Acm

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Bruce Deamude

Acm

Post by Bruce Deamude »

I couldn't stand to watch the whole show. WORST EVER!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

It quickly turned ugly. Not even music. I barely lasted twenty minutes. Flame me, I don't even care, I'm a geezer. Merciful God, when's "The Kennedys" coming on??
Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 3 Apr 2011 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Hokanson

Acm

Post by Paul Hokanson »

Total junk, had it on for awhile and even my dogs left the room. The last ACM I'll ever watch. I'm sure glad I play with REAL COUNTRY Musicians. If I had to play this crap I'd never play again.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I only tuned in close to the end and I really enjoyed the Zac Brown Band with James Taylor sitting in. I thought they were outstanding, and James is such an icon, when they segued into "Sweet Baby James" it was just great and the esteem the audience obviously held him in was really moving. And Bruce Bouton had a nice close-up shot and a good steel solo in Reba's tune.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

B3 organs and fuzz guitars. All rock. I agree. If I had to play that crap I'd sell everything. Nothing country about it.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I saw parts of it. Most of the music was absolute crap, unlistenable... lame songs, terrible singers, idiotic lyrics, non-existent melodies. Typical "top 40 country"... a mix of bad rock, bad pop, bad country. The classic singers and songwriters of yesteryear can rest assured that their songs will live forever, because the stuff the industry is selling today will be long forgotten in future years.

Having said that... the Darius Ruker performance with the disabled kids was heartfelt and real. And the Zach Brown/James Taylor collaboration was pretty cool. The rest of it was disposable nonsense.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

That's where country music has gone. R'n'R.
I wouldn't have minded playing it when I was 25. Come'on, it's for kids.
Donno that I'll renew my ACM card. I've been a member since 1979. It's not music I know anymore.
heavily medicated for your safety
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Jim nice to hear that you really enjoyed the parts you saw .... you guys have got bugger all to grizzle about - jeez we don't even have country radio stations down here, let alone the CMA's !
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

...we don't even have country radio stations down here
Paddy, we don't have country radio stations here anymore either. We have Top 40/pop/rock/country stations that are selling themselves as "country". It's a fraud that's being committed by the music industry on the public. They have hi-jacked the term "country music" to make money selling pop/rock/hiphop/country to the younger generation. Believe me, you wouldn't bother to tune in and listen to today's "country" if you lived here. You would not recognize it as such. If you want real country music you have to seek it elsewhere, on the internet, satellite radio, youtube, etc. New, real country music is still being recorded, but you have to search hard to find it.
Will Houston

Post by Will Houston »

Don't know why you guys even turn it on. I see the commercials for these things and who's going to be on. Why would I want to watch it??
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Well,it's not what country players would call country,but think how much more dreadful all that stuff would be if it didn't have the little country influence it does have. :whoa:
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Watch out guys,Some of those that REALLY do think this was a country music show will be calling all of you old geezers that don't know the difference between country and rock or pop. James Taylor :?: PLEASE.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Steve Green

Post by Steve Green »

Jim Cohen wrote:. . . and James is such an icon, when they segued into "Sweet Baby James" it was just great and the esteem the audience obviously held him in was really moving. . .
I was watching some show back in the early to mid 90's -- maybe a CMA or ACM awards show, or maybe just a Garth Brooks special -- but I think I remember Garth doing "A Dream Is Like A River" with James Taylor and they segued into "Sweet Baby James" with about the same reaction from the audience.
Diego Sciocchetti

Post by Diego Sciocchetti »

How right you are guys! I agree with you, so, contemporary country music has good singers but for thousands of reasons they are and will remain niche...that's the reason why here in italy (country music is not too appreciated) we receive just rascal flatts, taylor swift and a few others...I like contemporary players as james lann, todd fritsch, justin moore, etc. can you gimme some suggestion about country players you like to listen nowdays? any suggestion is appreciated, thanks
GFI D10-Rains sd10
Bill Cutright

Post by Bill Cutright »

Diego,
I, regularly, skim thru the9513 blog, and there are some links there to some other blogs that relate to Country music.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

The ACM is obviously just another commercial arm of the production business.

The game is rigged, don't play it.

Many thanks to the pro steelers that are doing their best to keep some adherence to country music's roots.
Last edited by Ray Minich on 4 Apr 2011 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawyers are done: Emmons SD-10, 3 Dekleys including a D10, NV400, and lots of effects units to cover my clams...
Charlie Thompson

Country?

Post by Charlie Thompson »

I admit I haven't haven't watched one of these in a while but I thought I'd tune in try to catch a glimpse of a steel player..Don't get me wrong, I like rock music, I like Steven Tyler, I like some of the "Entertainers" but this is about as far as we've ever drifted from Country Music....seems like all you need is a twangy voice and a hot body and you're a hit...which is fine...just don't call it country. Its a disgrace to the tried and true of the genre..
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Steven & Carrie did a great job!
I loved Sara Evans & Keith Urban.
I really wanted Easton Corbin to win, new artist!
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

Theresa, I would be interested in Gregg's 2 cent's. :)
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

And who taught those guys running the sound how to mix? Guitars and drums so loud you couldn't hear the singer (assuming you wanted to).
Roger Hand

""" country ?????? music ???

Post by Roger Hand »

Guess i didn't miss much, and feel real lucky
we have a local radio station that plays real country 24 hrs a day[ 60-70-80s ]
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Greg,
Gregg doesn't like all of it. He didn't like all the old stuff, either. :)
Greg Wisecup

Post by Greg Wisecup »

I'm with Gregg,,,,,,,,,,my wife's with you.!
Derby SD-10 4&5 Black!(duh)/
Derby D-10/Steelers Choice/
Goodrich 120/ 2- Katana Boss 100's
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'm sorry I missed JT - if I'd have known I'd have watched.

I'm sure most of the show was an insult to the intelligence, but so was 'Hee Haw'.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

And who taught those guys running the sound how to mix? Guitars and drums so loud you couldn't hear the singer (assuming you wanted to).
In my experience, this has been the norm for quite some time now.
I'm sure most of the show was an insult to the intelligence, but so was 'Hee Haw'.
The difference here being, "Hee Haw" didn't take itself so seriously.