When NOT to play

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Robert Jette

When NOT to play

Post by Robert Jette »

After reviewing this weekend's band rehearsal recording, I am hearing some improvement in my steel guitar playing. I finally came to the realization that I'm not a rhythm guitarist when I'm on the steel. I don't have to play every single chord/note of the song. It actually sounds better when I sweeten up a chord here and there, and provide a tasty fill on occasion. My 2 cents for fellow newbies.... record yourself frequently (even if you're not playing with a band), and less is more, at least until you find your voice on the instrument. Oh yeah, 1 more tip. Join this forum. It's the best 5 dollars you'll ever spend!
Michael Robertson

Three Rules

Post by Michael Robertson »

Robert my mentor (not the one in the avatar) told me years ago.
Three Rules for Pedal Steel:
1. You need to know when to "Lay low".
2. You need to know when to "Lay back".
3. And know when to "Lay the heck out".
No Avatar only a picture of my Mentor.
Eldon Cangas

Post by Eldon Cangas »

This makes so much sense for any instrument. If you think you should be front and center all the time then guess what - you're making the music sound boring.
David Ellison

Post by David Ellison »

In traditional country music, you would take turns playing behind the singer. In other words, if the only two lead instruments in the band are steel and guitar, the steel might kick the song off, then lay out while the guitar player fills in behind the first verse. On the second verse or chorus, the guitar lays out and the steel fills in behind the singer... etc.

I've found this approach works no matter what kind of music you play. When you come in, come in loud and clear. Play fills that complement what the singer is doing. Then just sit there and drink your beer for the next verse until it's time to play again. Drinking in the middle of the song looks cool too. :)
Wayne D. Clark

Post by Wayne D. Clark »

Well I don't know about the drinken, I'v played with fellows that by the end of th second set he could not remember the words. However all the other advice is right on. If you want to lead all the time do a solo set. It is that introduction or fill you put in that makes you valuable, and the croud loves it.

Wayne D. Clark
usnyn2nd@frontier.com
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

In a Hawaiian themed staged show, the steel guitar is primarily the up front instrument.

Always, always remember that in a country band, the steel guitar is a back up instrument.

In a bluegrass band, the steel guitar is an unwelcome guest that backs up the banjo.

In a jazz band, the steel guitar makes the band members cringe.

In a rock and roll band, the more you can distort the sound of that steel guitar , the better it sounds.

In an old time wind instrument dance band, the steel guitar fits like a glove.

We play a strange instrument guys.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

In the old days, the steel player in a country band did more than back-up, like what's done today. Ernest Tubb is a good example of a singer who gave the lead instrument a run or two. Of course there were singers who felt threatened if a steel player was good, and got as much attention as the singer. I was always amused by that. :)
Robert Jette

Post by Robert Jette »

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. I'm actually the rhythm/acoustic guitarist in the band, so I'm used to playing most of the time. One of my favorite learning resources has been the Don Helms "Hank Williams Songbook". Bill hit the nail on the head. Mr. Helms plays the whole song...chords, fills, single note runs, and I love it all! Maybe 20 years from now,I'll be able to play like that. For now I'm going to try to stick to intros, fills, solos, and drinking my beer until my next lick (thanks David!)
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

"and drinking my beer until my next lick... "

Sounds right to me !
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

Jerry Byrd was a master at complementing vocals and coming in with the steel tastefully, and not on the first beat of a bar. He once said to me, "Remember, silence is a note"...

His accompaniment to Nina Kealihiwahamana was masterful. Alan Akaka is another "great" in the art of steel accompaniment to vocals.There are others.

Kay
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

Yep - "less is more". 1st pedal steel gig at a pub, you know the deal, tv's on every wall, pool tables,drunks, us crambed in the corner belting out Adam Brand, Goerge Strait etc. The guitarist played a tele'B' bender ( why? - when they had me on steel??) :\
I fell into the 'play it all trap'
Not been invited back - LESSON LEARNT

Jeff
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

It's not just the " "play it all" thing that makes it less enjoyable. Occasionally there's too many in the background playing rhythm, like a cat-fight of guitar strums etc. Seems to me that a good guitar player, a good bass player, and two lead capable players. are what makes a good clean sounding band. And of course a good uke player if it's Hawaiian themed music.
George Rout

Post by George Rout »

To put it briefly, my steel guitar teacher in Montreal once told me "remember George, steel guitar players are paid NOT to play" to get the point across to me!!!

Geo
http://georgerout.com

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Jerry Byrd was a master at complementing vocals and coming in with the steel tastefully, and not on the first beat of a bar. He once said to me, "Remember, silence is a note"...
I was at the Convention, in the early '90s. It had been a weekend of one "machine gun" after another. On Sunday, Jerry Byrd walked out on stage, bent over his guitar and looked at the audience, who were dead silent, and said, "I've spent a lifetime trying to play as few notes as possible."
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

There are some steel players that I admire who play busily (Ralph Mooney, Buddy Cage), as it fits in the context of some types music. On many of the older Country records there always seems to be someone picking, whether it's the guitarist, steel guitarist, or what have you (Ernest Tubb, for one). I like to play that way and I also enjoy playing sensitively and sparingly--it depends on how I perceive the music.
Mark Roeder

Post by Mark Roeder »

That's how I play as well Mike. Since my wife sings those classic country songs I hear what they put in behind the vocalist. Even though they are playing a lot it is still all about the vocalist. Case in point; the original Walkin' After Midnight with Don Helms all over it. Still I do agree with the old adidge(spelling?) " less is more"
www.deluxe34.com lap steel stands, Clinesmith, Gibson Console Grande, Northwesterns, The Best Westerns
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestWesterns
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

I use the same standard for my steel playing as I do with my speech, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."
Amor vincit omnia
David Eastwood

Post by David Eastwood »

I use the same standard for my steel playing as I do with my speech, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."
Amen to that. I've played lap steel at my church twice. The first time went great - the second time was a disaster.

It didn't take me too long to figure out why. The first time, I used it on a song that I previously played on regular guitar with a slide. I know the song inside out - could play it in my sleep - and the guitar was the primary instrument.

The second time, I didn't know the music as well, and naively thought I could just play from the chart - like I always do for the less familiar songs. I was dumb enough not to realize that I can't read a chart and play lap steel at the same time.

Turned out I had nothing good to say, at all :(
Orville Johnson

Post by Orville Johnson »

I think of playing in a group kind of like having a conversation. The worst thing you can do is talk over everybody else. There are times when people all talk at once or have simultaneous conversations within the group, but when it gets serious, one person talks and the others listen.Listening is just as important as talking in a good conversation.