Phil Coontz Remembered

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Al Miller

Phil Coontz Remembered

Post by Al Miller »

Well Its been a yr already since my ole buddy Phil Coontz left us to join the lord.. Wow!!! does time fly .. I miss my friend ! Remembering you today Hoss !!!
Boo Miller
Last edited by Al Miller on 28 Apr 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Sure miss Phil. Hard to believe its been a year. Here's a pic of Phil. Thanks Boo for reminding us.

Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

Phis was one great person, musician, and a very dear friend. I had numerous great times with Phil. Every time we got together we laughed and had a good time. Phil is dearly missed by many people.
Bob Hempker
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Phil was one of the good ole boys. A pleasure to be around.
he was gracious enough to play one of my Justice Guitars on two different shows, the KSGA at Baxter Springs and the OZSGA in Branson. We was just talking about him ordering a wood body lacquer guitar.
Phil is for sure missed by a lot of folks.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Bill Myrick

Post by Bill Myrick »

And for you folks that don't know Mr Fred---he eats road runner and etc but he tells things like they are !!! - ;-)

Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Phil and I had a lot in common at one time before he lost some weight and we both use to wear big Black stetson. We did a lot of jamming and laughing down town at Reel Country and Gabes and generally any place they would let us pick :-) We sat out on the patio at Gabes many a night with Bob Hempker along with others and solved all the problems in the music biz :-)

Phil I know you're having a wonderful time in Paradise and don't worry we will all be there to see you someday till then Thanks for all the fun and laughter you gave this world not to even mention the wonderful playing!!

Big Bob
***Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow***
David Young

Phil

Post by David Young »

Phil was so much fun to be around. I loved him and his fine playing. I was just thinking about him too. I miss him.
Hello to all my steel guitar playing friends. You are in my prayers as you travel to all the shows. I'll see you when I can. Rev. David L. Young / 2007 Martin D-41 Special, 1999 Tacoma DM-9, 2012 Bourgeois Cocobolo back and sides with an Adirondack Spruce top.
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

Will someone comment about the accident that took Phil's life.
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Al Miller

Post by Al Miller »

Donna , I'm not really sure I understand your question .. But if your asking what happened to phil the answer is a very tragic and freak accident with a garden tractor. To make it short he was riding a garden tractor near his house where it is very hilly and it started free wheeling down the hill and he lost control the result was we lost phil. One of Mickey Gilley's background singers (Katy Lynn) drove up on the accident scene shortly after it happened and was with him until he passed .. God bless her !!
I hope this answers your question.
Boo Miller
AL (BOO) Miller
Mullen D10
76 Emmons P/P
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

Thank you, Boo. I knew it had to do with a riding lawn mower, but I couldn't remember what it was. How tragic.
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Boo, thanks for the explanation because I had never heard and I was hesitant to ask for fear of folks thinking I was just being nosy but I truly loved Phil and always will!!! Thanks

Big Bob
***Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow***
Eddie Lane

Post by Eddie Lane »

Phil was a very good friend to me also and I sure miss him too. He was the same every day. It's hard to believe that he has been gone a year.

Eddie
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Phil Coontz was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet!

He was supposed to come and play our steel guitar show at Marshfield one year and that year his brother got terminaly ill and Phil went to see his brother. He told me his brother died 5 days later.

The next year he came and played our steel guitar show at Marshfield and everybody loved him. The next year he was scheduled to make it but never made it because of the accident. I loved to visit with him and really enjoyed his playing.

He was just a great guy and great player! Miss you Phil!

GOD bless his family and friends!

Terry Wood