Obama-Steel fan?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

It was all a misunderstanding, some campaign chairman told the President that Marty had a push poll he should take a look at :D

all kidding aside, Marty, congratulations. I'll bet there aren't too many steel players who have had their photo taken with a president.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Marty: A Great Picture and a Great Honor to play for the President. Congratulations.
Larry Rafferty

Post by Larry Rafferty »

Congradulations! To have the President of the United States appreciate your playing is a great honor for you and a great honor for all steel players.
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

No intent here to hijack this thread, BUT, me too, had the privilege entertaining many esteemed VIPs during Obama's inauguration. Most guests were full of steam too and as you can see, Obama was looking mighty thin and he wasn't speaking much to us pickers either...
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Cool Marty. Nice picture
John Neff

Post by John Neff »

Ah, you got me, Chris. Good one! I bet playing the Tea Party circuit is a pinnacle of sorts too. Good people!
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I know you've had a lot of high points in your career, Marty, must be great to have such a nice picture of that one. Way to go.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:D Doug, I think "most" of us got that ....Stormy ;-)
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Hey Marty, it looks like you're handing him your "fair share" of taxes instead of shaking hands, eh?... :lol: :lol:

Seriously, although I don't agree with him on anything he's done (except snuffing Usama) it was indeed an honor for you to get to play for the President of the United States and congratulations to you for the honor as it's something that can't be taken away!.......JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

If you click the youtube link here is Obama espousing on the virtues of his new Franklin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PwGSlCJ ... ideo_title

Colm Chomicky

Post by Colm Chomicky »

I suppose there might be more heres a little more on the White House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCvUy540I7o
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

He also had at the White House the same evening that Colm linked in his post, along with Brad Paisley - Alison Krauss & Union Station with of course Jerry Douglas. Apparently the Prez is hip to the better side of modern country and bluegrass...

Congratulations Marty, since you are also part of the better side of modern country music. 8)

And on that same evening with Brad & AKUS, also appearing was the better side of classic country music: Charley Pride. :)
Mark
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Jerry Hayes wrote:Seriously, although I don't agree with him on anything he's done (except snuffing Usama) it was indeed an honor for you to get to play for the President of the United States and congratulations to you for the honor as it's something that can't be taken away!.......JH in Va.
You were able to enjoy all that thanx to his saving this country from the screaming economic freefall disaster we were in 2 years ago and are now staring looming prosperity in the face so we can all buy more steel guitars like we used to be able.
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

In the second of the vidoes Colm posted, the one where Brad Paisley plays Welcome to the Future, look at the President's eyes at the very end of the video. Of course you should listen to Brad's comments introducing the song, and the words of the song, as well. It seems Brad got to the president.
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

Congrats Marty! What an honor!
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Congratulations Marty! On The Today Show they ran a very brief clip of the event and your Push Pull was was the lead instrument at that moment! Like Jerry Hayes said, regardless of one's politics, it is a heck of an honor!!!
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Ron,So glad you are prospering so well under the anointed one,As for me I can't afford a set of strings,much less a new guitar. The little piss-ant raise I used to get each year,on my SS check i guess is buying fuel for that big bird that stays in the air all the time .I [and ever american] sure pays a lot for golf and I have never played a round in my life.[have'nt got it in two years]Oh yeah I forgot what has happened in the last two years DON'T THINK I CAN SURVIVE ANY MORE CHANGE. Be sure don't dare criticize the cop-hating thug that had access to the WH,last night,you will SURELY [no doubt about it ] you will be called a racist.Just see how long it will take for someone to start yelling racist,:roll: :twisted: YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Last edited by Charles Davidson on 12 May 2011 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Marty Muse

Post by Marty Muse »

Thanks for all of the cyber high fives guys. I must say I am very proud of all of you . Through three pages of posts, when things could have turned ugly, you have risen above partisan politics and just stayed on topic. Very, very civilized! It was truly a great night for us.
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

Hi Marty,

Nice pic! Good work. It must have been quite a thrill.

Joe
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Congratulations Marty. Playing for the President of The United States would would definitely be the height of my career. What an honor.
Joe Shelby

Post by Joe Shelby »

Such an honor, Marty! Big congratulations big guy!

Joe.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Great photo......great guitar with a changer we can believe in......
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Great advertisement! :)
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I don't think the President said anything about push-pull. I think he said "Steel Guitar Rag" or "you're not one of them mote and alligator kinda guys are you?"
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

HowardR wrote:Great photo......great guitar with a changer we can believe in......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that's some funny steel guitar humor!!!
Respectfully,
david burr