Stand for lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Cody Angel

Stand for lap steel

Post by Cody Angel »

I want to do a Junior Brownish steel and guitar thang and need to figure out how to stand the steel. I want to stand behind it guitar around my neck. Anybody tried this or have ideas?
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I'd think one of Mark Roeder's stands would be perfect for this application.
http://www.deluxe34.com
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

I have two stands that I love...one is just a heavy duty Key Board stand, and the other is a MSA stand I think it is. I wind up using the KB stand more because it is so easy to set up. With an A/B box to switch between the guitar & lap steel, it is quick and easy. Also...check this old thread...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ight=stand
William Craven

Keyboard

Post by William Craven »

I made my own (really had a friend do it for me) but it was also based on the ironing board style keyboard stand. Easy to move and fits in our stand case.
Bruce Terrell

Post by Bruce Terrell »

I saw a guy actually use an ironing board and thought it was pretty hilarious.
James Inkster

Post by James Inkster »

I'm using one of Mark's stands slanted forward at a 25 degree angle. Works perfectly.
I'd say that he could go with an even steeper angle if desired... but 25 is plenty imho -- the audience can clearly see what's going on, and the guitar isn't so vertical as to require technique adjustments...
Mary McCanta

Post by Mary McCanta »

The Roeder stands look awesome but if you can't afford that then Terry's suggestion of a keyboard stand is great. I got a $50 stand from Amazon that's sturdy and light. I never play on my lap now! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EXIMFI
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

I sometimes use a "walker" that I bought from a thrift store for a couple of bucks.........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
William Craven

Post by William Craven »

A walker? Thats awesome, did you paint it black? Put stickers on it? Put tennis balls on it's feet? I'm looking for a walker tomorrow
James Inkster

Post by James Inkster »

When Cody mentioned "Junior Brownish" i assumed he meant playing standing with the steel sloped toward the crowd... hence my suggestion. Otherwise I"m sure a flat keyboard stand, etc, would make do.

Cody?