Multi FX

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Anderson

Multi FX

Post by Rick Anderson »

Does anybody use or know someone who uses a Digitec GSP 1101 Guitar Pros/FX?? Would like to know if its worth getting?
Thanks
Rick
2 Super Pro's- Derby 8x6- Power Slide- Baratone- NV1000 -2)NV400, Lexicon MPX1/MX200-
tc electronic G*Major2 - Digitect GSP 1101- -Dobro. MXR resonator CSPO 15 by Tom Bradshaw
Larry Bell

Post by Larry Bell »

I have always used multiFx processors built for 6 string guitar. I've been 'round the block from pedalboards to individual stompboxes to rack systems and finally settled on the Boss GT series (currently using a GT-6 and GT-8 ) which I strongly recommend. I prefer a non-rackmount processor currently, but that could change at any time.

I haven't used that particular unit, but I did use a Digitech 2112 for many years and it was a wonderful combination of tube preamp and fx processor.

You'll get a wide variety of reviews or opinions, but if you know how to eq your rig, set reverb and delay you'll have no problem with any of the slew of multiFx systems out there. Many are in that $450-500 price range. I like TC Electronics, Roland/Boss, Digitech, and Line6 (more or less in that order for my personal preference).
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
My CD's: 'I've Got Friends in COLD Places' - 'Pedal Steel Guitar'
2021 Rittenberry S/D-12 8x7, 1976 Emmons S/D-12 7x6, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro, Quilter ToneBlock 202 TT-12
Rick Anderson

Post by Rick Anderson »

Thank you Larry, for your response!
Rick
2 Super Pro's- Derby 8x6- Power Slide- Baratone- NV1000 -2)NV400, Lexicon MPX1/MX200-
tc electronic G*Major2 - Digitect GSP 1101- -Dobro. MXR resonator CSPO 15 by Tom Bradshaw
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

The GSP 1101 is a rackmount version of their latest line using the "Audio DNA2" chip. This includes the RP150, RP250, RP350, RP500, and the RP155, 255, 355, RP1000 floor units. There is no real comparison with the older Digitech modelers, before this chip. These units all share the same basic architecture, just some have more models and more variability. There are some people so prejudiced against "multi-" devices that Digitech has introduces the Hardwire pedals using each using just a single effect of the chip. You can spend $500 and get separate Hardwire delay, reverb, chorus, overdrive pedals or spend $100 and get a RP155 with the exact same things....

The Digitech RV-7 reverb is really popular around here, as is the RP150/155 for effects, with the amp modeling off. I sold all my POD stuff when I got a RP250, and I would only be able to replace it with another Digitech unit, or one of the plus-$900 rigs like the Axe-FX. The Digitechs seem to me to be more musical than the Line6 or Boss stuff, like the engineers didn't kick the musicians out of the room quite so early in the design process. If you search around for "Digitech" and "RV7" and such, you'll get a good idea.

I did find that to get the best out of the RP250, you have to get involved with the computer editing function. For example, the RP's mid-point for the treble and midrange circuits was often really high, like around 3600MHz and 2200MHz. With the computer you can adjust them downwards, like a parametric EQ, then save that model and write variants off of it. I don't know if the GSP lets you access that with just the knobs or not. If you want to get familiar with just the basic sound of the unit, you could pick up a RP150 for well under $100 these days. Just make sure it's NOT a 100, 200, 300, 80 or 70 or something, it has to have the "-50" or "-55" suffix and the Audio DNA2 chip.
Rick Anderson

Post by Rick Anderson »

Thanks David,
The info was helpful for sure. I use all rack gear and wanted to slim down and have the ability to use the Digitec 1101for the easy eq and disortion for my steel, my lexicon is limited for what I need. Though some have a programable eq ( set it and forget it...lol) I like to adjust and fine tune when I need to. Thanks again...have a good day!
Rick
Gary Richardi

Post by Gary Richardi »

I've had varying experiences with Digitech products but I picked up a used RP-500, which has a similar architecture as the 1101, and was pleasantly surprised with it, especially with the distortion "stomp box" models. I expected them to be bad, as they were on the awful GNX1 I got rid of, but they are surprisingly good and very usable. The only disappointment was the harmonizer effect which glitches badly and is unusable.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

A lot of the more complicated effects like a harmonizer, pitch shifter, ring modulator & particularly a "synth" sound can be adjusted to work in a certain frequency range much better than others. Even phaser and flange-type stuff often has a big volume dropoff in certain areas, but you get to choose where when you set it up! I have a Boss VF-1 that has a great monophonic synth setting, and you can get in and tweak a zillion different ways... only, it's only going to work great in a 2 octave range. Bass playing is completely out, and nothing above about a B4 (7th fret of high string on a six-shooter) will trigger worth a darn. But you get to choose your octave with the knobs... actually, harmonizers never sound "right" to me, if by "right" you mean two instruments playing together.
Gary Richardi

Post by Gary Richardi »

I've worked with a bunch of harmonizers and the one in the RP-500 was just unusable no matter what I tried. I finally bit the bullet and got an Eventide Pitchfactor. Not THAT'S a harmonizer!