What kind of music do you actually want from the Pedal Steel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

If I was a musician trying to make a living with a steel guitar I would be forced to play music I don't like. For me music has been a hobby even though I played a ton of shows. Did a lot of front shows for Nashville acts along the way. Made good money also. Sense it was a hobby I wouldn't play with a band very long if they got off on music I didn't care for. That is just me. I started back in the 60's, not on steel, when we had the best of the best music to choose from. I was spoiled ! :)
Bill
Bill Moran

Post by Bill Moran »

[quote="CrowBear Schmitt

pedal steel ain't dead, it just the players that are gettin' old & smellin' funny ;-)[/quote]

Disreguard my last post. I found my problem !! I like that CrowBear.
Bill
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

Steel guitar can shine playing the vocal line of any song that has a good melody. It can also cover horn section riffs, string section pads, as well as guitar parts. Play the harmony line for the lead guitarist on "Jessica" or "The Boys Are Back in Town." To avoid sounding "country" when you shouldn't, don't use the pedals to bend a note against one that stays stationary.

I agree with Theresa. I want to hear steel guitar on "the next song."

And I agree with Leslie that the standard copedent limits what can be done on the bass strings. Most of the changes focus on the treble range.