Zane King-Playing My Jackson Blackjack

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Zane King

Zane King-Playing My Jackson Blackjack

Post by Zane King »

This is recorded better than the previous one.
Updated link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc8tdElQiBU

Zane
Last edited by Zane King on 1 Jun 2011 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zane King
Email: zaneking@me.com
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

I have been looking forward to hearing you post with your new guitar. The upper register does sound really nice and the lows are not slouching either. It would be nice to hear something recorded using something other than a camera mic but I do think the tone comes through enough to be telling. Thanks! Now More!
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

I saw Zane play that guitar in Dallas. WOW.... I wish it would sound like that if I played it. :eek: :D
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Zane, That's a great looking guitar. It has it's own voice unlike anything else I have heard lately. But, I don't think i like the tone better than the all wood BMI you played on the Youtube clip Shadow of your smile. You will have to look long and hard to find a better tone. It would be interesting to hear the same song played on the Jackson. You can put that on your to do list. :)

My wife has been around steel guitar as long as I have. She doesn't play but she know good tone and a good player when she hears one. She walked in while I was playing your clip. She wanted to know why that steel sounded so different than others. I ask her was it a good different or bad different. She said neither, it was just different.
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Double Post. :\
Last edited by bob drawbaugh on 24 May 2011 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Bill D. - thanks so much friend! That Dallas show was a lot of fun for me. I'm so grateful that the Jacksons allowed me to play so much in their room. I think I get to have a repeat performance in St. Louis this year. YAY!

Gary C- yes that camera only catches so much. I'm just lazy! I have a full Pro Tools rig right here behind me. I'll have improved studio quality sounds soon! I just bought a new camera today! So that inspires me.

Bob D. - Always good to hear from you. Yes, that BMI is wonderful! It's truly one of a kind honestly. I am working putting Shadow of Your Smile on my new cd so we'll get a good side by comparison. I love your wife's comment. I like different. I've worked my whole musical life trying to be just a bit different. Maybe I'm getting there. :D :D
Zane King
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Zane, I watched the video last night and that BlackJack Custom is an awesome guitar! I love how the Jacksons build guitars, they're friends of mine too. I play a Blackjack Custom too, and they're wonderful steel guitars with great tone, playability, everything about the Jackson Steel is awesome! Do you use a Shot Jackson pickup?

Brett
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

Good playing and tone brother. Keep iot up.

Tony
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

It is impressive and inspiring that the "old hands" in steel building continue to innovate. Driven by innovative players who ask, "why can't I do/have this?"
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Brett D. - it is a pickup that Harry made for it.

Tony D - always good to hear from ya. THANKS!

Rich - David still looks at me strange once in a while when I ask for something....but he and I have developed a great relationship! Even now he is working on a new guitar that has some more innovation in it. David and Harry are not only great builders they are classy gentlemen!
Zane King
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

Not a good shot. I think it was taken with my cel phone, but I enjoyed my time in the Jackson Room
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

The Jackson room was smokin!

Brad Malone

some like this and some like that.

Post by Brad Malone »

Zane, That's a great looking guitar. It has it's own voice unlike anything else I have heard lately. But, I don't think i like the tone better than the all wood BMI you played on the Youtube clip Shadow of your smile. You will have to look long and hard to find a better tone. It would be interesting to hear the same song played on the Jackson. You can put that on your to do list.<<

Zane, I agree with Bob D. he voiced my feelings..that tone you had on "Shawdow of your Smile" was great..it had a real bite to it..I'm glad to see you are back posting again..you are a great player and you have the ability to make most of the modern steels sound great...please keep sharing your ideas.
Bobby Austin

New Blackjack

Post by Bobby Austin »

Zane, I just got a brand new Blackjack. I am very much a beginner but hope to be able to play it someday. It sure is pretty.
Billy Carr
Restricted

psg

Post by Billy Carr »

Is the Blackjack, all pull or pull release on the changer and is the body a wood body?
Bobby Austin

Blackjack

Post by Bobby Austin »

Billy, The Blackjack is all pull on the changer and the body is wood laminate. Hope that answers your question. I'm not to savvy on the technical aspects of a steel guitar.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

What amp were you using in the video?
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Bill L. and Steve G. - thanks for posting those pics.

Brad M - Always good to hear from you. It's pretty cool that that little version of "Shadow Of Your Smile" has become a favorite of so many. That makes me happy because I know my mentor Zane Beck would love that version too. That guitar indeed is special. I will say though just hang on because when I post something that I have recorded and synced through Pro Tools you will likely hear the tone and character even better.

Bobby A - thanks for answering Billy's questions.

Barry B - this is just recorded through my camera (which is very low quality). I am using 2 Nashville 112s.
Zane King
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Zane, taking those conditions into consideration, I thought your steel sounded perfectly fine. :)