Finally some tunes ... and thanks !

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mitch Crane

Finally some tunes ... and thanks !

Post by Mitch Crane »

Well, I've got about a year of lap steel under my belt now and finally got a recording set-up I can use.

Many thanks to you guys for your posts, instruction and knowledge !

Specific thanks to Doug Beaumier who's playing, vids, lap steel book / CD really got me going.. to Jerry Gleason and his great youtube vids of some of the tunes I learned from... (and forgive me Jerry for copping your entire solo on Wear A Lei...not good on improv yet so I just stole it outright ! :roll:) , Andy Sandoval and others for help with BIAB, Mike Neer for his sheer genius and volume of great work, and John Ely whom I took several months of lessons from via Skype, and many others here as well.

I've been focused on B11 tuning for the past few months so most of the tunes recorded so far are in that tuning... standard stuff.

Have a LONG way to go to get to where I'd like to be, but sure having a blast getting there !!

Critique / criticism (good or bad) welcome.

http://soundcloud.com/mitchc-1

Thanks again guys. What a great forum this is !
Last edited by Mitch Crane on 30 Aug 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Wow! Very, very nice playing, Mitch! 8) Smooth and relaxed, and your intonation is excellent... i.e. you play in tune. :) You've got a nice touch on the steel guitar. Keep up the great work!
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Very nice job, Mitch. Really good touch and intonation.
Jim Newberry

Post by Jim Newberry »

Fine year's work! See where an obsession will get ya?
"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

well done Mitch, great sounding tracks, you obviously enjoying playing, this comes through in your recordings, which by the way feature lovely backing, how did you create those by the way, im sure others will be interested to know.
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Wow Mitch!

Very impressive and professional sounding. You've got it all going on (and make it all happen on a 6-string guitar).

Let us know where you're playing!
S.M. Johnson

So good to hear you!

Post by S.M. Johnson »

You've obviously got a handle on the 'good stuff'.

Keep up the great work.......

I'm really impressed by the great sounding rythm track that you've selected.
Peter den Hartogh

Post by Peter den Hartogh »

Great stuff, Mick. I would love to put these on my MP3 player.
Could you please switch on the "download" buttons?

Also, which BIAB styles did you use?
Keep up the good work!
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

Well done, Mitch. You get a lot of music out of six strings. Keep 'em coming!
Chuck
Bob Russell

Post by Bob Russell »

You sound fantastic, Mitch! Congrats!
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

WOW ! Thanks so much guys for the support and encouragement. It really means alot.

I'm having the musical time of my life I tell ya. Played guitar since age 10 and at 59, lap steel is the most fun I've had so far !

Kevin and others re: the backing tracks... all done in Band In A Box 2011.5 using Real Tracks wherever possible.. a few tunes I've written midi bass tracks when the "real guy" gets a tad busy for my taste :wink: Style on these tunes is Jazz swing ballad of some sort, or Cocktail w/ brushes.. BTW, if you want these BIAB files or TablEdit of any of these tunes just PM or email me.

Thanks again you guys ! You're great !

Oh... and downloads have been enabled... took awhile poking around in Soundcloud, but I found the setting. Default is disabled I guess.
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

Great playing Mitch, very enjoyable listening.
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Very nice, Mitch! :)
Steve Green

Post by Steve Green »

Dang, Mitch! That sounds really great. It's obvious you've worked really hard at your steel playing. Sounds fantastic.

Your backing tracks sound amazing, too. I've got BIAB 2010.5, and it seems everything I do on it sounds like some cheesy 80's Casio keyboard.
Matthew Dawson

Post by Matthew Dawson »

Beautiful playing!
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

Thanks so much guys !

Steve, in BIAB, I agree that the all midi styles can sound a bit "cheesy". Do you use Real Tracks ?

I'm pretty satisfied with what I've been able to put together so far in BIAB... especially the Soloists stuff... the Jazz guitar solo on "Million Moons Over Hawaii" just cracks me up. I'm working on Buddy Merril's version of "Steelin' Home" and have a killer up-beat fast country swing guitar solo that's fantastic. What a great tool for composing, playing along with ! Even to use on solo live gigs...just you and "the band (in the box)" ! :lol:
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

Whoa! Sounds great! I hope I sound even half as good when I hit my one year mark on February!
Brian
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

:whoa: :whoa: wow, hope I can come near that skill level when I hit the 12 month mark. Thanks for sharing. Ditto for Dougs stuff. Its really got me playing real tunes. Thats all I play at a steel guitar club meet I attend. The other members are very patient.Got to buy BIAB so I can make my own BT's
Well done
Cheers
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Hey Mitch, you sound great and that B11 sounds pretty dreamy too. :)
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Are you going to continue to play in B11 or will you focus on learning other tunings? Maybe it's time for a D-8. :D
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

Hey thanks guys ! Much apprecitated.

Mike, just so happens that for the past couple months I've been focused on B11 tuning and learning these tunes... and just got a recording set up going so those are the ones I put down. Will be doing the C6 stuff next. As for D8, I gotta say, that I've bought and sold several 8 strings. Been playing 6 string something or other for nearly 50 years and staring down at those extra strings just makes me crazy :whoa: ... and, I haven't yet come across anything that really took advantage of the extras (I'm sure I will though). There's an occassional tune that I wish I had that high G string in C6 tuning... but as Chuck Lettes says "You (one) can get a lot of music out of 6 strings" ... so for now, 6 is plenty. We'll see how things go in this upcoming year.

Thanks again to you guys for the feedback. I feel like I'm 10 years old all over again.. only now I don't have to stack quarters on the turntable arm to learn tunes ! :lol:
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I understand. I was there not too long ago, especially trying to shake the guitarist tunnelvision. I think the path you chose was definitely right for you--it's got you playing steel guitar pretty darn well.
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

Thanks Mike ! Coming from you, that's quite a compliment. You and so many others here are my heros !
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Abso-freakin-lutely amazing playing Mitch! One year, eh? Sounds more like 10 years to me... :D
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Doug Burling

Post by Doug Burling »

Wow! If I can play as well as you after one year I'd be beyond happy. Just beautiful.

Mitch, Since you had all those years behind you playing guitar, did you have a firm grasp of music theory when you started playing lap steel? Did you have tabs for your B11 tuning. I'm just getting started with 8 string lap steel (on the way).

By the way, thanks for your suggestions for what and how to order strings.