pedal steel teachers in Southeat Mass/Providence Ri area/and

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joe Buckley

pedal steel teachers in Southeat Mass/Providence Ri area/and

Post by Joe Buckley »

I have worked with Mr. Scott's Sho-Bud Maverick method book and the Winnie Winston's book and gained a lot of of good information. However when all is asaid and done,a working with a teacher and lots of practice is the way to make progress on the pedal steel.,. The music stores in my area do not know of any teachers . I would like to find a pedal steel guitar teacher in the southeast Mass/ Providence Ri region. If anyone on the Forum knows of a teacher please share it.

Also,in case this does not work, I would like to hear how self taught steelers who had no acess to a teacher went about learning the instrument.. It seems that it is easy to pick up bad playing habbits and not even know it when you teach yourself. How did you avoid these prob;lems?

With best wishes

Joe
Michael Pierce

Post by Michael Pierce »

Joe, I'm not sure if he's taking on new students, but Doug Beaumier is Northampton is about the best. Might be a bit of hike for you, but I drove up every other Saturday from Hartford for three years, rain, shine or blizzard. I believe there is also a steel guitar club in your area that gets together once in a while. But definitely reach out to Doug. Great guy. Good luck to you!
James Mudge

Post by James Mudge »

You should contact Marcia at the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association. She could probably put you in touch with someone that could give you instructions.

Here is their website. It lists several contacts.
http://www.risga.com/memberscontacts.html

The shows they have are fun, I've been to a couple.
Stage One S10
Sho-Bud Pro II D10, Nashville 112
Brian Straub

Doug B.

Post by Brian Straub »

There is no better than Doug Beaumier in Northampton, MA for pedal steel, lap steel, etc. Look him up, great teacher, great guy. I need to get up there myself soon.
Justice D-10, Evans Amp, Sarno V-8, Gibson Lap Steel BR-9, Telonics Pedal.
Karen Sarkisian

Post by Karen Sarkisian »

+1 for Doug
Emmons PP, Mullen G2 and Discovery
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Hi Joe,

Doug Baumier has been teaching pedal and non-pedal for years in Northampton. Plus he's a great guy in general.

If that is too far--or you want to work with more than one teacher--I live in Providence and do some teaching.

My number is four oh one, seven four three one five five seven.

Chris