Are The Good Woods And Hot Steel Licks Vanishing?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Talking about breaking rules :?: :?: :?: JEEPERS,CREEPERS. :eek: Don't matter if you read latin or not you can see and hear PLENTY of hot licks on the Marty Stuart show.they are NOT vanishing. YOU BETCHA.DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Charlie,

MARTY STUART has roots in KENTUCKY BLUEGRASS. Bluegrass is hot, hot, hot at this time. Mrs Stuart, better known as CONNIE SMITH is molded from pure COUNTRY MUSIC. Are things beginning to click, like one small gear meshing with a much larger gear to create an unbeatable combination of talents? I love mandolin music. It's beautiful when played properly to compliment a singer's voice. There is a problem though.. when hunting big game, (corporate management), you'll need something larger than a mandolin to bring along, in effect, to clobber the critics. I suggest a pedal steel guitar.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 18 Feb 2011 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles Davidson

Seems you think he is JUST a mandolin player. And are [HOT LICKS] only played on steel :?: YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Charles,

We've had several exchanges in the past.. for the most part, just innocent joking around. Now you would suggest that I direct my attention to Marty's Show. When I interviewed Connie in 1985, my publisher said to Connie, "He knows more about you than you know about yourself". It was a big exaggeration, although I had prepared the interview to the best of my ability. Terry Crisp was playing for Connie in the mid-eighties. I made the unavoidable comment about, "I'll Come Runnin'". When I said that it's hard to find a player who can play the song like Weldon Myrick, she replied, "I've got one now".
Charles Davidson

What does a 26 year old interview with Connie Smith have to do with wood for building guitars and hot licks :?: :? :roll: YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Franklin wrote:
Bill Hankey wrote:Whoever first named catchy steel guitar patterns, "LICKS"?
......I've seen enough documentaries on early jazz where "Riff" and "Lick" were used to describe phrasings by Charlie Christian and Louis Armstrong.....

Paul
That's an interesting question. "Riff" is generally thought of to have derived from "refrain" & the term was widely used in the 1930s and maybe earlier -- I'm pretty sure I've seen it in Metronome articles from those days. Beboppers used it in song titles by the 1940s("Thriving on a riff"). It's associated with big band swing and jazz.

"Lick", on the other hand (and I stand to be corrected) was not widely used, at least in print, until somewhat later & was (maybe) more frequently associated with blues, rock & country music. It is applied to many instruments other than steel guitar. It for sure was a common expression in print by the 1960s by which time you get band names like Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks, & it was undoubtedly in oral tradition (if you'll pardon the pun) well before then. As Paul Franklin says, it's been used to describe earlier music, but it does not appear in the indexes of a number of books where you might expect it -- Gillespie's "To be or not to bop", Reisner's "Bird", Russell's "Bird lives", Hentoff's reader, "Hear Me talkin' to ya" for example. Nor does it have an obvious derivation from some other musical term although one possibility would be that it comes from clarinets aka "licorice sticks", which around the turn of the twentieth century were responsible many well known licks (Parker used to quote the clarinet part from "High Society" frequently). I'm just wildly guessing, though. By now one would hope there's decent articles on both terms in one of the New Grove music dictionaries so maybe someone with access to a music library or the electronic versions of those sources could help out.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

[quote="Charles Davidson"]What does a 26 year old interview with Connie Smith have to do with wood for building guitars and hot licks :?: :? :roll: YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.[/quot

Just guessing....The mention of wood towards female singers, you know it kind of connects....Or perhaps Bill is describing arousal towards hot licks with the thread topic......Either way its a stretch ;-)

Paul
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:lol: hehehe that rather cracked me up Pablo...gracias for my morning chuckle..... :mrgreen:
Gary Lee Gimble

Post by Gary Lee Gimble »

Bill is describing arousal...
Paul, I doubt Bill's analogy would stretch into your suggestion. However, I personally agree with your insight as my wife has within arms reach, a nifty wood 2X4 that resonates and produces such wonderful tone as I see stars. And that's for just lookin.... :\
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Paul,

Your brilliance can never be overlooked. Even so, having said that much, I'm sure that you of all musicians, know that all things are interrealated, and become directly or indirectly connected through a series of remote circumstances. I seriously doubt that Charles is aware of the fact that Connie Smith is a leading favorite singer among country music steel guitarists. This fact alone immediately connects Connie to "licks" as Weldon Myrick once recorded them. If she had chosen some other instrument to compliment her beautiful voice back in the 60's, "Once A Day" might never have made it to # uno on the charts for months. To repeat, everything
connects. If you would like a real treat, listen to Connie sing, "The Key's In The Mailbox". I have rallied somewhat, after hearing the beautiful voice of Dawn Sears. She adds just enough originality singing "Close Up The Honky Tonks" to separate her from the very best in the recording industry. Full support by her associates, enhances the rare qualities heard in her voice. I'm still a big fan of those steel breaks heard in the ladies recordings.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Bill,

My over the top "wood" analysis was meant as a joke.....

Gary,

Our wives must shop at the same hardware store....ouch! :lol:
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

Paul,
Your brilliance can never be overlooked.
Or, maybe it can...
The last hot lick that I heard by turning on a radio station was the first time I heard "Chet" play "Snowbird". Give me a break!
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Pete,

You can thank your lucky stars that "Chet" didn't take up the steel guitar! A few more players featuring "licks" such as those of Atkins, and perhaps you may have found yourself thumping on doors, looking for employment. One such change in the musical structuring in and around "Music City", would have influenced changes that will never be known. :whoa:
Charles Davidson

Bill,you sure do ASSUME a lot. I have been a fan of June Meador[AKA Connie Smith] for around 47 years when she did Once a Day.But you forgot to ans. my question. What does an interview with her have to do with your topic ,Wood and hotlicks. :roll: YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Charles,

Some folks are difficult to inspire. I mean to say that jumping over the Grand Canyon on a bicycle, wouldn't phase such a person, or scaling the wall of a high-rise building unassisted, would also fail to get their attention. As for assuming a lot, I simply add nuances to your words. Even the great Chester Atkins was underestimated by those unaffected by greatness.
Charles Davidson

What does an interview with Connie Smith have to do with Wood and hot licks :?: Is that question REALLY that hard to answer :?: Now we are jumping over the Grand canyon,How much farther are you going to drift from your topic :?: :roll: In other words what has the Grand Canyon have to do with steel guitars and hot licks. By the way Pete I'm so sorry you have to thump on doors to find work. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Charlie,

I'll tell you in simple terms how this thing that seems to be hard for you to swallow, ties together, then there will be no more discussions about cute and cudly Miss Connie Smith of yesteryear's amazing popularity. The chances of the lady granting a private interview for the purpose of doing a cover story, is as rare as the good licks that were once so common in recordings, stage appearances, and a multiplicity of other proving grounds. It would be as rare as a logger finding a stand of virgin timber after the on-slaught of 100 years of logging firms depleting our best hardwoods after making their way through. Nuff said... :mrgreen:
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Well, that certainly cleared that up! Bill, why didn't you just say that in the first place? Does this mean we can close this thread now? No, I didn't think so ….. :aside:
Charles Davidson

Sorry Bill,you got to make it more simple for this simple minded boy to understand. Your thread was about woods and hot licks,But you wind up talking about Connie Smith,the Grand Canyon,bicyles,high rise buildings, loggers even dragging in the great Chet into the mix.EVERY THING but an answer to a very simple question that's been asked at least three times. :roll: YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

What have you got to lose? You pick a target, and commence sniping. In your own mind, you can do no wrong. In the words to that very old country ballad: "THEY CUT DOWN THE OLD PINE TREE", touched me at an early age. I could feel the regret of the elders, who became attached to its whispering, as the high winds taunted the sturdy roots just below ground level, where the seedling once found a safe place to grow 100 years before crashing down on the the old stone wall that once held off intruders. Flying squirrels were plentiful in those days, and were seen scampering among its branches. My family had one of those centennial pine trees, many years ago.
Charles Davidson

I have a yard [large yard] of those pines you are talking about,so what :?: What I still want to know,What does Connie Smith,bicycles,Grand Canyon,High rise buildings,Chet Atkins,Pine trees,Stone walls,and flying squirrels,have to do with this thread which is supposed to be about wood for building steels and picking hot licks. :whoa: BARRY YOU SHOULD THANK BILL FOR THE COMPLIMENT.,Takes a lot of skill to be a good sniper,I know a couple of guys that are at the sniper school here at Fort Benning and they know their business. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Charlie,

All kidding aside, Connie is famous for her vocalizing, but did you know that one of her favorite things to do while conversing with whomever? If you are not aware of her great dedication to worthy steel guitarists, you might as well take a seat, and while seated, try to avoid interrupting the speaker. The great "Rocky" Stone who MICKEY GILLEY hired when "Rocky" was living in Boston, MA, worked for Connie at one point in time. She spoke very well of Rocky's musicianship. I can assure you, he was a master of hot licks. I traveled to Boston, where he was appearing. That happened a mere 35 years ago. Later he joined Gilley in Texas. My last word was that he passed away in Branson, Mo. Tina Welch who later married the son of DICK CURLESS (A Tombstone Every Mile), was the featured singer on the night of my visiting in Boston, where "Rocky" was performing.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Chet was doing unheard of hot licks in the fourties. On the radio too no less.
You can observe a lot just by looking
Charles Davidson

I LOVE interrupting a speaker that drones on and on and on and NEVER says anything. believe it or not I know more about Connie than you may think,been a HUGH fan for over 40 years,Still don't know what she has to do with woods that are used to build steel guitars,since you refuse to answer that question,guessI wll never know. :\ YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Bill D.,

Thanks for bringing that out at this time. You just reminded me of a hot licks guitarist/steelie from Salem, MA. He is the only guitarist that I know of, who can play Chet Atkins style, to pefection, including (Yankee Doodle Dixie). I had met him by chance in my hometown where he was visiting some friends that he had met. One of the biggest surprises in my life occurred when I handed a Sears and Roebuck (Sp.) catalog guitar to Russ, and he went right into that "Tiger Song", the title eludes me at this time. All of this went down during a period when Chet was the talk of Nashville, TN. I've always regarded Russ as a phenom, born to pick.