what to do...
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

There is obviously something slipping.... a bellcrank on the shaft, possibly the one that you first noticed a problem with.... or the lever stop is slipping, which is unlikely as it started with only one change. I believe that you have the bellcranks on the round shafts, which can slip, which would have the effect of making the pull flat, requiring you to reset the lever stop for a longer throw..... but it sounds like you have too much throw, so the problem is likely in the lever stop/throw adjustment. Have you checked for signs of slippage?

Also did you change to a different brand/gauge string set... that could affect the length of the throw... but that would have happened immediately....
Steve Whetstone

Post by Steve Whetstone »

Jerry has already left VT and is on his way to St. Louis.

He will also be spending a few days in Illinois after the show.

Steve
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

My first tip would be to stay in Burlington, Plattsburgh is a drag. Besides that, give me a call, I live downtown, also I'm playing at the radio bean tonight at 10:30 if you're around. I have some tools and a little know how.
Brett- (413) 636-7312
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

If you shorten the throw of the lever by adjusting the stop underneath it may solve the problem.

Clete
John Cipriano

Post by John Cipriano »

Thanks for the help, everyone! It did turn out to be (initially) related to the amount of travel on the lever. I was compensating without realizing it and it got to the point where the nut wouldn't stay on. I addition, something was getting hung up in the changer so that I was able to tune it while there was too much tension on the spring, and then it'd get unstuck while playing and throw everything out.

Anyway, thanks for the offers and help. Brett, I wish I got to see your set at the Radio Bean since I don't get to catch other steel players up close often. And Jerry was actually the first person I called, but he was on the road.

I only have three more shows on the tour and I'm fairly confident the change will hold up now. Thanks again!