New MB200 Arrives!!!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I'm testing a new prototype 15" Eminence Neo Speaker "PS15" (4 ohms) with the MB200. I just got the cabinet "mostly" assembled and installed the speaker in it. The cabinet is almost the same size as a Nashville 112 (except 1" taller). I don't have the back pieces on yet (I'm only planning on putting a 4" back on the top rear and a 4" back on the bottom rear) so the response may change when I get it completed.

But after installing the PS15 speaker I wanted to test it out. I used my wife's GFI Expo S-10 and the PS15 sounds like a JBL. The first impression I got was the feeling I was playing through my old Fender Twin Reverb (AB768 chassis) that had a JBL K-130 speaker installed in it. My initial evaluation goes along with what Ken Fox found, as he has one of the prototypes. Eminence engineering told me they were targeting this as a lighter option to the Peavey 1501 speaker that is used in Peavey steel amps. According to Mike Brown, the 1501 Black Widow speaker was made as a higher power handling alternative to the JBL that was used in the original Session 400. Thus it sounds like Eminence has "hit the nail on the head".

This speaker, if it goes into production, will be part of their "Kappalite" line and not the "Deltalite" line of speakers. It is a little heavier (about 3 or 4 lbs) than a 15" SICA speaker and is also heavier than their Deltalite 15" speaker that was used in some Evans SE-200 steel amps.

I also have a SICA 15" and I'll be building a cabinet for it and then can compare speakers.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jay Ganz

Wattage rating

Post by Jay Ganz »

So then the wattage rating will be the same as the Kappalites? What type of dust cover is in the center of the cone?
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

It's got a silver color dust cover. I didn't weigh the cabinet before the speaker was installed but it is 25 lbs with the speaker installed and probably about 16 lbs without speaker. The cabinet is 21X17X10 (the same as a Nashville 112 except 1" taller). The cabinet was built with Pine lumber (1X12's cut down to 10")and the speaker baffle is 1/2" plywood. I normally use 3/4" for the speaker baffle but to keep down the weight I'm trying 1/2".

I'll post a picture later.

Eminence engineering didn't say what the power handling will be, but as it will be marketed as a "direct" replacement for a 1501-4 BW speaker I would say the power handling will be the same. My contact at Eminence is out of the office this week, I can't get any info from him.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Here are some quick pictures of the Eminence PS15.
The rear is cut off thanks to the photographer.

The two speaker mounting strips will be painted black, eventually.

Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

I am an Eminence dealer and will be handling these new speakers. I will have a great price for Forum members. I am waiting for these to be made available from Eminence. www.hattoncases.net
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

After doing some playing, using my Franklin D-10 with Lawrence 710 pickups rather than the S10 GFI, I have to temper my initial evaluation of the Eminence PS15. It has too much highs, for my personal taste. I have had to cut the Treble and both Mid controls to between 10 and 11 O'clock on the knobs and jack up the bass to 1 O'clock on the MB200 and still sounds a little too much emphasis on the mid/highs.

I'll see how the SICA is with the MB200. I'll be working on it today and tomorrow.
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Kevin Hatton wrote:I am an Eminence dealer and will be handling these new speakers. I will have a great price for Forum members. I am waiting for these to be made available from Eminence.
So, you're saying you know for sure that they will be offered at some point? I thought they were strictly prototypes for possible production.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Jay, I don't. I am waiting from word from the company after prototyping is done. As far as mid high's are concerned, give me more. That's exactly what JBL's had.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

I have an old Nashville 400 cab with the 15" BW speaker...(I took the old chassis out cuz I grew tired of repairing it.) The MB200 sounds GREAT through that speaker...

My 12' Celestion in the Theile cab sounds OK but when pushed it breaks up. :\
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Kevin, the PS15 sounds great with the GFI Expo S-10 and stock GFI II pickiup, which is basically a George L's E-66. But with my Franklin and the Lawrence 710 pickups it's too much.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Anyone know what the Eminence PS15 power rating will be? (250 Watts? or more)
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Eminence didn't give me any power specs. But, as it's designed to compete and/or be a replacement for the Peavey 1501-4 I would say it's rating will be at least what the 1501-4 is. My contact in Eminence is in Germany for a trade show so I won't be able to get anything till he gets back.

I also have to backtrack again on my evaluation. After playing it for several hours today with my Franklin it's sounding better and better. Maybe it's a "break in" thing.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Jack, I think this demonstrates also that matching the guitar to the pickup to the amp can make a world of difference. I am not a fan of Black Widow speakers. I am a JBL fan. That being said I have already heard a couple of speakers from Eminence that are quite JBL like. Let us know any further observations. Your opinion here is valuable.
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

I am not very hard to please when it comes to what I hear...I don't really try to find an elusive sound.

If the sound is full and not too bright..I'm a happy little guy! 8)
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I got the "temporary" cabinet done for the SICA (it was a hurry up job). The cabinet is 17 1/2 X 17 1/2 X 10 outside dimensions. The speaker mounting baffle is 16 X 16". Wight with the SICA speaker is 21 lbs (4 lbs lighter than the cabinet with the Eminence PS15 but the PS15 is 3 lbs heavier and the cabinet is slightly larger). Because the SICA is metric I did have to "customize" the hold down clamps for the metal grill over the speaker.

Initial thoughts are the SICA is better for my needs as it has more low end which is needed on the C6th. The Eminence is great too but does not have the low end that the SICA does. But, it depends on the guitar/pickups,amp,etc as to which would be better. With the GFI Expo S-10 with the GFI Pickup (basically a George L's E66) the Eminince sounds great.

I have a gig tonight and I'm taking both with me and will give both a shot. I also have a gig tomorrow (day) at a different location (same place as our club jams) and will try them there. I'll also have both available at our monthly club jam, Wednesday evening, for anyone to try with their amp.

Here are pictures of the SICA installed in the "temporary" cabinet.

Tom Wolverton

a stringmaster thru the MB200

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Just for grins, here a crummy video-recording of my Fender Stringmaster thru the GK MB200 amp and into a PV BW 12" speaker. (Thanks to Tommy Butler for selling me this speaker - I like it).

Only effect is my Wet Reverb pedal.

Note: our Tele B-bending lead guitarist is playing thru an MB200 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5SUOiKqaWM
Kevin Mincke

Post by Kevin Mincke »

Nice Tom, but where's the hat? ;-)

I'll have to admit, you're a cool dude either way. Again, nice straight steel playin'
Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 13 Apr 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Don't you know? I've got a dome tweeter on top. Not supposed to cover it up, according to the bylaws of the Brotherhood of Bald Steel Players. : )
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

I am also an Eminence dealer and an OEM for Eminence speakers. I am in contact with the design folks and they are making a 12" version for my evaluation (per my request). As soon as I know more I will be posting info. I got an email today confirming they will be getting back ASAP with any news.

We also got in 50 of the SICA 4 ohm speakers rated at 250 watts. On the 15th there will be an across the board price increase on all SICA and Jensen speakers. I am also a Jensen/SICA OEM and dealer. We will be selling these at the old price but the website will reflect the new price. When you go to checkout the old price will show up in the cart. This will only apply to the 15", 250 watt SICA (until this supply is exhausted). After that there will be an increase to the new price. We have 47 left at this time.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I had both the Eminence PS15 prototype speaker and the SICA speaker at our Florida Steel Guitar Club jam last night. The general comments were that both sounded good but the Eminence had a lot of mids/highs and the SICA was "smoother". As with the steeler's at the gig's I did Monday night and Tuesday (day) everyone agreed either one would work.

My own personal opinion after limited job playing (two gigs) is that the Eminence is "voiced" more like a "lead guitar" speaker.
George Macdonald

Speakers

Post by George Macdonald »

Jack, I've enjoyed and appreciated the input you are providing comparing the Sica to the new proto-type by Eminence. Is there any chance you could add a 1501-4 Black Widow Neo to the mix and let us know how that compares to the Sica? I have a Sica in a cab built by Tommy Huff and powered by the MB-200. As soon as Tommy has the time to build me a second cab, I'll be putting a Black Widow Neo in it. Not that I am in any way unhappy with the Sica. It is a great speaker IMO.
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

Well, mine arrived today! I will try it thru my webb JBL until tommy huff finishes my cabinet and joe naylor ships my new stealseat.

It was a weight thing that pushed me to this combination and I am excited to report back soon!
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Thanks Jack for your comparisons.

I did a similar thing with the 12 inchers and settled on the Sica.

Kirk,

The 4ohm JBL in my old Session 400 was one of the first speakers I tried my MB200 with. I think you'll be pleasantly pleased with the results. :D

I know you'll love Joe's steel seat, and Tommy's cabinet! :D :D
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I don't have a 1501-4BW to compare. But, talking to Ken Fox the Eminence PS15 prototypes have about the same frequency response as the 1501-4 - what Eminence was shooting for. In that light they've done their "homework". The 1501-4 BW, according to Mike Brown at Peavey, was designed by Peavey to sound like the JBL that they were using, except handle higher power. The Eminence PS15 does that too as I had a musician in the audience at a show Tuesday and during a break he came up to the stage and wanted to know what model JBL I was using.

As I've been doing a "field test" evaluation for Eminence, I have recorded some small E9th and C6th clips of the PS15, SICA and the stock Peavey (Eminence) Blue Marvel speaker in the Nashville 112 amp that I have sent to Eminence. I used the Nashville 112 amp for all speakers and also the MB200 with the PS15.

The clips can be accessed on my web site. One note, they are wav files and thus each sample is abour 6 to 7 MB file size. I used wav files as they are "full fidelity" where an MP3 file is "something less" than full fidelity.

Here is the link:
http://www.gulfcoaststeelguitar.com/sptest.htm

I heard more mids/highs from the PS15 on stage at one location last week but I've been working with the MB200's EQ and have a better handle on that. The speakers are all fairly close to each other as they were recorded in my "recording studio". There are subtle differences but you have to listen for them.

I took both speakers and the MB200 to our Florida Steel Guitar Club jam this past Wednesday. A couple of the guys that are using an MB200 tried the Eminence PS15. The general agreement was that the SICA was smoother but either would be acceptable.

I've got two picking jobs next week, Monday and Tuesday and I'm going to use the MB200/PS15 on both jobs.
Chris Erbacher

Post by Chris Erbacher »

anyone take one apart yet and put some auricaps in there? or other high end audiophile caps? just curious...how does it sound compared to a fender?