SOLD / Webb Amp 6-14E

Amplifiers, effects, recording equipment, seats, racks, parts, or anything else.
Quincy Damphousse

SOLD / Webb Amp 6-14E

Post by Quincy Damphousse »

Webb Amp purchased Late 70,s from Tom Brashaw. I have modified this amp in size, had Ken Fox from vintage amps, install the retro Webb kit Dec/2010.Saga speaker 12" total =30/32lbs. After the amp was returned from Ken Fox, I recovered with (Western tolex.and new hardware ) Asking $1200.00
Last edited by Quincy Damphousse on 27 Feb 2011 10:47 am, edited 8 times in total.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

That's the most unique Webb 6-14E I've ever seen! I bet it's one of the earliest ones made, if not a prototype. I've never seen one with the 5 EQ knobs atop the other main knobs. Or the remote reverb jack on the front panel. Bradshaw would know, chime in, Tom.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

I'm with Mr. McClung, I've never seen a Webb like this.
Is this an early Bradshaw Webb?
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
Tom Bradshaw

Special Webb amp

Post by Tom Bradshaw »

The amp appears to be one made between 1975 and 1984. Beyond that, the owner should be able to explain what he did with the amp. I'll provide my opinion until someone more knowledgeable of this particular amp speaks up. In my opinion, the amp began as a regular Steel Guitar Amp in that vintage range (Jim Webb stopped building his amps between 1984 until about 1994). I can tell this is of the earlier models because of the 4 screws that hold the faceplate to the cabinet).

First of all, I think the face plate was cut, so as to remove the EQ section. That section was then mounted over the Pre-Amp PC board on the faceplate, by drilling holes in the faceplate above the usual controls for the Pre-Amp controls (volume, tone controls and reverb). This meant crowding all the EQ board components above the Pre-Amp PC board and pots. Being quite crowded, it makes me wonder if there is any electronic interference between all of those electronic components, as well as some increased heat...maybe not). The owner would then have to just set the EQ controls as he saw fit. Notice in the pictures that the knobs now used to adjust the EQ controls are much smaller than are the regular knobs on the for the Pre-Amp. Note also that the Remote Reverb jack is on the front of the amp. I don't recall that Jim Webb ever had the Remote Reverb jack there. It was always on the back of the amp or on the underside of the back of the amp's chassis. Thua, rhe owner innovated a bit by placing it on the front panel; I like it.

Notice also that the Reverb Control Knob is a 1-5/1-5 knob, not a 1-10 knob. I suspect that one of the 1-10 knobs got broken, so the owner simply used one of the 1-5 knobs he had left over after the removal of the EQ bank. I also suspect that the faceplate was re-painted by the amp's "renovator" (and from the pictures, it looks like he did a good job).

In using the newly placed EQ bank, and realizing he couldn't use the larger 1-5/1-5 knobs, the user/owner would now have to teach himself where to set each of the 5 EQ knobs in order to obtain a particular tonal expression he wanted (this wouldn't be a big deal, and it could be quickly learned).

What the owner now has ia a more condensed version of the Steel Guitar Amp. I can't see the speaker in the amp, but I'd suspect it is a 12"er.

All of the above is just my speculation. However, someone surely knows the answers to everyone questions. Perhaps they feel the amp's value would be reduced if the full truth were known. I don't think so. If they did as good of a job as the pictures indicate, the amp becomes so unique as to increase its value. I'd like to hear how it sounds.

My hat is off to the innovator if the good sound of this Webb is not diminished by his effort. ...Tom

Jim Webb made some smaller amps, being about 2" smaller all the way around. He called one the Galaxy and another the GP. However, they could come equiped with either a 12" or 15" speaker. I suspect that you couldn't get a 15" speaker in the cabinet on this amp.