I wired an expression pot into one of my lap steels

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Neer

I wired an expression pot into one of my lap steels

Post by Mike Neer »

I built an expression pedal from the carcass of an old Wah pedal, but I thought about my old Electar Model M (which I have used and abused and foolishly modded since since I bought 20 years ago) and decided to try to do the same onboard. The old Model M initially had 3 knobs, so there are 3 holes on the top. I used one of holes the for the stereo jack and the other for the new pot.

Got to say, it is pretty cool being able to change certain parameters of an effect with a knob on the guitar. For instance, on my VF-1, I can change my rotary settings from slow to fast, or select any other parameters I want to change. I can still use my foot for the volume pedal.

This has given me many new ideas and I am already thinking about what my next steel will be like. I was somewhat inspired by the Moog lap steel, as I see a lot of possibilities there, but I'm not convinced that their guitar is the way to go (especially at $3.5K). I am fascinated by the Moogerfooger pedals, though, especially since you can control each parameter with a separate expression pedals. I'm thinking knobs are going to take up a lot of real estate on my next steel.

It is very exciting for me to be getting back into this kind of experimentation, as it is what I had done for years as a guitarist. I built and modded (and sometimes ruined) so many of my own guitars, pedals and amps, and I learned a lot. Now I have very specific goals and I know how to get there, so I can really concentrate on that aspect.
Kevin Greenberg

expression pot

Post by Kevin Greenberg »

I never thought about that. Pretty neat idea. One day, I want to build a steel with a bunch of onboard effects. And an expression knob would be great.
Jerry Recktenwald

Post by Jerry Recktenwald »

Hey Mike my name is Jerry Recktenwald and I just built a double neck 8 string lap steel guitar. On the 8 string side I have 2 Ibanize 8 string pickups that are active. I put a phase switch and a coil cut switch. The 3 way switch for the pup's can make you sound mellow on the neck or a lot of treble on the bridge. On the other 8 string I have it strung with 6 strings with 2 humbuckers also a 3 way switch. so many choices so little time.I am having a lot of fun learning how to play and also building them too!
Richard Shatz

Post by Richard Shatz »

Please pardon my ignorance.
What is an expression pot?
David Eastwood

Post by David Eastwood »

Please pardon my ignorance.
What is an expression pot?
Many effects pedals have a jack which allows you to connect an 'expression pedal' (physically, just like a volume pedal) to control one or more parameters during performance without having to reach down/over to turn a knob by hand. Examples might be varying the delay time on a delay pedal, or the speed on a tremolo.

What Mike is talking about here is mounting that control on the guitar itself.

At least I hope that's what he's talking about - otherwise I'll need one of these :oops:
Randy Cordle

Post by Randy Cordle »

I recently saw a guitar with one of these built in:
http://www.alesis.com/airfx
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

This has given me many new ideas and I am already thinking about what my next steel will be like.
Cool stuff, looking forward to what you cook up.
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Randy Cordle wrote:http://www.alesis.com/airfx
OMG, that sounds intriguing, thanx!
John Bushouse

Post by John Bushouse »

Mike, I the lead guitarist of the band Muse has one of these in his guitar. I couldn't see how I could use it in a regular guitar, but in a steel guitar I can see a lot of possibilities.

http://www.korg.com/miniKP
Laurent Arams

Post by Laurent Arams »

Has anyone here thought of using a Roland VG8, or VG88 or VG99 on their lap steels. I used a VG8 when I was touring and needed to travel light. It was great for open tunings and clean, but I couldn't get on with the overdrive/distortion settings. Just a thought.
Laurent