My Tribute to Ralph Mooney - Above & Beyond

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Clinton Erb

My Tribute to Ralph Mooney - Above & Beyond

Post by Clinton Erb »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8XUBucsoWA

As we all know... Moon passed away last March. He was my favorite steel guitar player. I recorded this song in tribute to him.

I put this in the video description... it's my little memorial to him. I'm sorry if I got some of the information incorrect, please tell me if I did so. I was just going off of what knowledge I had in my head.

Before I go into the song description I would like to say a few words about the late, great Ralph E. Mooney.

Ralph was one of the greatest steel guitar players the world has ever seen. He is the man responsible for the West Coast Pedal Steel sound.

Have you heard "Under Your Spell Again", "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down", "It's Such A Pretty World Today", or "Rainy Day Woman"? If so, you've heard Ralph Mooney play.

Ralph was Wynn Stewart's Steel Guitarist. Wynn is the guy that was the "Bakersfield Sound" before the Bakersfield Sound came to be. Ralph is also (and often, better) known for being Waylon Jennings' Steel Player for years.

First and Foremost, Ralph Mooney is the man who wrote "Crazy Arms". That's right. One of the greatest and successful country songs of all time. Marty Stuart described it as the "Hillbilly Nation Anthem". I would have to agree to Marty.

Ralph was a prolific studio musician. In addition to being in Wynn's band, Ralph played on many (if not most, or all) of Wynn record. "Wishful Thinking" is all Moon. While being a studio musician at Capitol Records in California he played on many of Buck Owens' early records.

Numbers for Buck include, "Above & Beyond", "Under Your Spell Again", "Down On The Corner Of Love", "Foolin' Around", "Pick Me Up On Your Way Down", "Keeper Of The Key" and "Nobody's Fool But Yours" among many, many others.

Ralph was also steel behind Merle Haggard. He (notably) played on "Tonight The Bottle Let Me Down" and "Swinging Doors" among a whole bunch of other tunes.

Ralph and James Burton recorded an instrumental album for Capitol called "Corn Pickin' And Slick Slidin'". To put it simply, the album is amazing. One of the greatest instrumental albums to ever be recorded.

Moon is perhaps best known as Waylon Jennings' Steel Player. You can hear him on "Rainy Day Woman", "Lonesome Onry And Mean", "I May Be Used (But Baby I Ain't Used Up)" along with a whole lot of other tunes.

Recently, Moon was teaming up with Marty Stuart quite a bit. Marty described him as his favorite musician of all time. I believe that I can say that as well.

Marty has covered the Mooney penned tuned "Keep Her Off Your Mind" on his "Cool Country Favorites" album.

In 2010, Marty brought Moon in to play on what is possibly his greatest album, and in my humble opinion, the greatest country album released in years. This album is titled "Ghost Train: The Studio B Sessions". Moon played on three songs (that I'm aware of) on this album. Those songs are "Branded", "Crazy Arms" and "Little Heartbreaker".

"Branded" is a country-rock song in the vein of Merle Haggard. Marty said that hearing that "Mooney Drone" on the track had a film noire effect for him.

"Crazy Arms" is one that Marty asks Moon to play it "just like he wrote it.". It is an instrumental number with Mooney playing the melody of the song, backed by Marty's band, The Fabulous Superlatives.

Once when Marty and Ralph were playing together in Mooney's home they decided to write a song. "Little Heartbreaker" is what came of it. Marty states that he and Moon wrote it over a bowl of banana pudding made by Ralph's wife. If I recall the WSM radio interview correctly, Marty says that when they were finished writing it Ralph sat back, laughed and said, "That's pretty good". The song borrows heavily from the instrumentation of "Rainy Day Woman", which I mentioned prior.

Ralph passed away last March. The final record he played on is none other than Marty's "Ghost Train".

I adore Ralph Mooney. Never has a Steel Guitar Player, nor any musician sent chills up my spine like Moon has. To put it simply, Mooney is #1.

Mooney played on Buck Owens' song "Above & Beyond" which the great Harlan Howard composed. Hearing that haunting steel for the first time is what inspired me to pick up the instrument and learn to play it as close to Moon as I can.

This is my tribute to you, Ralph.

I love you Moon.

Clinton Erb
Clinton Erb

Post by Clinton Erb »

Alright guys, I've gotten 270 views from the forum here and no one has anything to say about it? :P

What are your thoughts?
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Well Clinton, I for one enjoyed it very much, great singing and great playing and I am sure Moon would most definately approve. It was indeed a fitting tribute to the man and his music and very nice to know that there are those who still admire the man.
Thanks for the post and by all means, keep making real country music.
Billy Tonnesen

Post by Billy Tonnesen »

I am a little reluctant to review Ralph Mooney and do not want to take away from his acheivments over the years. IMHO Ralph found his niche in the West Coast "Honky Tonk" style of Country Music. He rose to the top of this Commercial Style of playing which was very popular with the public and admired by many of us Musicians. I do not think there is any such Steel Player that could be considered as "Best" over all. Many styles fit many differen't venues. Ralph hit the jackpot when he was hired by Waylon Jennings as his style was a perfect fit. In contrast I cannot hear Ralph's style fitting in with, for instance: Ronny Milsap, George Strait, Gatlin Bros., etc. Ralph and I were friends on the West Coast from the mid 40's. He was one of my favorite people.