How Many Steel Guitarists Originally Played Lead Guitar?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Howard,

Thanks for coming aboard and sharing your extended musical endeavors. Isn't it difficult to choose at times between the various stringed instruments, when you feel like a couple hours of practice. Even two instruments can offer thoughts of choosing between the two, a consideration worthy of note. 8)
Howard Hughes
Location: Roanoke/South Norfolk, Virginia - Now Living In Junction City, Kansas USA

Post by Howard Hughes »

Hay Bill,

You're Welcome!, (Sorry For The Double Post).
I Have Found That To Be True Over The Years, As I Have Played Different Instruments In Different Bands Over The Years!.
I Loved Playing Lead, Bass & (Still Learning Steel, After All These Years, :lol: ), But I Always Go Back To My Banjo as My "When I'm Blue" Toy, Or My 6-string Martin, To Lift My Spirts.
But I Found That Being A Lead Player First Has Help Me With My Pedal Steel Guitar Playing Quite A Bit!
But It Dosen't Matter What You Play, Just as Long as You Enjoy It & It's "Country", :lol: ...
Take Care, Blessings, "Keep On Picking", From The Land Of OZ- ♫Howie-"The Wizard"♫ :whoa:
Last edited by Howard Hughes on 7 Apr 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Italia Maranello Gold Sparkle Guitar/6-string Lap Steel Guitar (LDG-Green)-Custom Made By Andy Hinton, (August 10, 1933 - July 3, 2011). "RIP My Friend!!", "I Think Of You Everyday & Really Miss Our Talks!!"/Coated Finger Picks By Andy Hinton/"KEEP ON PICKIN"/Blessings!/ "May You Always Have Love & Wealth To Share, Health To Spare and Friends Who Care!"/Your Fan & Friend - From The Land Of OZ - ♫Howie- "The Wizard"♫ ☺ ♥
Jack Francis

Post by Jack Francis »

Can't seem to set the guitar down long enough to be a decent steel player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqeJ9dzK2Fc
DESERT ROSE D-10 8/5...Joe Naylor "SteelSeat"...
Gallien-Krueger MB200 amplifier through an Alessis MicroVerb w/15'Peavey cab.
TELES & STRATS...
FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jack,

It could be time to shift priorities. :)
Larry Waisner

Guitar Pickin :O)

Post by Larry Waisner »

Both my parents were utility players and I followed right along. Playing Bass, 5 string banjo, rythmn guitar. Then I got serious around age fifteen and started playing lead guitar, fiddle, mandolin, Dobro and I stayed very busy for forty plus years. five years ago I bought a E9th sinlge neck and I love playing it and still play lead guitar. Music has been and still is today a complete passion.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

Thanks for sharing some of your musical interests. For my part, I've settled on the joys of playing pedal steel guitar, and a centuries old tradition of playing Spanish guitars. Leo Fender, Bigsby, and Gibson opened up the solid body creations to the delight of thousands of jazz, blues, and country musicians. I believe that most senior steel players are well versed in how to hold a Strat, or Tele, FENDER guitar.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

For my part, I've settled on the joys of playing pedal steel guitar, and a centuries old tradition of playing Spanish guitars.
Bill, you must be older than I thought. :lol:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

Neither of us can be accredited with introducing the "slide" guitar or its culmination into something special. We are just two participants in the same musical endeavors. Nothing more, nothing less.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

I had one of those Fender Tele guitars one time,But don't think I was holding it right. :( YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

Hey Charlie, how is it going with you, where you playing now, I'm playing at the ELKS club on Friday night waiting for the Catala vfw to get a pouring permit, then we play there on Saturday,Shorty
Freddie Wooton

Post by Freddie Wooton »

I did and still Do.
Jan Viljoen

From guitar to pedal steel.

Post by Jan Viljoen »

I started box guitar when I was 14. My father played 3 chords on a banjo but my musical interest was kindled by my mother on piano.

Then I got my first electric guitar and the bug was permanently in my blood. I switched to lead soon after that.
Mandolin followed after I read about Bill Monroe and bluegrass.
I changed to sax after Boots Randolph and John Coltrane, and learnt to read notes, but headaches toned that down.

Then the lapsteel followed and then strange names followed my brain: cheesecutter, table with wires, infernal contraption, etc.
The Pedal steel entered the African sky, and Buddy E with others played a big part.

I was finally hooked to an instrument that tickles me, challenges me and satisfies me.
As somebody here mentioned, this is a tool to express inner feelings. The inner poet struggling to come out?

Practice and deliver you poems.

The technical development that went into this instrument never seizes to amaze me.
How did they work it all out?
I must admit the sax is also 'n very technical piece of rolled metal, but the PSG is an instrument that will never bore me.

Thanx for a nice post.
Last edited by Jan Viljoen on 12 Apr 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sierra S10, Stage One, Gibson BR4, Framus, Guya 6&8, Hofner lap, Custom mandolins, Keilwerth sax.
Roland Cube 80XL, Peavey112-Valve King and Special, Marshall 100VS.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Jan,

Thanks for the interesting post. It's quite amazing how different influences play an important part in how a musician reaches the highest level of enthusiasm; one that builds continuously throughout a career in the art of playing pedal steel guitars. To reach levels of performances that command the utmost respect, will require dedication that is perceived by onlookers as a lifestyle unchanged. Those who were unaware in the beginning of the great pleasures found after progressive practicing on the pedal steel guitar, in most selectivities, were trained previously on the 6 stringed guitar. Notes are notes, the source matters not. All of the notes that are playable on the Spanish guitar, are found between the two bridges of the steel guitar.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Bill Hankey wrote:Jan,

Notes are notes, the source matters not. All of the notes that are playable on the Spanish guitar, are found between the two bridges of the steel guitar.
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.