Sierra 8 string lap steel used would like to buy

Post here if you're looking for something special
Steve Krupp

Sierra 8 string lap steel used would like to buy

Post by Steve Krupp »

Hi I am new to the forum, I am a fiddle player and I am interested in learning to play a lap steel guitar. I recently heard a fellow play a Sierra 8 string and I was astonished by the tone and sustain with just a small Fender amp and a volume pedal. I would like to buy a used one. A new one is a little more than I wanted to spend. But if someone has another instrument to suggest that is of similar quality to begin learning on I would be interested in it. Thanks
Marvin Born

Post by Marvin Born »

It sounds like you have heard Wilson Brinkly.

Marvin
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

What's your budget, Steve? Are you looking for an eight string lap steel, or would a six string do for starting out?
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Steve Krupp

Wilson and his Sierra

Post by Steve Krupp »

Yes the guy I heard playing has an older fellow named Wilson is that him? I didn,t know his last name. He was very gracious and let me play on his Sierra for a couple of minutes. I met him at a jam session of folk/country musicians in North Columbus. I saw him tonight at a jam session as a matter of fact. What a coincidence that you have guessed that, he must be well known, he plays quite well. Do you have any suggestions on a nice lap steel to learn on, or the best way to get started understanding and learning to play one? Dobros don't particularly interest me ? As if I don't have enough to do playing the violin and learning a mandolin. The steel guitar just looks interesting to me and has always fascinated me as to how it is played and the sound of it is beautiful. Wilson suggested that 8 strings give you more range and it is easier to play that 6 strings if I understood him correctly.I would like to see if I could learn to play one but I don't want to get in over my head with a complex instrument with a lot of pedals and necks, become frustrated and lose interest.
Steve Krupp

Not sure 6 or 8 strings

Post by Steve Krupp »

Brad thanks for your reply what would you suggest as to starting out. As you may have read on my post My friend Wilson suggested that 8 strings tuned to C6 gives a better range and makes picking easier that a 6 string if I understood what he was saying. I am looking for an instrument that sounds nice for country and bluegrass has good playability and is not so cheap that it starts falling apart and everything needs to be replaced with better parts.
Herby Wallace

Sierra Lap Steels

Post by Herby Wallace »

Yes, Wilson is a good friend of mine too and he actually bought his Sierra new from me several years ago and of course, he likes it better than anything he has ever played. I just sold a new one to a customer about 2 weeks ago and for my taste, it is still the finest lap steel on the market today. The tone and sustain are unbelievable. The Sierra people spent a lot of time and thought when they designed this guitar. In all the years I have been selling these though, I have never had a used one traded in yet, so that is going to be hard to find. Again, if you ever change your mind, I have been a dealer for many years and I will be glad to get you a new one.

Herby Wallace
Earl Hensley

Sierra Lap

Post by Earl Hensley »

Steve, you would be better off buying from Herbie, than waiting for a used one. For one thing, herbie is one of the very best to deal with, and could help you with some of his tab. Just a suggestion.

Earl
300 watt Tube Works Bass Head, Peavey Bass Amp,
Hand made George Washburn Spirit,
Fender Tele', Native American Flute, Rogue 6 string lap steel
Epiphone Les Paul, potato-bug mandolin