Squareneck Resonator (Preferably Vintage)

Post here if you're looking for something special
Rick Contino

Squareneck Resonator (Preferably Vintage)

Post by Rick Contino »

I'm looking for an old squareneck...something that is solid and plays well but with some character. Wood or metal body. Probably a national or regal--I'm looking for that early Hawaiian sound.
Jay Yuskaitis

"ORIGINAL DOBRO"'

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Square neck, How I love the sound of the "pre war" Dobros, stamped resonators, 8 lugs or without lugs, I've listened to all the opinions of the turds on this sight, they seem to want you folks to "buy" all the CRAP" that has been thrown at us, mostly made in the oriental countries, saying, "MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK". Smarten Up folks before they own us any more than they DO. Jay Y.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Rick, what's your budget? Do you have any specific National or Regal models in mind?
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Rick Contino

details...

Post by Rick Contino »

I'd be willing to spend around $1500, but less would be nice :? I don't have any models in mind, but you might have some suggestions. I tend to like the warmer tone of the wooden bodies, but metal looks nice. I definitely need something that projects very well. An installed mic/pickup would be a plus as well (your thoughts in that field would be much appreciated).
Rick Contino

Post by Rick Contino »

back to the top
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

PM sent. Jay Y.
Mike Cass

Post by Mike Cass »

If you'll go to Gruhn Guitars' website and click on "resonator instruments" you'll find on there a pre-war California square neck Dobro that has had its neck slightly cut down, and they describe it as refinished but it looks pretty original to me. Dont let any of that eat your lunch though as Ive personally played that particular axe and its quite a fine sounding old dobro. The price listed is only $800.00 I believe, and I had considered buying it myself until a buddy of mine in Mpls. found me a '34 model 27 roundneck California Dobro just like Uncle Josh's guitar, "Julie".
Also check out a site named "GBase" as they feature quite a large selection of vintage Dobro's in the price range you mentioned; in particular a very rare "Hawaiian Radiotone" square neck Cyclops model California Dobro for around $1700.00.
Just type "Dobro" in the search box and you'll find that guitar along with all the others. Good luck.

MC
D Schubert

Post by D Schubert »

No affiliation, but Elderly Instruments has a 1937 Dobro Model 25 (square neck, small body "Angelus") listed for $1500. Also some newer ones in your price range.
Rick Contino

Post by Rick Contino »

Hey guys, thanks for the leads. I'm looking into them now.
Kevin Gallagher

1930 Tricone Square Neck

Post by Kevin Gallagher »

Rick,

Still lookoing for a vintage tricone? I have a 1930 square neck tricone. I'm at work now but if interested will fire off some pics later. Seriel #2017. More here on seriel numbers:
http://home.provide.net/~cfh/national.html#serial

Kevin
Kevin Gallagher

Tricone

Post by Kevin Gallagher »

Whoops - you'd think I could spell "serial" by now...
Fred Perry

Resonator guitar

Post by Fred Perry »

I've got a Crafters of Tennessee Tut Taylor Model square neck with wood body for sale. $1500 o/b/o.
Tab Tabscott

Get a DeNeve for $1450

Post by Tab Tabscott »

Dick DeNeve builds one of the best dobros for the money anywhere. $1450, and every bit as good or better than some of the more visible brands.
Tab
www.squarenecked.com
Tab Tabscott

Play nice.

They is none else.