How Many Newman Students Here?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

I went to Jeff's intermediate course in Nashville in 1990(?). Had a great time and learned a lot from a very knowledgeable, talented, and personable man. Jeff had Lloyd Green and Johnny Cox stop by during the week which was icing on the cake. I was a military pilot at the time and I remember enthusiastic conversations about flying with Jeff on lunch breaks. Great memories.
Glenn Uhler

Post by Glenn Uhler »

John De Maille wrote:I attended every one of Jeff's seminars, that, he put on in NY. I think the first one was around 1975 or 76'. He opened up a whole new world to me. Unfortunately for me, I was never able to go to his school for the week long gigs. I'm still kicking myself, to this day, for missing that opportunity. He was a great friend, artist, and especially a teacher. There isn't a time, when, I put my picks on, that, I don't think of him. He is surely missed in the steel world.
My story is pretty much the same as Johns. Went to one of the LI seminars and had a blast. I had just gotten married in 1976 and couldn't afford to go to the College. For some real trivia: How many of you still have one of the long, skinny note pads that Jeff gave out at the seminars? Across the bottom, they said "Opportunity keeps knocking, and all I do is complain about the noise!"
Don Drummer

Post by Don Drummer »

Advanced class Oct '79. Loved every minute of it. Outstanding concert on thursday by Buddy Emmons. Tape worn out years ago. Would love to have a copy of that! Don D
Dale Hansen

Post by Dale Hansen »

Class of 83' (January)

Naturally,..the entire class went on to become the finest of players, and first-class gentlemen. ;-)
Bessdang Gizmos - "An Equal Opportunity Annoyer"
Steve Gorman

Post by Steve Gorman »

Sept 22 & 23, 1984, Stockton CA. Great two day class with Jeff, followed by a great concert with Buddy Emmons and Jeff. I still remember Jeff's great rendition of Moonglow, it became a favorite of mine after that.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

I went to many of his seminars in Colorado Springs, Kansas City and one in Del City, OK starting in the 70s. Went to his college in March of 1980. I owe much to Jeff and cherished him as a friend.
One special memory is when he came to my house. Be aware, I live 18 miles in the country in the middle of no where western Kansas. I have very little traffic by my house. One summer day I looked down the road and saw a van pulling a trailer coming my direction. At the time I thought, somebody is lost. When it pulled in my drive I saw the Nashville, TN tag on the front and immediately recognized it. Yep Jeff, Fran and the two kids. He said he was on his way from CO to TX and had stopped in my town for gas. He asked the guy at the station if he knew me. Well it happens that the station owner and I were in a band together. Jeff asked if he knew where I lived and was given directions.
That was my friend JEFF and I miss him dearly.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I remember bunking out back, and eating at Waffle House.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Those were the days.....1980. Buddy, Doug, Hal Paul and Jeff.
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I was in the same class as Nic. I had a basket weave Emmons D10 just like the one in Nic's avatar at the time. The Bradley's Barn experience and seeing Jim Vest fronting the band at the night club were highlights.

Also, the fellowship with meals around the big dining table with Jeff and Fran were special and a very warm memory for me.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Hi Jerry,...... Seeing Jim Vest in person, and playing with such a nice group (can't remember who the band was.....only had eyes for the steel !)...... Some of my fondest memories. Remember, I came from a Country where those situations only existed in my dreams! So, imagine my absolute delight in seeing and hearing a live steel player in a group..... and a real American Country group at that! I remember we tried to get to the table closest to the steel player. We had to settle for one table back....but our eyes stayed riveted on Jim and his steel. I stayed at a motel right opposite Jeff's place, and shared a room with a fellow with the surname 'Stroud'..... Lost track of him. One of our class mates was a fellow who was an MD in Nashville.... We would all pile into his car at night, and he would drive us to places where there was a steel in the band. The Station Inn comes to mind... After the week at Jeff's, I moved to an Inn on Lower Broadway, and spent another week roaming Nashville....
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
Kay Das

Post by Kay Das »

I attended Jeff Newman's/Buddy Emmons' pedal steel workshop in Armonk NY, in the eighties, cannot remember the precise year. They had a concert on the final day and I had recorded it on cassette and many years later had it transferred to CD.

After Jeff's passing I contacted Frances (his wife, pardon me if I do not remember her name accurately) and sent her a copy of the CD, for which she was most grateful. It had Jeff (and Buddy) playing and included also Jeff, who was a great showman, entertaining the crowd with his great sense of humour. Jeff and Buddy played many great tunes. I remember Jeff's "Near You" vividly.
Rick Kornacker

aaah yes...

Post by Rick Kornacker »

I met my future wife there...and didn't even know it!!! Way to go Jeff! RK
"think MORE...play LESS"
Bernie Gonyea

Jeff's On The Road Seminars

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :whoa: :roll: :lol: :whoa:

Yes I , Too, attended a couple of Jeff's seminars a few years back in the Boston Area and one in the Yonkers, N.Y. Area. I recall at the first seminar I attended, Jeff had a young man working as a set-up man; whom was also taking the lesson that day [ For the very first time ] My second seminar, the same young man was still with Jeff [ A year later, to be exact ] There were two guitars set up side by side; Jeff wanted to show what this lad had learned in just a year. They did a duet on steels doing " Faded Love ". what a fantastic rendition of an old standard. Both rec'd a standing ovation from all steelers in attendance. A fine example of Jeff's excellent teaching abilities. May he rest in Peace..Bernie :roll: :roll: :roll:

2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I was never technically one of Jeff's students but living five doors down the street for over 17 years I certainly learned my share from him. He and his family were always like family to me. Have many great memories from the jams at Jeffran College and the Watertown jams.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Bent Romnes

Re: Jeff's On The Road Seminars

Post by Bent Romnes »

Bernie Gonyea wrote: Yes I , Too, attended a couple of Jeff's seminars a few years back in the Boston Area and one in the Yonkers, N.Y. Area. I recall at the first seminar I attended, Jeff had a young man working as a set-up man;
Bernie, I'll bet you anything that the mans name was Mitchell. I remember him also. He was with Jeff up here to London Ontario as well. They played the same song up here. I remember Jeff teasing him about being nervous. He said You wanna play a song with me? Or would you rather play with Lonnie (Armstrong) out in the parking lot?
I remember marveling over how much Mitchell had learned.
Mitchell, if you should happen to read this thread let it be known :-)
Bernie Gonyea

Mitchell; Jeff's No. One Student

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

:D :whoa: :roll: :whoa:

Bent : when I wrote that story about Jeff's helper; I wondered if there would be anyone else here on the SGF whom would have remembered the guy, and amazed at how great he was after a years' time. Seeing and hearing the two of them; you would have thot to yourself, how is Jeff playing that duet on two guitars at the same time . To me, that was worth the price of the seminar. Agree ? Thanks, Bent.Best Regards..Bernie :whoa: :whoa: :whoa:
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Edward Meisse

Re: Jeffran

Post by Edward Meisse »

Brian Straub wrote:I started playing late...wondering when someone may start up a new school to continue Mr. Newman's legacy. I'm sure many would attend. :D

His stuff is still available by mail order. I bought ll his C6 stuff. It was very valuable to me. I wish I could have met him face to face. Obviously a great teacher.
Amor vincit omnia
Bill Erchul

Post by Bill Erchul »

I attended Jeff's Top Gun School in June 1997. I never claim to have graduated. :lol:

Jeff's instruction built nicely on the foundation that Ken Champion and Herb Steiner had given to me some years before then.

He was one of a kind and is still missed dearly.

Bill

Pete Finney

Re: Jeffran

Post by Pete Finney »

Brian Straub wrote:I started playing late...wondering when someone may start up a new school to continue Mr. Newman's legacy. I'm sure many would attend. :D
You should talk to Mike Sweeney, you can't go wrong there...

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=200714
David Griffin

Post by David Griffin »

I,too,was a student of Jeffs'. Basically everything he taught is on DVD. Of course (pardon the pun) all the material is great!I'm currently learning the 12 str. Uni tuning using one of his DVDs. The Up From The Top series has enough material to keep you busy for a long time. If we want to keep Jeffs' legacy alive,let's support Jeffran Music.Buy his teaching materials,they're worth every dime! :D
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

I stayed in touch with Mitchell for several years. I believe he went into the construction business.
Tom Quinn

Post by Tom Quinn »

1975 for me. Bought a first-year metal-panel Session 400 that I still have, had two more levers put on the Professional at the Sho-Bud factory. That was big fun, drove all the way from California in a '66 VW Bus. Took me six days...

Jeff was a great guy.
Last edited by Tom Quinn on 20 Feb 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I need an Emmons!
Paul Carestia

Post by Paul Carestia »

Took both of Jeff's seminars on E9th and C6th in 1977 and 1978 at the ISG Convention. My only regret......I never listened to them again, until this past year. I will kick my butt the rest of my life for not learning what he was trying to teach me.

Rest in peace Jeff. You did an amazing service to the men and women who play pedal steel guitar. Others may try, but no one will take your place.
Darrell Owens

Post by Darrell Owens »

I attended several of Jeff's Seminars. He was the ultimate teacher. There are many accomplished players, but very few who have the patience and technique to teach. Just because you know how to do something doesn't mean you know how to teach it. Jeff mastered the technique of teaching. His instruction was clear and easy to understand. He was patient, but demanding.

There are several great teachers, but I think Jeff set the standard of teaching Steel Guitar. He made everyone just want to play better.
Zum Steel, Little Walter Amp, Benado Steel Dream
Darrell Owens
www.darrellowens.com
Jim Wilson

Jeff Newman

Post by Jim Wilson »

I traveled to Jeff's school four times - once in 1982 and 1984 and twice in 1983. It was a great experience. Jeff was a great teacher. I still refer to his
Image instruction today.
Franklin D10, Franklin SD10, Mullen G2 SD10, Peavey NV400, Peavey Nashville 112