New MB200 Arrives!!!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Jack, I found that one of the cords had a bad solder connection. I used right angle plugs on one end of the cords, and needed to re-solder one of them. It seems to work fine now. Still not sure if I like the sound as well as the 112, though.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm using mine with one of the new Eminence EPS 15C neo speakers. Still have about the same sound, but it does take a little bit to get the MB200 dialed in. It took me about a month to find my settings.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Steve Norman

Post by Steve Norman »

mine sounds great with a SICA 15 speaker
GFI D10, Fender Steel King, Hilton Vpedal,BoBro, National D dobro, Marrs RGS
Michael Remming

Post by Michael Remming »

After living under a rock for 20 years and getting older my Randall Commander 1 is just getting to heavy to pack around to gigs. Most venues I never dial it more than 1- 1.5 on the volume. I am really wanting to try this system out. I have a 15" 8 ohm JBL K130 in my Randall Commander 1 that I would like to try. Would I be better off to get the new eminence 4 ohm, or have the JBL rebuilt to 4 ohm?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you are trying to save weight, go with the Eminence. Also, you have to be careful with the old JBL as it's don't think it's rated for the power of the MB200.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

At long last have managed to get MB200 and Sica 12inch speaker in UK, my good friend and steel player Willie Gamble built the cabinet (with me as gopher)ala Steve English design.Sounds really good so far, will try it out at gig next week.Weighs in around 18 lbs.Believe this is first one in UK
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Steve Norman wrote:mine sounds great with a SICA 15 speaker
Mine as well!
This speaker is well balanced.
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

..It took awhile, but my MB-200 finally arrived, too.
I ordered it on Amazon, and it took about 5 or 6 weeks to show up.

I haven't even hooked it up yet, but I'm working on some simple methods/options for mounting it to the guitar;...vertically, and horizontally.

Within a couple of days, I hope to get some photos of the MB-200 (specific) mounting set-up.
It'll be on my ' Gizmo' FB page, here > Bessdang Gizmos
Bessdang Gizmos - "An Equal Opportunity Annoyer"
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Dale, those are some great gadgets you have. For vertical mounting, I bet you can remove the two front rubber feet and replace them with a couple of U brackets and hang from one of the leg assemblies you already have. Another thought I had was to use some type of "slide in" bracket to secure the MB200 to the inside of the bottom back panel of the speaker cabinet for transit, and remove it and place on one of you brackets when in use. That would free the MB200 up for use with different speaker cabinets.
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Thanks, Roger.
I don't know if this is anything near what you've envisioned, but here is my own GK, MB- 200 vertical mount. Works like a champ.
I opted for a centered, single hook (1"), so that it wouldn't interfere with the S/C's 'bar slot' or prohibit access to the center 'Pick slot'.
The pitch, or viewing angle of the MB -200 can be set to the players preference.

I have a bunch more, and many different photos of it > Over here...
Click on "Photos" - (album) "Custom Gizmos"
This mounting system works great with either a Slyde-Car (Pick, bar, & tuning wrench caddy) or with a 'no frills', BDG "utility bar. The 'Utility' bar is a simple hanger bracket, covered in Velcro 'fuzz' padding. A Utility bar is an alternative tool for players that don't really want a S/C tray unit, but need a way to mount an effect, tuning wrench caddy, cup holder,...etc.

Shown again, mounted on a "Utility bar", with tuner, and a tuning wrench caddy.
Gerry Simon

Post by Gerry Simon »

Dale, I'm using the 'Fusion' version of the amp but went with a setup a lot like yours; clips on quick and secure...I like it close for the tweak-ability. I have yet to hear the MB200 and wonder if there is much of a difference in sound from my Fusion? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0sVn--shvQ
Do you use the f/x send /return in the amp or use f/x pre the amp? Gerry
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Gerry,
Sorry, I'm not familiar at all with the 'Fusion'. (..GK?)
I haven't even hooked up, or tried out my MB-200 yet.
A short while ago, I got careless while handling a broken piece of tile, and wound up with a gnarly looking cut that nearly removed the tip of my index finger. It'll probably be a few weeks before I can put a set of picks on.
You did a good job on your mounting rig, though, and I enjoyed your vid clip, thanks.

@Roger Crawford: Here is another view of how the hook mount attaches to the MB.

After removing the two front 'feet' on the MB, two longer, (3/4") 5mm screws pass through a #12 sealing washer, the pivot bracket, a 1/4" nylon washer, and into the MB chassis. I'll provide the additional hardware, and assembly diagram (...So easy,..a cave-man could do it.)
The cross piece pivots in the center, and 'locks in' with a 1/4"-20 wing-nut, at whatever angle you prefer.
Gerry Simon

Post by Gerry Simon »

Thanks Dale...Sorry about the finger; hopefully adversity will make you stronger! :)
Yes, the Fusion is also GK; I think it's like the MB500 but with a tube preamp. Your setup looks simple and versatile, a good combination. If I built mine, it would mostly be 2 x 4's with the amp nailed to it...a friend and bandmate built mine. I hope you enjoy your new rig as much as I am mine; I've received several compliments on the tone. ....and many thanks to all the forum members who have posted info on this and other topics that would have forever been lost to me w/o their contributions! I try to give back but I don't have as much to offer as a lot of the great players on here... Gerry
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Thanks Gerry, it'll be alright soon. (..the finger)
I appreciate your sense of humor:
"If I built mine, it would mostly be 2 x 4's with the amp nailed to it...a friend and bandmate built mine." But,..at the same time, I'll admonish you to not sell yourself short. Ever. When I moved to Nashville in 97', I couldn't hammer a nail into a block of wood. In between playing gigs, I was on the roster with a 'temp' service, and got placed with a company that needed a maintenance tech.
I told them beforehand that I could barely change a light bulb, or a roll of toilet paper,...but the temp company liked my work record, and encouraged the client to take me on for training, and possibly, a permanent placement.
My supervisor was an excellent teacher, and I really learned a great deal from him during that time period. (..about a year)
I used to believe that there are those who can, and those who cannot do certain things in life. I used to believe that I was one of the 'not - mechanically inclined'.
I don't believe that anymore. Anybody can learn anything. It's that simple. You just have to seek out a decent tutor, or reference materials to learn whatever particular set of skills that you desire.

Wishing you the very best,
Your pal, Dale
Landon Roberson

Post by Landon Roberson »

Just ordered the GK MB115 amp 200 Watts into a 15" speaker with a tweeter horn and a switch that you can turn the tweeter off. Looks close to the MB200 amp. Should be in in about a week when I get it I will let you know how it sounds. Weight 35LBS.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I guess have to find out about these first hand. Does anybody have a MB200 or MB500, with or without a speaker cabinet, that you want to sell or trade? Thanks.
Hey, mister, how do you pedal that thing anyway?

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" - Augustus McCrae
"From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth 'til death, we travel between the eternities" - Prentiss Ritter

Too many steels, amps & other stuff, and an open mind. I have tube amp bias.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Jim-
Also check out Tommy Huff's cabinets that he makes with SICA speakers in them and a slot for the MB200....(he is on the forum). 22lbs for amp, spkr and cab, and it looks really pretty....
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I think I read in one of Steve English's posts that he ran his MB200 into a 4 Ohm JBL K130. Since the K130 is rated at 125 continuous Watts, that seems like it might be a little risky - any input? Steve? It used to be your speaker.

Is anybody running a MB500 through one 4 Ohm speaker - any problems?
Larry Petree

4 ohm speaker

Post by Larry Petree »

I have been running an MB500 through a single 250 watt rated Sica 4 ohm speaker for over a year, with no problem.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Ok, I pulled the trigger on a new MB200. It looks like I found a really good deal, but I'll wait until it arrives before I post. The company said that it will be here on Monday.
George Macdonald

Mb200

Post by George Macdonald »

I do mostly solo work with good quality tracks at various Church functions. Lately I have been using two MB200s into two of Tommy Huffs cabs. One cab has a 15" Black Widow Neo, and the other cab has a 15" Eminence EPS15-C. Both speakers are rated at around 300 watts. The loaded cabs weigh 25 lbs and 22 lbs. I'm now hooked on the expanded sound that the two set-ups provide.
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

Any one with the Mb200 owes it to themselves to try out any of the new lightweight speakers available with a Tommy Huff Cabinet.I have been using mine exclusively since last year and couldn't be happier. The weight savings alone is worth the price of admission.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

+1 for the Neo in a Huff cab....and don't forget to order a Steel Guitar Black Box from Brad Sarno....that adds tube tone to the nice, but somewhat sterile, raw MB200 tone, and makes it a great alternative to tube amps....I still haul out the tube amp for some gigs, but even the band often doesn't notice the difference when I use the MB-200 with a Black Box...
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Mine was delivered on Monday. It took all of 5 minutes to unpack and set up the MB200. Since then I have been comparing it to my Fender Twin and Peavey Session 400. I have ran all three amps through a Peavey/JBL K130 in a Rick Johnson cabinet. My signal chain is Sho-Bud LDG>Sarno Freeloader>volume pedal>Boss RV-3>amp. I have played in two different locations. The Twin wins so far. I think the Session is a little ahead of the MB200, but I'm still tweaking settings.

One of the places I played was the local music store where I take lessons. The owner/teacher has been playing for more than 40 years. It took a few minutes to explain that it really is an amp. Then we took turns playing through it and my Twin. He couldn't believe it. He liked the MB200's tone better than the Twin's. He just kept shaking his head and saying things like, "That little thing sounds better than my Evans."

Although I have only had it for a couple of days, I have drawn a couple of early conclusions. The MB200 is a keeper. It's hard to argue the weight per tone ratio. I also love the simplicity of the controls. I really the separate High-and-Low Mid EQ pots. This little amp is all it's cracked up to be. My NV400 and Evans SE500-LV will be for sale shortly.

I will test with an Eminence EPS-15c and a SICA next. I'm also gonna switch from the RV-3 to my Digitech RP-150.

Has anyone compared the MB200 with a Black Box or Freeloader to the MB Fusion?
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

Freeloader or any resonant peak seeking device works well with the MB 200 but I have never tried it with a Fusion as I believe a black box would be redundant with the MB500?
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com