Question for Paul Franklin

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joshua Bertrand

Question for Paul Franklin

Post by Joshua Bertrand »

Hey Paul I believe I've got some conflicting information about one of your changes.
Do you lower or raise your 6th string from G# to E?
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Hi Josh,

Look at your question, and it will become obvious, that Paul wouldn't be raising (nor anyone else) a string 8 (1/2) tones.

So the only thing left, is he must be lowering, which is still a large drop down of 3 (1/2) tones. But yes, it would be a drop (lowering).

Hope that helps you..... and have fun...
Joshua Bertrand

Post by Joshua Bertrand »

Lol that was my assumption also but believe it or not I've had more than 1 person tell me he's raising.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

:D
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

He has been known to raise 6 G# to B
FWIW
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Jim Hollingsworth

Post by Jim Hollingsworth »

There was a recent post on that subject. Seems that Paul has a Raise from G# to B and a lower from G# to E on the same knee lever - he then engages (with nylon tuner nut) whichever change he feels inclined to use. It's a great idea. I had several extra pulls added on my Rittenberry which I usually don't use -but they are there if I need them!

Jim
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

i saw (and got to meet) paul last month at a vince gill concert - we had good seats on the steel side and i noticed that he constantly was reaching over near the changer to "switch something" - - this baffled me - coil tap? - but this post may explain what he was doing - engaging different changes
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Jerome Hawkes wrote:i saw (and got to meet) paul last month at a vince gill concert - we had good seats on the steel side and i noticed that he constantly was reaching over near the changer to "switch something" - - this baffled me - coil tap? - but this post may explain what he was doing - engaging different changes
He has two RKRs, one for each neck. He folds one up and the other down when he changes necks. Maybe that's what you saw.
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Jerome Hawkes wrote:....i noticed that he constantly was reaching over near the changer to "switch something" - - this baffled me

Jerome, it is the turbo switch he has installed on all of his guitars. He usually only uses it in cases of extreme emergency though... :lol: :lol:

Joe Rogers