installing finger picks

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mark Nohren

installing finger picks

Post by Mark Nohren »

Hey Guys,
I was told to tighten those metal finger picks to your fingers with pliers to where the back of the folding tabs are even with the quick of the nail. thus leaving the pointed part of the pick extending 3/8" past the finger tip. I can not get the pick to stay on my finger. Could some of you fine ladies and gentlemen shed some light on this subject. I'm pretty sure there are different ways to obtain success, I would be so ever grateful if you would please share your successes.
Thank You,
Mark
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

8)
Last edited by Steve Hitsman on 5 Jul 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I use Hair spray lightly sprayed on my finger tips. Let set til nearly dry and put on your picks where you like them to be. Works xtremely well for me. If , after a time, your picks has any residue build up, wash them in alchol and that will clean them. Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Go to home depot,get a spray can of [Plasti Dip] Hold the pick with pliers and spray the inside of the pick. Will coat the inside of the pick with a rubber coating,they will be confortable and STAY on. One can will last a LONG time. I also spray the metal pedals on my MSA keeps my shoes from slipping on them. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Mark Nohren

sticky picks

Post by Mark Nohren »

Thank You,
I will try some of these ideas. By the way do the picks need to extend so far from the finger tips?
Thanks Again,
Mark
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The thing that works for me is just moisten the end of your fingers with your tongue before you put on your picks. It really helps to make them stay in place. :D
Bob Tuttle

Post by Bob Tuttle »

I use needle-nosed pliers to carefully shape my picks to fit my fingers. Here's how they look when properly fitted. I never have a problem with them slipping off.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

As to how far the blades should extend (and how exactly they should be curved), I think this is one of the many variables with PSG where you just have to find what works best for you, which may take some time. It's taken me years!

There's even some difference between brands of picks in how much length of blade there is.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

mark..it's not so much where they sit on your fingers or their shape. the main thing is that they are snug enough to stay on with confidence.

there will be a period of a few days or even weeks that you must endure them being ill-fitting and uncomfortable. costantly rebending and shaping throughout a gig or practice. eventually your fingertips will get tougher and the fit will get better. you usually have to make them too tight at first.

even after many years of this you will have nights that they won't be snug enough and fall off. when the air is cold your fingers will be smaller. bigger in the heat. it's an ongoing battle,but constant tweeking eventually brings them around. you can't play with confidence if you're worried about them falling off.

you also need a tight thumb pick which may turn your finger blue but keep moving it to allow blood flow and keep at it.

i can imagine it takes more time and pain for someone who has never worn picks before.

i've never used any sticky stuff and don't think that shortcut is necessarily the best idea.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I'd say there are two specific things I do, which eliminate much of the problem. One, use two pairs of pliers to bend them, at least one of them needlenose or jeweler's round-tip pliers; Two, you'll get a whole lot more practicing done if you have at least two sets of fingerpicks. One is to practice with, the other is to work on getting comfortable while you're watching TV, lying around, eating dinner etc.... If you spend all your practice time fiddling with picks, you're not going to learn too fast. At some point you'll likely ask which is "best" and honestly, between Dunlops, National NP2's, and Kysers, I can get used to any of them in a few minutes. And the tip length - extended vs. curled up tight - it seems as though most top players curl them right around the fingertip because of the mechanics of the stroke, but quite a few leave them poking out a bit.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

What Bobby Tuttle says and if you still have problems try the cheapest hair spray you can buy. It works for several players I know.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

A piece of 1/8"X3/4" aluminum with a slot in one end is an ideal tool to shape finger picks, the middle pic shows bending the circle of the band to fit, also the angle of the band so it doesn't dig into the finger on the front/back of the band.Top & bottom shows changing the shape/curve of the blade to suit your preference.A pair of short needlenose pliers with a wrap of tape on the jaws also will help in holding while you do the adjustments.
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

John Billings
What the heck! Do you have a pick on upside down over your regular pick? I just tried that. Pretty cool. Nice blocking effect.

PS-I also just lick my fingers before I put on my picks. They stay in place like they were mildly glued on. :P
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Mark Nohren

finger lickin picks

Post by Mark Nohren »

Wow,
I never dreamed that this topic would receive so many hits. I really like your thoughts and ideas. I just got back from Chicago and I bought another set of picks so I will start shaping them. Doing this while watching TV was a great idea. Thank You so much!
The pictures speak a thousand words, You have all been so helpful! Hey you guys are on a roll keep them coming!
Thank You All Again,
Mark
Bobby D. Jones

Installing Finger picks

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

When the picks are brand new I suggest take a steel rod slightly smaller than your finger and put it a vice. To use as a minature anvil. With a small hammer peck and roll the picks until you have a smooth circle down to the size of your finger to start with. Watch and have a smooth radius on the curve. This is the only way I have found to bend most picks without all the bend is in the holes in the wings and the pick will look like a octagon box for your finger to fit in. Once you get it close then use pliers or other tools to get it to fit exact. As for the thumb pick. Ace Hardware and other stores sell edging for steps that is like sand paper with a peel glue backing. Rub front of it with a piece of metal lightly to take the long sharp points so they will not hurt your thumb. Cut a piece of this 1/4 inch wide and the length of the inside of your thumb pick where your finger is in contact. peel th backing and and install, clean pick with degreaser first. LIGHTER FLUID or whatever. It will stay withput squeezing the blood out of your thumb. Good Luck and Happy Steelin.
Benton Allen

Post by Benton Allen »

Irv said:
The thing that works for me is just moisten the end of your fingers with your tongue before you put on your picks. It really helps to make them stay in place.
John Hughey turned me onto that trick years ago. It's how he did it and never had a problem. Of course you have to shape and fit the picks to your finger first.

Cheers!
Benton
Kenny Radas

Post by Kenny Radas »

I like just breathing on my picks, sort of like when you try to warm your hands in the winter. The humid air works just about as good as licking them. Guess I am just paranoid about germs, but if you would see some of the places I play...you know the story.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Ron,
I've always done double duty, steel and Tele. I'm pretty much strictly a finger-picker on 6-string, but for some Gatton tunes, you just need to flat-pick sometimes. I came up with this solution to my problem. I cut the blade off another pick, and silver-soldered just the tips together. I can hold my very short-bladed thumb-pick against it, and use it just like a flat-pick. Here's a couple of pix that might make it clearer;

Here's how I hold it to use it as a flat-pick;

My picks do not stick out very far from my fingertips, nor do they curl around to follow the shape of my fingertips. Works for me! YMMV.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

Bryan Daste posted this thread on shrink tubing.

Clete
Greg Moody

Post by Greg Moody »

I use mothers mag wheel polish on my finger pick for a smooth feel,It works well.
Mark Nohren

picken on picks

Post by Mark Nohren »

Fantastic,
These are wonderful ideas! I gotta get some more picks and see what I like best! Thank You so much!
Mark
Lyle Clary

Post by Lyle Clary »

Ask your fiddle player for a small piece of rosin {resin}. Pound it up in a small mint can and apply to your fingers as needed. Not much is needed for it's intended effect.
2006 Zum D10 8x8,1969 ZB Custom D10,
10 3x4 Peavey Nashville 112 Peavey LTD 400 2014 Zum Encore Wood Grain 4x5 Stage One pot pedal
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

I Keep a small tube of tooth paste in my pack seat and apply it lightly to the pads of my thumb and pick fingers. It Seems the fingers absorb it. When I am finished playing there is no sign of the paste having been used does't mess up my picks either.

I do the same on my bar hand starting at the inside and end of my first finger and spreading accros the pads and then contiuing down into the thumb joint and back up to the end of the thumb. You will have a very surprisingly, postive grip on your bar.

An ample amount should hardly be noticable if at all.No mess to clean up when you finish your gig. I believe you will find that one application at the start of your gig will do you for the night.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I just lick my finger tips and jam the picks on - they stick real good and never had one come off yet !

Good idea to wash your hands first of course :whoa:
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.