Are The Good Woods And Hot Steel Licks Vanishing?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Charles,

Everyone is or should be concerned with the preservation of our forestry. As the hands of time never stop moving, so do the demands for secluded properties in forested areas. Each building sight requires clearing away trees that are replaced by shrubbery. Combine gypsy moths, blights, and transported tree problems from abroad, and everyone should cast a wary eye for the future preservation of our forestation.
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Still have'nt answered that simple question have you,never intend to , do you :?: :) YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Nowadays, I've become more familiar with some of the "tricks" of the trade that you Nashville musicians use to enhance your lead playing. Echos, black boxes costing upwards of $300.00 etc., plus multiple recordings. In the end Chet felt that others had better "whammy bars", and a few other advantages that were alluded to in public discussions.
Bill, for all your carping about guitar effects as a substitute for talent, bear in mind that Chet recorded "Blue Echo" in 1951, using an Echoplex as the basis for the song. Also, "Boo Boo Stick Beat," while not quite as old, (1961,) may have been the advent of the Wah Wah effect, long before there was a pedal that did it.
Darrell Owens

Snowbird Super Lick

Post by Darrell Owens »

The last hot lick that I heard by turning on a radio station was the first time I heard "Chet" play "Snowbird".
A young guitar player noticed the "Chet Atkins" autograph on one of my guitars and asked, "Who is Chet Atkins?" It was my pleasure to educate him. There are well equipped guitar players still trying to figure out the "Super Lick" on Chet's recording of "Snowbird".

For a definition of the "Super Lick" go to :33 and :40 and then to 1:27 on this link, and you will understand why we guitar pickers call it the super-lick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9rNnUbs ... re=related
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Darrell O.,

Thanks for your input centered on CHET ATKINS. Time has separated the music world from this great man of kindness, and one of the coolest personalities of the famed instrumentalists. Part of Chet's great successes may have originated amongst fellow musicians, through the friendly receptiveness of his smile. Roy Clark is a perfect example of expertise, combined with a winning outward friendliness. His style of playing is dissimilar to that of Atkins' dexterity. Only a slightly jaded, exceptionally misinformed individual, would attempt to mix things up with Roy, in the lead guitar department. I will say in terms of recognition of achievements, neither of the two have spent a lot of time with the pedal steel guitar, as far as I know, from available information sources. It would be interesting to know if any discussions by Chet and Roy, over the years, were based on the the pedal steel guitar, and its abundance of "HOT LICKS". :)
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Plenty of hot lick players out there. My favorite steel hot lick player is Frank Arnett,Hard to beat him. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Bill,

Chet seemed to favor Weldon Myrick. He was on Chet's Superpickers album from the mid 1970's.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Bill D.,

Yes, I had the same album in my collection a few years ago. Many of the albums in a large collection that I packed into a storage room received very little play for one reason or another. I remember that particular album, for the most part, its interesting cover, (envelope). Famous Nashville pickers sprawled all over a small motor vehicle, would catch any picker's attention at record outlets. I've a collection of Chet's albums, that feature his music exclusively; (No tricks). Thanks for commenting on the album. Most likely, it isn't widely known to many here on this forum. Originally complaining, I called attention to where music in the HOT LICKS divisions of players are in a slump. Sure, Paul Franklin recorded a few hot licks a while back, that set players scurrying to their steel guitars, then the blessed John Hughey, who was a master of perfected "LICKS" struck again with the memorable "LOOK AT US". Now it seems to me, that one must push past the "cliques" of the industry, to reach concerted groups doing their concerted things, out and away from the general public audiences. Scales seem to be tipped in favor of concert series, and the beauty of newcomers whose talents linger in the looks department. The average American is interested in a new home, 2 automobiles, having their children become college educated, and enjoying a healthy mind, and body. If you favor country music and listen in on the same group's selected musical radio stations, you will learn rather suddenly, where radio stations are taking the general public.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Bill,

I remember as a kid growing up in a Pentecostal Church, they always had great music, good singers and musicians. They also encouraged us kids to play and went to great lengths to help us learn our instruments. At times, during revival services especially, we would play and if the congregation got the spirit and started shouting we would really get down picking. Sometimes us teenagers would stray from the prescribed music and play some hot licks we had learned. The preacher would not hesitate to bring us back to the proper music at hand.

They really did take an interest in us kids and our music. No matter what instrument, they always encouraged us to "play for the Lord".

I hope this doesn't stray from the topic. It is about hot licks, heard, learned and used!
basilh

Post by basilh »

Bill Duncan wrote: I hope this doesn't stray from the topic. It is about hot licks, heard, learned and used!
Not completely Bill, the topic's title is "Are The Good Woods And Hot Steel Licks Vanishing?"
In fact "Hot Licks" is the addendum inferred and suggested by the POSSIBLE decline of the "Good Woods"

Mike Perlowin wrote: Cosmetics aside, is there any reason a steel guitar could not be made out of aluminum?

No Mike, there is no reason.... in fact it has been done very well, albeit not promoted enough.
This is a "Vice Versa" Guitar, Aluminium BODY and Wooden Necks !! (Wooden, as opposed to the Brass, and the Red ones seen around here far too frequently) :twisted: :twisted:

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

basilh,

Fascinating photo of your combination music and repair room. Your little teddy is very amusing, but most of all, that sturdy oak, mahogany, or cherry, dining room table ,off to the right in the picture. Those magnificent legs of the table can't be missed. It's anybody's guess from whence the old wood originated. I have my doubts knowing that information sources would be scanty, and would vary by a natural shuffling of facts construing factual information. I suspect that the makers of the fine antique, (it looks old) had made several of like tables, although each would possess well defined differences in special woods used in their construction. Commenting on the pedal steel, and your robust appearance would be a natural response by any viewer, who maintains a constant awareness of general appearances. I haven't read about the steel in the photo to date. Is it a Frank pedal steel? Thanks for the great photo!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

My God, Bill, you've got to come down off the mountain a little more often. This guitar was made by Fender in the early 70's.
http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/fender70p35.php

Basil, that picture deserves the "Most Unpretentious Photograph of the Year" award. :lol:
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

I should have remembered. It looked familiar, except the "logo" from a distance could easily be a case of mistaken identity. Sho-Bud, and Emmons commandeered the market places during the 70's and 80's. At one point, I was wrapped up in Fender guitars. Too much of this, and too little of that caused me to become more interested in the two companies previously mentioned. Please excuse my diminishing eyesight.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

basilh,

You spoiled me with your display of a room that clearly shows that some things have left their marks of ambitious pursuits. The photo is remarkable for a number of reasons. I truly wish that I could delve into past experiences in the room where the like new "FENDER" steel is setup. A close-up photo of the "curly maple" used in your aluminum framed pedal steel guitar would be interesting.. as well as a close-up photo of the undercarriage. Many claims of specific changes were underscored in that particular model. I would like to point out that cast aluminum is not as plentiful as wood.. not by a long shot. It's a beautiful instrument to behold.
basilh

Post by basilh »

OK Bill, you did ask, although there are posts by myself elsewhere regarding this guitar, these are newer pictures :-

N.B. any one pedal can take any number of strings any distance up or down within the working range of the string..

~Video description and analysis.

Fender PS-210 mechanical description Pt1.

Fender PS-210 mechanical description Pt2.

The Changer

Guitar Adjustment Pt.1

Guitar Adjustment Pt.2

Guitar Adjustment Pt.3

Guitar Adjustment Pt.4
b0b

Post by b0b »

Mike Perlowin wrote:Cosmetics aside, is there any reason a steel guitar could not be made out of aluminum?
Sierra pedal steels have aluminum bodies, covered with formica to look like wood. Some of them have an actual wood veneer, but the body underneath is aluminum. I gigged with Sierra guitars for many years. The only real problem was that they responded more quickly to changes in temperature than your typical wooden guitar. Not a huge problem in most environments, but if you happen to set up under the the air conditioning vent, ouch!
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Basil,

Thanks so much for posting pics of your Fender 210. I first saw one at Romero's Music in New Iberia, LA. I could be wrong, but I was told that Harold Romero had some input into the design of this guitar, which is how one ended up in his shop. I remember being totally fascinated by the mechanism, to this day I have never seen anything like it. I do remember it being HEAVY. :eek:

Does anyone know how many of these were made?? Less than 20 of them ??? Yours appears to be in mint condition!! Thanks again !!!

Joe Rogers
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Joe Rogers,

I will be thanking basilh in due time for his generous offerings, and photo displays of the Fender 210. Your assumption of its maker is incorrect, I do believe at this point in time. GENE FIELDS designed most of the working parts, and built the FENDER 210. As far as others sharing credits in its design, I'd need written proof from reliable sources, that the information was unquestionable.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

basilh,

You've gone the extra mile by presenting the photos as requested. These generous and exceptional photos that even introduced an archaic dining room table are very interesting. I've spent considerable time reviewing the pictures. The curly maple grain is visible, and can be seen in the underside picture. Gene Fields IS a mechanical genius. :)
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

After thinking about this, another way of approach would be; what constitutes "hot licks and good woods"?

One of the hottest licks for my vote would be the way Buddy Emmons can hit a note or chord and run it out for many frets without picking again. He has been able to make notes sustain for what would seem to be impossible lengths. I'd be willing to bet he can still do it!

As for good woods disappearing, I saw in an article on the supposed shortage of good woods and what constitutes good tone woods a few years back and the guy built a very nice looking and good sounding guitar from old used wood pallets.

Hot licks and good woods are probably like so many other things. Depends on who you are and how you look at it.

In that case then neither are in danger of disappearing.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Bill D.,

Opportunities have a subtle way of presenting themselves through the fast moving changes made by the ever-present scufflings among wage earners. Countless sawmill crews have worked their way through the virgin timber lots of New England, for nigh on 100 years. Hundreds of sawmills were setup in the most convenient locations, loggers worked for a few dollars, for a days pay, back in the 20th century. Lumber was dirt cheap in earlier times, and profits depended solely on massive deliveries to customers. You couldn't purchase a million feet of prized standing hardwoods today, as a buyer could 60 years ago, unless, you know an outstanding person who happens to be an influential citizen, who would recommend your logging operation. It's the same criterion in just about every money related activity.
The one exception that I had made reference to, was to be ready to answer quickly, when opportunity comes to visit. Today's mill workers are very aware of the scarcities of fine woods. They are becoming as scarce as hot country licks that a true country person never gets tired of hearing.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 28 Feb 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

Yes
I need an Emmons!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Tom Quinn,

Thanks for reviving a partially desiccated thread. Everyone is prone to welcoming something original, or thought provoking, particularly in matters closely related to family income. With the prices of foodstuff and fuel for transportation, soaring beyond reason, all other matters are dwarfing to the rafters. My efforts to reconcile differences in this threads straightforward claims of diminishing hot licks, plus choice hardwoods with fashionable to desirable woodworking features, have not registered in the minds of a mounting readership. A terse response might be expected, in the face of discourses alluding to serious doubts of a thread's validity.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I think Tom was simply answering the topic's title. One word is all that's required to express one's opinion.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

b0b,

Affirmative responses are indeed gratifying to those who may be proposing to others that there are sufficient reasons for suggesting that a long distance view be taken in the preservation of our commodities, and sources of entertainment. The records show that we are drifting to the left musically. :\