Ralph Mooney..1928-2011

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Laura Dooley

My grandpa!

Post by Laura Dooley »

I want to sincerely tell everyone here on this forum how surprised and thankful I am for all the posts about my grandpa. It's very overwhelming and shocking for me because I only knew him as my grandpa, who played the steel. I knew he was unique, but honestly never thought to much about it.....until now. Near the end it was very difficult for him to communicate, but there was still a sparkle in his eyes when he saw his family and close friends. It's very difficult for me to believe he is gone, but I'm glad I still have many ways I can remember him. He was everything everyone ever said he was, and that makes this time even more tough for me. If anyone has any personal stories or recordings of interviews or anyhting you can share with me, I would love to have it. I have children myself that I would love to share this information with.
Thanks,
Laura Dooley
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I doubt that there is anything I can say about him that has not already been said. Icon, innovator, pioneer, source of inspiration to multitudes of musicians and would be steel guitar players. More than that, one of the best known steel guitarists by average county music fans at the height of his career.

Many times I've had people from the audience at shows and events make comments about Ralph Mooney. May he Rest in Peace.

Although I have seen and heard him at various events, I did not know Mr. Moon on a personal basis but I offer condolences to you and Ralph's family and to his close friends.
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

I never had the pleasure to meet or hear Ralph perform in person, obviously my loss. He was a very fine pedal steeler, composer, and seemed to always sport a big smile from the videos I have viewed.

The name "Mooney" has deep Irish roots and amazingly, here in Canada we had probably our nation's finest jazz pedal steeler who passed just a few years ago...JACK MOONEY. I am sure the two were not related, however each in his own way contributed their own musical signature on the pedal steel guitar ... Ralph in the country idiom, Jack in cool jazz.

My deepest sympathy (from Northern Canada) is extended to the family of Ralph Mooney. :(
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Condolences to Moon's family and friends. He was and will always be an influence and inspiration to myself and many others.
robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

Ralph Mooney continues to be honored in the press - nationwide - acknowledging his impact not only on Country Music but also on American culture as a whole. Here is Ralph Mooney’s obituary from Sunday, March 27th New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/arts/ ... ?ref=music
Frank Harris

Ralph Mooney

Post by Frank Harris »

May he rest in peace. He will be missed by many.
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

Being honored in the nationwide press is a great honor indeed. It is good, and says a lot, when a big paper chain like the NY Times picks up a story such as this. Very fitting. Great man. Great musician. Great story. RIP Moon.
Steeless.
Kent Thompson

Post by Kent Thompson »

I remember meeting Mooney @ the Intl. Steel Convention in St. Louis in 1997. I had a classic country show on a radio station in Omaha and he was gracious enough to do an interview with me that night. We talked about the Bakersfield years with Buck Owens,and Wynn Stewart,as well as the album he did with James Burton. He was truly a one of a kind..

The other thing I remember he was the last one to play that night. He had a Webb amp,and a couple of singers with him,one of which was Jonie Jones I believe. It was my first time at Scotty's Convention. A night I'll never forget..
Kent
Fred Jack

Post by Fred Jack »

Kent, I think that was probably Joni Jack.
Bruce Snow

Post by Bruce Snow »

Thankyou Mr Moony for sharing your talent with the world.I'm thankful that I did get to meet you, such a great person & steeler. May you rest in peace!
Bruce
Lorraine Worth

Post by Lorraine Worth »

I never had the pleasure of meeting "The Moon", but I loved his talent and I know I would have loved the man as well. Rest in Peace Mr. Moon.
My latest project "The Sandhills Sweetheart" features Curt Shoemaker "The Shoe" on steel. Order your copy today at www.lorraineworth.com
Everett Cole

Post by Everett Cole »

Thanks for all you left us to share in your memory - you were a real hero!
Ken Hoyle

Ralph Mooney

Post by Ken Hoyle »

What sad, sad news. May you rest in peace Mr. Moon. Your legacy and contributions will never be forgotten! God bless his family and friends at this time.
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Such sad news.

We shared about 15 minutes talking over a beer at the basement bar at the St. Louis convention a few years back. Such a sweet guy!

He will be greatly missed...

My deepest condolences to the Mooney family on their great loss.
My best,
Ernie
www.BuddyEmmons.com
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Moon and his unique style is greatly appreciated and will be missed but will always be around. Thank you Mr. Ralph Mooney.
Joe Yednasty

Post by Joe Yednasty »

This is such sad news. I'm 26 years old from Connecticut, and most people wonder how and why I got into the pedal steel guitar. My answer is simple: Ralph Mooney.

Ralph Mooney produced the best melodies in the history of music, and the best part was how he always made it look so damn easy (even if he wasn't prepared).

I don't really even know what to say. We lost a great, great pedal steel guitar legend but his music and his character will live through all of us FOREVER!

Amen. God bless everyone.

- Joe
"Eskimo" Joe

Emmons P/P S-10
1973 Fender Twin Reverb
Cass Broadview

Post by Cass Broadview »

Such a sad lost, prayers go out for the family. The "Moon" will always shine bright for us. George Redmon, Cass Broadview
Ernie Pollock

Miss you Ralph

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I don't get on the net much anymore, but I sure am sad to hear about Ralph, I loved his playing & he sure will be missed. Glad I got a couple of DVD that he is playing on.

Ernie Pollock :(
Ben Rubright

Post by Ben Rubright »

One morning at one of the conventions my wife and I were sitting having breakfast. Moon and some others were eating at a table 2 or 3 tables away. They finished before we did and on his way out, he stopped to say hello to us (2 absolute strangers) and ask us if we were enjoying the convention. I was so taken back that I was practically speechless. After he left there were so many things that I wish that I had said to him. I read somewhere that regardless of all the artists he played for, he considered himself Wynn Stewart's steel player. I still think that Wynn is the best country singer there has ever been and with Moon behind him .......well, as they say, 'It don't get no better than that'. Just listen sometime to Wynn's Capitol version of 'Sing a Sad Song'. I rest my case.