Newbie question....

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Parsons

Newbie question....

Post by William Parsons »

I have an old Blanton 4S10 that I am currently playing. I only have one knee lever, which is an E, and the pedals are a zero, A,B,C. The question I have is for the zero pedal, which lowers the third string a half step. What is the purpose of this pedal as far as chords? I can't really figure out any combinations that make it useful. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks. Bill
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

In open tuning, you have an E major chord on Strings 3,4,and, 5.... or a G# on string 3, an E on string 4 and a B on string 5. G# is the third of an E major triad You are lowering the G# to G.... or lowering the 3rd which will make the major chord minor..... in this case E minor
William Parsons

Post by William Parsons »

Thanks...I wish I understood theory a little better than I do, but I'm learning. I appreciate your explanation.
Clete Ritta

Post by Clete Ritta »

William,
After reading a few threads on the forum I recently put a 0 pedal on my S12 that lowers all G#'s (3,6 and 11) a half step to G. Im a relative newbie too, but more than a bit curious as to different copedents and options.
Typically, minor chords are achieved by the A pedal for the relative minor (vi), or pedals BC for the Dorian (ii), or E lower lever for the Phrygian (iii). These are the three diatonic minor chords in a chord scale.

One of the basic functions of the G lower pedal 0 is for a minor root chord or scale (i). Combined with the A pedal, the 0 pedal produces a IV7 (among other interesting dissonant chords). Combined with E lowers, it produces an augmented chord (also among other interesting chords). I really like having this pedal so far, and finding new ways to use it inspire me to keep it.

Clete