Cajun *Capo*

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

James Burns

Cajun *Capo*

Post by James Burns »

My friend tells me the Cajun Players (who use the open G tuning) have a metal bar (capo?) that slides under the strings so that you can play in open C tuning. I want to make one .. anybody have one they can post a photo of? Or can anyone give a description on one ... I have my own ideas on what they need to be but would like to see one that works .

thank you
Jim
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Here's a few that are used on a dobro. Click Here
James Burns

Thanks Andy

Post by James Burns »

I'm hoping some cajun players on the forum who maybe have made their own will chime in too .. I'd love to see the homemade ones .. thanks for your help.

Jim
Michael Maddex

Post by Michael Maddex »

James, I'd like to see the homemade ones, too. In the meantime, you might like to check out The Sterner Capo Museum:

http://www.sternercapo.se/Capomuseum/

Enjoy.
"For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert." -- Arthur C. Clarke
Tommy Auldridge

Real simple capo for steel

Post by Tommy Auldridge »

Jeff Newman used a steel dowel pin. I have one I got from Jeff about 30 years ago. I've never really used it much, but it will work just fine. I think it's about 3/8 diameter and you just slide it under the strings by slightly lifting them one at a time. Then you just move it till it sounds in tune. Tommy.......
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I used to carry around an assortment of different diameter pieces of aluminum rod to fit under the strings of various steels. I would use a piece of adhesive (medical) tape on the bottom to to keep from marring the fretboard. My inspiration was the steel solo on Paycheck's "The Old Man and the River".
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
James Burns

thanks everyone

Post by James Burns »

I'm going to go ahead and find a pice of metal at right dimension and give it a whirl ... thanks to all who chimed in!

Jim
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Back in the day,I used a regular dobro bar turned upside down under the strings of my 60s Sho-Bud Professional and it fit just right with just the right amount of tension. Tip - glue some felt on it so it won't scratch the fretboard. Another tip - try using it on some of the strings and let others ring open.
James Burns

Great stuff!

Post by James Burns »

Thanks Michael!

Michael Johnstone wrote:Back in the day,I used a regular dobro bar turned upside down under the strings of my 60s Sho-Bud Professional and it fit just right with just the right amount of tension. Tip - glue some felt on it so it won't scratch the fretboard. Another tip - try using it on some of the strings and let others ring open.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I just slip a tone bar of the right diameter under the strings. The string tension holds it in place.
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Gene Wooten told me once that Josh Graves used to use a "church key."
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I like to be able to slide the bar over the nut. You can't do that with a capo that has anything in the way above the strings.
Randy Cordle

Post by Randy Cordle »

James,
No pics handy at the moment, but you can make a bar easily out of 3/8" by 3/4" brass bar stock. I round the top edge, cut the height down to where it needs to be, and groove the bottom of the bar. My laps have frets, so it's super easy to slide the grooved bar over a fret at the correct position. I keep my laps in open E and slide the bar under the strings for open G for the most part. Your options are obviously much broader than that.
I do the same thing for my Dobro, too.
Jim Konrad

Post by Jim Konrad »

I gotta start making these one day...
Alan Brookes

Re: A review of two capos

Post by Alan Brookes »

Michael: are you my long-lost brother ?
Your avatar looks more like me than I do. :eek:
Michael Milton

Re: A review of two capos

Post by Michael Milton »

Alan Brookes wrote:
Michael: are you my long-lost brother ?
Your avatar looks more like me than I do. :eek:
Ok, that IS spooky.... given my heritage, one never knows!
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Hi James,

I don't live in Louisiana and haven't visited in a few years, but have I seen and heard quite a few Cajun steel players. In fact, for the past two or three weeks I have been brushing up my technique and repertoire after a 10 year hiatus, to play with a Cajun dance band at a festival this weekend.

Playing tunes in C is no problem in G tuning (I'm using the Cajun standard high G on top), so a "capo" on the fifth fret (!) does not make any sense to me. You could use one at the second fret to play with a D accordion in the Keys of D and A. Some non pedal players will use a double neck steel with one neck tuned to G and the other to F (for playing with a B-flat accordion). Most males find it difficult to sing with a D accordion, so C is the most popular accordion key. Our accordion player uses a C instrument, and about 75% of the tunes we play are in G, most of of the rest in C, and a few in F and E minor. (The accordion only has the diatonic C scale notes.) The high G tuning works just fine for me.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I'm having a ball revisiting this music!

All the best,

Bob
James Burns

Cajun Capo

Post by James Burns »

Jim .. did you **make** this one?

Its a thing of beauty.

JIm B.
Jim Konrad wrote:I gotta start making these one day...
Jim Newberry

Post by Jim Newberry »

Yup, what Bob Stone says is my experience also.
"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

Hi Jim,

Nice to meet you here on the Forum. Your band is great. Belated kudos for your award from the CFMA; that's about as good as it gets for us non-Cajuns. I'm pretty sure I met Valorie at the Augusta Heritage Center in the early 1990s--a talented player and singer.

By the way, our gig at the Florida Folk Festival went very well. There were difficulties with sound on Saturday night, but at the Sunday dance we had it dialed in. I played my '59 Supro Comet through a little Peavey Envoy 110 (40W) and used a Boss GE-7 to cut the highs at 6.4 KHZ. That high G string sounded nice and fat. And my two-step chops were there--something I didn't have 10 years ago. I'm tickled. Hoping to do more with the band.

Keep up the great music.

Best,

Bob
Jim Konrad

Re: Cajun Capo

Post by Jim Konrad »

James Burns wrote:Jim .. did you **make** this one?

Its a thing of beauty.

JIm B.
Jim Konrad wrote:I gotta start making these one day...
Yes Sir, Thanks! It is my design, life has just been so full, I have not got around to making any more..