Kenny Dail, friend to many

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Clyde Mattocks

Kenny Dail, friend to many

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

My lifelong friend and mentor, Kenny Dail passed away around 1:00 A.M. this morning. Besides his storied career as a steel guitarist, he had another career in fooling the doctors. 20 years ago they gave him only a couple of years to live. We knew him as a wonderful caring, sharing friend, eager to help someone learn steel guitar. No one loved the instrument and it's players more and he had a headful of knowlege about it. I have done my grieving for his health's sake for a long time now, but he is past that now.
Thanks to Glen Lanning, who has stuck closer than a brother, helping Kenny thru his illness, driving him to doctors appointments and a thousand other ways. All his musical friends here in eastern North carolina and his musical pals in Virginia will miss him, but we have the good times and hs many kindnesses to remember.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Glen E. Lanning

Post by Glen E. Lanning »

I will miss the "Little Rascal" a great deal. I learned a lot about steel from him and more important how to live life when it seemed like everything is against you. It was only about 2 weeks before he went to hospital that he was here at the house playing his "Rick" and apologizing that he was not playing as well as he thought he should. Pray for Mary!
Past Secretary/President, MASGA
Mullen U12 (2004)
ShoBud Professional (1970)D10 8/4
Peavey Session 400 Limited/Nashville 1000/Zoom RFX-2000/Peavey EQ-215 Equalizer/Nashville 112
Ray Walker

Post by Ray Walker »

Rest In Peace my friend.. Our prayers are with Mary through this. Kenny was a man who was full of love and as Clyde mentioned....was always there to help a new steeler along. I was a beneficiary of a lot of that help and recall so many times when Kenny would help me figure things out on the steel. Over the last several years those of us who knew him and was honored to play some with him....had to carry his equipment for him. I am here to say that I would gladly carry his rig and the man himself today and for as long as needed if I just had one more chance. I will cherish the memories of Kenny for as long as I walk this earth. God speed Kenny.....we're gonna miss you.
And finally, thanks Glen for all you did for Kenny....you're a good man.

Ray and Debbie Walker
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I'm really saddened to hear this. Kenny was the first musician I met in Virginia and also became my friend away from music. I can still see him on the bandstand at the old Nashville East in Va. Beach where I first saw him. He was affectionately known by some of us in Va. as "The Old Man". We attended our first St. Louis convention together as well as others and gigged a good bit together, sometimes on "twin steels". Luckily I have some video tapes of those gigs so I can always be able to watch him pick whenever I want to. RIP old friend, you were loved and respected by a lot of folks.....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Clyde Mattocks Wrote
I have done my grieving for his health's sake for a long time now, but he is past that now.
As Have I and In Kennys own Words "And The Beat goes on, KD......."

To Miz Mary, My Deeepest Condolences, I Said Goodbye to Kenny on My Last Visit, I just couldn't bear to see him in the shape he was in anymore.
John
b0b

Post by b0b »

I'm real sorry to hear this. Kenny has been an active member of the forum here from the beginning.
My condolences to all of his family and friends.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Kenny is someone I've heard a lot about but never met.

My sincere condolences to his friends and family.
Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

This is really sad news. Kenny will be sadly missed. My prayers and thoughts go out to he and his family.
Bob Hempker
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I talked to Mary a short while ago. Glen has printed and is printing all the condolences for her as they come in and she is very touched and appreciative of the wishes sent in by his many friends and even people who did not know him. Thank you all.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

So very long ago I became acquainted with Kenny here at the forum. I have no idea why I knew he was a good guy but I did. I knew he had health problems for a lot of years so I'm not shocked that he is gone but I'm certainly saddened.
For those of you who are so much closer to him, you have my condolences.
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Here's a shot of Kenny trying out a Derby steel at Billy Cooper's Music in Orange, Va. a few months before he moved to Kinston. And another one of him showing Billy and I one of his specialty C6th things. Kenny had a special way of explaining what he was doing so that anyone could understand it. I remember him playing in a couple of southern rock bands and turning on his fuzz box and knocking out a cool solo on Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers or whatever was thrown his way!....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Joe McHam

Kenny

Post by Joe McHam »

Our thoughts and prayers are with Kenny's family and friends at this difficult time...
Houston, TX
Excel Superb S-12 8&5
Fender Princeton Amp.
Peavey Vegas Amp.
Casio PG-380 midi guitar
Ham Radio WA5OKT
Private Pilot SEL
Tom Kaufman

Although this was not unexpected, it is sa nevertheless! d

Post by Tom Kaufman »

Although this was not unexpected, it's still sad to know that Kenny is "gone home!" I treasure the memories I have of long phone conversations that Kenny and I had about steel players; about how they did different licks and so forth! Was hoping I'd get to see him or talk with him again, but it wasn't meant to be! My thoughts, prayers and condolences to Mary as well as his friends like Clyde and others! I feel prevledged to have known him! RIP Kenny!
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Before I moved to California in 1973 I lived in the Norfolk/Va Beach area and was just getting started playing pedal steel. I met a steel plater named Al Lewis around 1972 and asked him who were the steel players around town I should be listening to besides himself. He said there was a guy named Wayne Butler I should hear but he said the best guy in town by far was Kenny Dail. So I sought him out and watched him play on many occasions. He was so advanced that I couldn't really pick up too much from him at that time besides a few tips and a thorough explanation of how everything on a pedal steel worked including how both necks were laid out and why. That was enough to get me going and allowed me to dig out the rest by myself. I moved west soon after that but I started running into him in St.Louis periodically over the years and we would catch up on the old days. To be honest he looked pretty frail for a long time but he turned out to be a tough son of a gun. Great player and a great guy. Rest easy Kenny.
Joe Smith

Post by Joe Smith »

I am so sorry to hear this. He was my buddy. Rest in peace my dear friend.
<i>My playing sounds more like it did before than it does now</i>
Paul Norman

Post by Paul Norman »

I will miss Kenny. I surely liked him.
We will visit Sunday afternoon.
bruce fischer

Post by bruce fischer »

i never got to meet kenny in person, but always enjoyed his posts. prayers for his family. RIP kenny.
bruce
sho-bud super pro II, blue darlin' VI
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

RIP Kenny...gonna miss you...
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Jerry Fleming

Post by Jerry Fleming »

I am so sorry to learn of Kenny's passing. Kenny and met and became friends over the last several years through the MASGA. RIP my dear friend.
John Floyd

KD's Obit

Post by John Floyd »

Kenneth T. Dail
August 10, 1929 - June 24, 2011

Kinston-Kenneth Thomas “Kenny” Dail, 81, of Kinston, passed away Friday, June 24, 2011 at Lenoir Memorial Hospital. Kenny was born August 10, 1929 in Greene County to the late Tom and Leflie Faulkner Dail. Kenny worked as a Service/Parts Manager with several area auto dealerships. Kenny loved music and playing the steel guitar.

A service to celebrate Kenny’s life will be held privately.

Kenny is survived by his wife of ten years, Mary Rouse Edwards; six children and one step-daughter.

Arrangements are with Rouse Funeral Home, La Grange.
David Rupert

Rest in Peace...Kenny

Post by David Rupert »

I'm very sorry, to hear of Kenny's passing. Kenny was a truly great person. I first met him, around 1979, in Virginia Beach. He was getting ready to move to Richmond, VA. He was the steel player, for 'Knoxville Station.' I told him I was looking for work, & he told me he was leaving the band - to move to Richmond. So, I took over for his position as the steel player in Knoxville Station.

Kenny, was a great friend to me...& helped me so much, as I prepared to start playing with the band. He really went out of his way, for me!!

I'm sad that he's gone now...but, he is in a better place now. He's no longer suffering, as he was on earth. He is in Heaven now, with God...& his loved ones.

He will truly be missed.

Rest in Peace...Kenny
David "DJ" Rupert

"Music. Without it, life itself...would be impossible."

ZumSteel - Encoreâ„¢ S-10 / 3p x 5k (Two-Tone; Red & Black Top).
Rolandâ„¢ Cube 80x Amp, Hilton Volume Pedal, TC Electronicsâ„¢ Flashbackâ„¢ Delay, TC Electronicsâ„¢ MojoMojoâ„¢ Overdrive, Peterson StroboPlus HD Tuner, D2F Covers. Evans JE-300 Amp. (in the not too distant future).

Most Importantly: the musicians hands...& soul.

http://www.bandmix.com/pedal-steel-75/
Ray Thomas

Kenny

Post by Ray Thomas »

Living in a town close to Ken I had been hearing about him for several years but did not meet him until a couple months ago, when I was introduced to him he had a firm hand shake and looked me straight in the eye with a smile. We talked on several subjects. On another occasion I was at Glen Lanning home, we were working on a song and got hung up a chord to use so Glen called Ken, he listened on the phone as we played, he got us on track real quick. On another occasion just a few weeks ago I was at Glen's and Kenny was there. One could tell that he was getting weak but he hung in there and actually played a couple tunes on the steel. Glen and Donna Lanning are to be congradulated for the care and assistance they gave to Ken and Mary in recent times. Kenny will be missed
Billy Knowles

Kenny

Post by Billy Knowles »

Clyde,
That was very nice of your all to do the service yesterday for Mary, I am sure she and everyone else that was there appreciates it.
Billy
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Rest is peace Kenny.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I just checked the forum & just saw this about Kenny. I was so glad to have met Kenny & Mary just a Few years ago thru the M.A.S,G.A. Glen had Introduced us at one of the Jams Almost Immediately he seemed like someone you knew for a long time. Really sorry to hear this. Glen please tell Mary how much we Thought of them. Russ & Betty