G# to A (6th string) and B to C#(5th) won't stay in tune

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Justin Gaynor

G# to A (6th string) and B to C#(5th) won't stay in tune

Post by Justin Gaynor »

I've been working really hard to learn this instrument, but I am getting so frustrated because I am constantly having to retune these two pedal functions - G# to A (6th string) and B to C#(5th). Everything else on the steel (I have a GFI expo 10 string) seems to hold pretty well, but these two often won't withstand 10 minutes of playing. My playing experience, and my life, because playing this instrument is such a big part of it, would be so much better if I could solve this problem! Someone please help! I know how to make some adjustments on the steel, but detailed instructions are still very helpful for me if possible. Thank you!
Ray Anderson

Won't stay in tune

Post by Ray Anderson »

Check your nylon tuning screws for looseness, they need to to have some resistance when turning. If they turn freely they are backing off. I too have an Expo S-10, good guitars and play well. Hope this helps. Ray :wink:
Justin Gaynor

Post by Justin Gaynor »

ray, definitely helps...have not thought of that problem. how do I go about adjusting this?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

If the nylon nuts are loose enough for you to turn with your fingers with little resistance, it's usually best to just replace them. They are not that expensive. You could also put some teflon tape on the threads and re-use the old nut.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ray Anderson

Won't stay in tune

Post by Ray Anderson »

Have you ever adjusted your pedals and knee levers yet? do you have your copedent chart? If not you can go to GFIs site and download the chart. You have to know you copedent before you can tune.If you don't know how to adjust knees and pedals, once you get your tuning repost and someone will help you. :D
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Justin, you need to take that guitar to a competent steel mechanic and get it lubed and adjusted. Money well spent and peace of mind. No amount of advice here is going to replace that. Out of adjustment steel guitars are not something to learn on.
Ray Anderson

Won't stay in tune

Post by Ray Anderson »

Hey Justin, You need to learn on your own how to tune your instrument, you can,t run to some tech every time it gets out of tune. I have one of those guitars and that is what I started on I bought it new and it is less than a year old. You will have to tune it often as temp changes. They do not hold tune for long periods of time. When you change strings you will have to retune. So dive in and get your facts and data and learn how to tune. BTW GFI does not stress lubrication on their steels. Been there - done that. Happy steelin' :wink:
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Justin, I agree with Kevin. Not sure where you are in Jersey but it would be worth the trip to Ct to see John Widgren. Take a lesson and have him take a look. Money well spent.
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Justin Gaynor

Post by Justin Gaynor »

Ray, when you say out of tune, do you mean not holding tune properly? I'm not sure if that's what you mean. I know what the steel should be tuned to and i know what the copedent is. I am still trying to find a specific "tuning" that works best for me that accounts for the cabinet drop of the instrument and that just really "sounds" in tune.

As far as making adjustments go, I think as Kevin and Bill said taking it to a steel mechanic would be very helpful and worthwhile. I am trying to do what I can to adjust it, but I feel like so many things could be potentially off. It'd be nice to know that everything is as it should be and then if something goes wrong take it from there. Bill, it is really hard for me to get to CT but if i can't find a better option I may do that.

Anybody know anyone in nyc or an accessible place in nj? thanks for all the help!
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

GFI's are fine guitars. If the nylon tuning nuts are ok, here's something to check. Check the bellcranks underneath(where the pull rods connect to). All of them should be tight and not moving or sliding. Sometimes a tuning problem can be as simple as checking everything under the guitar to make sure everything's tight and not moving. Also make sure the tuning keys are not loose on the keyhead. (Been there, done that)
Ray Anderson

Out of tune

Post by Ray Anderson »

I went through a similar situation with mine and again I say that mine was spanking new. 5and 6 are the A&B pedal changes, or at least part of them, and cabinet drop on thes light weights are a fact of life. So I started using the Newman tuning or"sweetened"tuning and that made a big difference. I learned how to squeeze my pedals to achieve the pitch I wanted. How old is your guitar? These guitars are very light weight and have their issues as you will see when applying the RKR and pulling that wound string, mine wanted to dance around quite a bit. Get a tech as a last resort, but you will never know about your guitar until you have some issues. The education is priceless. :wink: