The best idea yet for the Sho-bud Maverick!

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

William Semler

The best idea yet for the Sho-bud Maverick!

Post by William Semler »

Greetings, all!
When I was 18 , I bought a used Maverick (thinking I could play for Poco or Marshall Tucker). After a few lessons, and buying a business, I stuffed it in the attic. I am now 56, been playing 6 stringed slide guitars (weissenborn, dobro, ricky, chandler and cole-clark)but never professionaly.
I also lost my finger tip on my picking hand index finger 10 years ago, which changed the way I played. Recently, I dug out the Mav, but couldnt play it because the linkage was bent. Another respected poster here at the forum was going to "hot rod" it for me, but evidently had health issues, and never returned my emails after our initial conversations. In the mean time, I bought a Carter starter in perfect condition (thinking I could practice while the retrofit was done).
Best thing I ever did, because I discovered that with my "grip" the string spacing was too close together.I felt that I would never play the PSG, unless I could get that wide spacing. Frustrated with 10 strings, (and the constant hitting the wrong strings), I sold the Carter, and was going to give up...
Then I found the thread on the 6 string pedal steel guitar. It was a revelation to me, to say the least. No clunker strings with a wide spacing! SO I searched out someone to modify my Maverick, and found Jimmy Flynn of Lone Star PSG.
He is a very special guy. He makes a 6 string PSG with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers and an E9th tuning-Emmons copedent. He agreed to take my Maverick and re-invent it. Ill be posting pics as the work progresses. Bill
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

that was a cool body.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

There were two incarnations of mavericks, the second being infinitely inferior to the first.

What a shame that you bought MK I :eek:
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Maverick cabinet, MCI fretboard, unique end-plates...this thing is going to have some sort of mean mojo when it's done!

Keep us posted on how it works out. I've seen a couple of Mavericks re-worked that looked (and apparently sounded) terrific.

Sometimes we need to see the potential hidden beneath the outward appearance.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
William Semler

updated progress pics WOW

Post by William Semler »

Geoff Marshall

Post by Geoff Marshall »

I'm Stumped!!!
Ray McCarthy

Post by Ray McCarthy »

How can a six-stringer be tuned to E-9th :?:
William Semler

E9 copedant

Post by William Semler »

Lone Star Steel 6”Lite” Copedent

String     Ga.   Note       LKL      LKR     A     B    C     RKL     RKR

1.        .011     G#                                            A                    

2.        .014     E             F           D#                                      

3.        .022     B                                       C#          C#                  Bb            

4.        .022     G#                                             A                                    

5.        .034     E             F            D#                                 D                      

6.        .036     B                                        C#                                                

LKL=F lever   LKR= E lever    RKL=D lever    RKR=X lever

Tuning with PETERSON STROBE set for Sweetened E-9 for best results.

Some of the pedal and lever combinations usage. (shown for open position)

Pedal A= C# minor.
Pedal A1/2=E augmented.
Pedal  B= E suspended.
Pedal A+B=A major.
Pedal B+C=F# minor /F#m7
LKL=F diminished.
LKR=G#minor.
Pedal 04-Franklin pedal
Pedal A + F= C#
RKL=Edom7
RKR
Just some of the possibilities available on the 6”lite”.

Last edited by William Semler on 16 Sep 2023 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

well, it is cute. now what are you going to do with it? what's your total investment?
Shorty Rogers

Post by Shorty Rogers »

William, I am curious as to how and where you acquired the Maverick. I sold one through Pete Grant in San Jose around 1974 or so. Might you have bought mine?

Shorty
William Semler

Post by William Semler »

Chris-glad you think it’s "cute". Not only will it fit my needs,it looks a hell of a lot better now then it did rotting away in my attic. As for the cost, I am absolutely blown away at how inexpensive this has been. Of course,I already owned the Maverick, but it wasnt worth much (mabey 700?). As for "what will you do with it"...mabey back up in my attic?

Shorty-no such luck. I bought it for $450 used in Costa Mesa from a music store. Sorry
Last edited by William Semler on 16 Sep 2023 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

william..i actually think it's a pretty cool tool...esp. with the full blown copedent. price sounds fair considering the work involved.

shorty..i bought my first steel from pete grant in about '70! it wasn't quite as good as a maverick but it was really cheap. now i blame pete for getting me involved.
Russ Wever

Post by Russ Wever »

How can a six-stringer
be tuned to E-9th Question
An E9th requires only five
notes: a Root, a Third, a
Fifth, a Seventh and a Ninth.
~Russ
Pastor Bruce Kiser

six-stringers

Post by Pastor Bruce Kiser »

wow! wonderful work , indeed!
six stringers CAN be very enjoyable to play
and can play lots of music . the ones I build sound great , are light ,look good ,too . can be seen by using search here. congratulations on a good choice. steels are like us - there's good in there , ya
just gotta find it and bring it out.happy playing!
pastor bruce
Fred Glave

Post by Fred Glave »

Your copedant indicates 3 pedals and I see a fourth. What does that 4th pedal do?
Zum Encore, Zum Stage One, Fender 2000, Harlan Bros., Multi-Kord,
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

Looks very inventive. How far are the strings going to be off the neck...?! Looks like quite a bit.... Maybe the pictures are deceiving.
Respectfully,
david burr
William Semler

More updates pics

Post by William Semler »

4 th pedal for Franklin tuning. Notice the new alumatone pickup, along with the pickup for my Roland gk-2a. Jim Flynn has been the very best to deal with. Very inventive, as well as his craftsmanship. He is doing the final adjustments (as well as building a new case) and will be shipping it to me Monday. He said it sounds fantastic!