Peavey 115E with Black Widow (two)

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Mark Cohen

Peavey 115E with Black Widow (two)

Post by Mark Cohen »

I have two of these very fine 115E speakers for sale in perfect condition. They look great and sound great. These also have a three" piezo horn tweeter and crossover. Picture to follow. $175 each + actual shipping costs.

Lots of sound in a small lightweight cabinet.
Last edited by Mark Cohen on 23 Mar 2011 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Cohen
Murnel Babineaux

Post by Murnel Babineaux »

Where is the tweeter mounted?
Rittenberry D10 E9/C6 Session 400
Mark Cohen

Updated photos and answer

Post by Mark Cohen »

Hi Murnel.

I just took some pictures of these speakers. As you can see, the piezo tweeter is mounted in the upper left corner under the grille. I found that I liked the little bit of edge it adds to the sound. which otherwise seemed a little muddy with the 15" speaker.

Mark Cohen
Mark Cohen

Speaker model

Post by Mark Cohen »

I just posted a reply to a PM: The drivers are Black Widow 1501-4 (4 ohm). To calculate shipping, you can use my zip code of 91302. The speakers weight about 40 lbs (guessing here).

Best of luck. They are gorgeous to look at and listen to.
Mark Cohen
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Mark,
I don't mean to hi-jack your posting but I have a question.
I play through a pair of 115E enclosurs like you have for sale and I would like to add tweeters to them.
I have the same opinion as you, they can get a little "muddy" sounding.
Did you add the tweeters to them yourself and also is there a crossover needed when doing so?
Mark Cohen

Tweeter

Post by Mark Cohen »

Hi Erv:

I am posting the reply here, in case others are looking. I mounted the drivers myself which was extremely easy, as the grille comes right off of the 115E's. It was a matter of a jig saw and an hour or so all together. The sound improvement is very large. On the steel, I like to hear a little string noise when picking - it gives it a slightly acoustic feel. When I use these for guitar, I back off on the brightness a bit. For PA use with recorded full range audio, the 115E's sound amazing with these in place.

I will post later on the exact speakers I used (I need to get home to get the part numbers and will try to take a close up photo), but such drivers are very inexpensive. It may sound heretical, but the actual choice of tweeter makes little difference. The reason is that harmonic distortion comes in at double the base frequency. The first harmonic if you set the high pass at 4 kHz, is already at 10 kHz. The second harmonic is at 16 kHz, where most people cannot even hear. They have a self limiting low frequency cutoff of about 3kHz, so you don't need a fancy crossover network.

For example, parts express sells a pair of good quality speakers for less than $10:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=272-100. Those ones are very high efficiency (i.e., loud) so you will probably want to adjust your tone controls to compensate a bit.

Since musical instruments don't put out a great deal of power in these high frequency ranges, power handling is not really much of an issue. You can find many of these on line for only a few dollars.
Mark Cohen
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Mark,
Thanks a lot.
I have been looking at tweeters and some are priced as low as $2 and such.
I would appreciate all the information and pictures you can share with me.
Erv
Mark Cohen

One left

Post by Mark Cohen »

I have sold one of these (donation sent), but one is still left.
Mark Cohen