Height of pedals

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Matteo Strazzolini

Height of pedals

Post by Matteo Strazzolini »

Hi. A question from a newbie. I noticed on photos that many steelers has the A pedal higher than the other 2. Is this a correct setup also for a newbie? I have some problems on rockin-on the left feet, sometimes while B is pressed I tend to push a little also the A pedal .. Also, what should be the correct height of the pedals (when pushed) from the floor? I also notice that my B pedal has a bigger travel than the others. Now, when pushed, it's about 1 cm from the floor.

Sorry for my poor English!

Ciao
Matteo
Carter D10 8+5, Carter SD10 4+5, Hilton ME202, Goodrich L120, Peterson StroboPlus HD, Digitech DigiDelay, Peavey Nashville 112 Ken Fox Modded, Peavey Special 130 Ken Fox Modded, Zookies and Dunlop Picks, Ernie Ball Bar, George L'S Cables, Jagwire Strings... and my crappy hands, foot and knees :-(
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

How high off the floor is the A pedal when it is pressed?
If you can lower it any, then it might solve your problem of hitting it when you press the B pedal.
Tom Wolverton

a similar question....C6th pedals

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Beyond the A and B pedals, I've also noticed that on D-10 PSG guitars, the 4 and 8th pedals often seem to be higher than the other C6th pedals.

Is this for ergonmic reasons, or is it just so you can find P4 and/or P8 quickly by feel?
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Georg Sørtun wrote:There's usually more than one point on the pedal-arm to hook up the vertical rod, so a little experimentation with what travel-distance each pedal has in relation to others should be possible. On some steels there's also more than one hook-up point behind the front apron, that also can be used to find the right pedal-travel.
Among my steels, on the more recent ones (1994 Mullen, 2000's Williams and GFI), there is only one place on the pedal to connect the vertical rod, and only one place behind the apron to connect the other end. My Sho-Buds have 2 connection points at each end of the vertical rod. It seems unfortunate that this practice has apparently not been seen by otherwise quality builders as worth continuing. You'd think it would be the older guitars that didn't have it, and the newer ones that did. :\
Gary Watson

Pedal Adjustment

Post by Gary Watson »

My biggest problem with pedal height is on the A pedal. Sometimes, when I engage the D lever to lower the E's, my foot will not rock off the A pedal enough and so I adjust the A pedal accordingly. It amazes me just how much one turn of the thread, will affect the "feel" of the Pedal!
Show Pro,SD-10,3x5 1996 Emmons Legrande II 3x5, 1976 Emmons P/P 3x4 BJS Bar Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey 112, '76 Fender Twin, and Steeler's Choice Sidekick.
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

I think it's important for the A & B pedals, also B & C pedals to feel fairly even under your foot when you press them down together. If they aren't, you will be constantly adjusting your leg or ankle to get both pedals down. Or worse, you won't push a pedal all the way down.

Also make sure the rods are timed out together and have a liitle play in them. That could be why your B pedal has so much travel. Hope you figure it out, keep tinkering.
Gary Richardi

Post by Gary Richardi »

If I've learned anything about psg setup in my short time with the instrument, it's that there is no one "correct" setup. Everybody's different, that's why builders include adjustments. I tend to like the A pedal just a slight bit higher then B pedal and C at the same height as B. YMMV.
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

Bill Rudolph from Williams Guitars just changed the pedal rod attachment on the 700 series guitars to an adjustable mechanism.

Image[/img]
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Mike, is that the only way to adjust the rod length or can you still do it from the pedal end of the rod?
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

It has the regular socket end threaded onto the pedal rod at the pedal end for length adjustment... the mechanism pictured allows you to change the pull point... closer or farther from the cross shaft thus allowing you to adjust the stiffness/length of the pull.... but it could function as a "pedals up" pedal rod length adjustment as well.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

on closer inspection I can see what your sayin now. very ingenious. :)
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Don't forget to check it on some thick shag carpet or you will get a surprise.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Michael Dulin

pedal height

Post by Michael Dulin »

You need to first adjust the pedals so they are a comfortable height for the shoes you wear. Then the A&C pedal needs to be higher than B as they have farther to travel to stop. After this they need to bottom out nearly level as stated before. Final adjustment should allow you to rock on A without touching B, B without touching A, C without touching B. Then you won't be detuning your changes while rocking in and out for phrasing. MD
Benjamin Jayne

Post by Benjamin Jayne »

I've noticed my C pedal is quite a bit "tighter" AND has longer travel distane than the A or B pedals. I currently have it set up so it is parrellel w the B pedal when depressed, since they are typically used together. However, I find it takes a lot more force to press the C pedal than the others. Is this normal? If not, where should I look to adjust?
Lamar S-10, Goodrich L10K VP, Carvin Vintage 16 all-tube amp, John Pearse Cryogenic steel tone bar, John Pearse strings.