Ralph Mooney..1928-2011

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Dana Stewart

Post by Dana Stewart »

Very sad to see this news. Our prayers will be with his family.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Duane Brown

Post by Duane Brown »

So sad to read this. I knew it was coming, but it's still a shock. We'll keep the Mooney family in our prayers. We've lost another legend today. Duane
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

He was the reason I took up the steel guitar. I disliked country music until I heard him play. Then I bought every album I could find that had a steel guitar on it, then I bought a steel guitar.

Wynn Stewart told him to come up with something that would make them sound different, so he came up with the "bouncing" style that became the "Bakersfield sound" and when I asked him about it, he said, "I was just doing my job".

Rest in peace.
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

This is really a sad day, like we had so many others in the recent past. One of the icons of the steel guitar is gone. Thanks to you, Moon, for all the great music you gave us.

My thoughts and prayesr are with the family.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Howard Hughes
Location: Roanoke/South Norfolk, Virginia - Now Living In Junction City, Kansas USA

Post by Howard Hughes »

My deepest sincere condolences to family and friends. MR.Ralph was truly one of a kind and Will Be Missed!. Thand You For All The Great Music You Gave Us!, God Bless You MR. Moon!, Your Humble Fans From The State Of Kansas....
Italia Maranello Gold Sparkle Guitar/6-string Lap Steel Guitar (LDG-Green)-Custom Made By Andy Hinton, (August 10, 1933 - July 3, 2011). "RIP My Friend!!", "I Think Of You Everyday & Really Miss Our Talks!!"/Coated Finger Picks By Andy Hinton/"KEEP ON PICKIN"/Blessings!/ "May You Always Have Love & Wealth To Share, Health To Spare and Friends Who Care!"/Your Fan & Friend - From The Land Of OZ - ♫Howie- "The Wizard"♫ ☺ ♥
Robby Turner

Post by Robby Turner »

Today, the music industry lost a True Pioneer. He was not just a Steel Guitar Pioneer, he was the signature sound of so many legends. When Fender decided to build pedal steels, Leo borrowed the guitar that Mr. Moon built (using bike pedals & bailing wire) to get ideas from. Besides being an innovator of the steel guitar, Mr. Moon took the time to tell historical road/stage stories to a 11 year old kid @the Mid South Coliseum, Memphis in 1973. What was so special about the stories (besides the history) was the fact that he never got on the stage w/Waymore even while Waylon kept calling his name during his solos. You will be missed the rest of the time. Tell Hoss I said "Hey" & you know how I love the both of you.
Robby "Kid" Turner.
P.S. I told you they'd have Webb amps in Heaven!
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

i'm very saddened to read that Moon has left us
yet another steel pionneer is gone
He's w: the Lord & will probably accompany him in that great band in Heaven
my sincere condolences to his family
RIP Moon & Thanx for all the great Music & pickin'
Daniel Morris

Post by Daniel Morris »

...and how many of us steelers do not owe Moon a debt of gratitude? I still recall trying to copy his work on RAINY DAY WOMAN in my first full-blown bar band.
God grant Ralph Memory Eternal, and peace and comfort to his family and friends.
1979 MSA U12 Pedal Steel
1982 Kline U12 Pedal steel
2019 Sierra U12 Pedal Steel
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

A very sad day. At least Moon is not in pain anymore and is at rest
It was my pleasure to be in Moons room in Dallas a few years ago while the band rehearsed...to hear some of Moons stories was great !!
I know I can send my condolences,those of Warren Neilsen an Kenny Kitching too...probably most of the steel players in Australia.
Tony
Robbie Bossert

Post by Robbie Bossert »

R.I.P. You will be greatly missed.

Robbie Bossert
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

We are never really ready to let them go, even knowing that we must. My condolences....
Hook
Ron Ross

Post by Ron Ross »

I would like to offer my heartfelt condolences to the Mooney family..Let there be peace and comfort in the knowledge that Mr.Moon is wrapped in the arms of the lord..Mr.Moon was a pioneer and hero to many..Rest In Peace old friend
"Kick'er off there Wichita"
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

Who's gonna fill his shoes, indeed...
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

What a player..and person! Mr Moon, we will ALWAYS miss you.
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Marty Kerluk

Post by Marty Kerluk »

I'm so sad to hear this news. I'll think of Moon each and every time I play my steel as long as my hands will let me play it.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Dreading to read this one, but I have prayed for his ease from suffering. The way God intended for a steel to be played. Now, he is teaching the Master class! Moon bypassed all the technical stuff and went stright to the heart. The music will never be the same.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

This has been a sad week indeed,One of my biggest unreplaceable heros.R.I.P. my friend.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Mark Durante wrote:Who's gonna fill his shoes, indeed...
Mark, sadly, No One.

Mr. Mooney was one of a kind and in the old days you could hear in the steel guitar world, "Do you know that Mooney lick on this song?"

He always played in a simple manner but with his heart tied on every note.

Irreplaceable and missed tremendously. RIP my friend.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

Yet another loss which diminishes us all, and leaves a gaping wound for so many of us who were touched, if not haunted, by that unique sound.

Whilst we keep Mr Moon and his family in our thoughts and hearts, please also keep Fred Jack in mind, for he was a close friend who did us the kindness of keeping us us up-to-date with Moon's state of health. Fred will be feeling this loss more keenly than most of us.

RIP Ralph Mooney. There never was another player like you, and there never will be.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Ralph Mooney being one of my first heroes to emerge back when I first started, I paid special attention to him and his unique style.
Like many others Ralph has gave us all so much to remember and be thankful for.
God rest your soul Ralph, and Lord please comfort the Mooney family at this time of mourning.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Buddie Hrabal

A Music Icon

Post by Buddie Hrabal »

Truly an music idol. God only knows how many players were influenced by his playing. The music industry has suffered a great loss. Thanks Ralph for all you gave!
Ron Epperson

Post by Ron Epperson »

rip old friend i met the moon a few times when i was with eddy drake now all three are gone but never forgotten the moon and waylon together again till we meet again prayers for your family
Egil Skjelnes

Post by Egil Skjelnes »

Ralph was here in Norway with Waylon in the 80`s sometimes,and used my amp for the consert, I talked with him after the show,and we also met in St.Louis a few times. One of the great pioneers.Love his album "Corn Pickin`and Slick Slidin",a must if you like Ralphs style. Also loved the things he did with Waylon.He will be missed.
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:cry: God, take care of Moon ,he in your house now .....bless you Ralph.....Stormy