Lap steeler needs PSG advice!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dustin Elmer

Lap steeler needs PSG advice!

Post by Dustin Elmer »

Howdy! I'm a lap steel/dobro player looking to get a pedal steel. My dads band has a steel player who has a couple guitars for sale at a good price. One is a 10 string E9th and the other is 14 string universal. They're both 1980's Sierras and only $100 difference in price. What one should I go with? I'd like to focus on E9th to begin with, but i'd love to get into some C6th down the road. From the standpoint of a newbie, which is the better choice? Thanks in advance!
Dusty Elmer
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

both are good choice although the universals dont hold their value very well theres a lot of millage in that 14 string you have both worlds there
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Hi Dustin,
In my opinion, I'd go with the 10 string E9.
There is plenty there to challenge you for a long time. The strings on extended guitars seem to be a little too close together and having so many, makes it harder to find the ones you're after.
I have a sierra and I like it. Enjoy the journey. RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Dustin Elmer

Post by Dustin Elmer »

Thanks guys. I was kinda leaning towards the 10 string. I'm really excited to get started!
Dusty Elmer
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Best decision, playing-wise, that I've made regarding pedal steel, was switching from a D-10 to my Kline Uni-12. Got used to the slightly narrower string spacing in one day. Really loved having the low root. You say that you want to get into 6th tunings down the road, right? Then you're going to have to buy another guitar. If the price is right??? I'd get the Uni! Makes sense as far as your interests.
b0b

Post by b0b »

The string spacing on a Sierra 14 string is not narrower than a typical 10 string pedal steel, John.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Wouldn't know about that Bob. Haven't ever even seen one! Up in this neck of the woods, Cleveland/Akron, when I was actively gigging, there was one Shobud, one Emmons, and everyone else had Klines! I was merely responding to Ron P's comment about string spacing.