The Grammys, Lady Antebellum, and Pedal Steel

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Pitman

The Grammys, Lady Antebellum, and Pedal Steel

Post by Jim Pitman »

We (pedal steelers) won a few Grammys last night.
OK not really....but...."I Need You Now" chorus vocal harmonly lick emulates E9 pedal A/B lick.
"It's a quarter after after one......."
On the word "quarter", the lead and harmony vocal melody emulate the pedal B down/rock onto pedal A harmonic structure.
Ok it's a stretch and certainly no disrespect for Lady Antebellum, in fact I say brilliant! I've heard the steel emulate the human voice but not he voice, the pedal steel.
I was also glad Ben Kieth's passing was mentioned along with displaying a photo of him playing steel.
Jay Jessup

Re: The Grammys, Lady Antebellum, and Pedal Steel

Post by Jay Jessup »

Jim Pitman wrote:We (pedal steelers) won a few Grammys last night.

There was one small group that performed that actually had a steel on stage as the featured intstrument---can't remember who it was though.

I was also glad Ben Kieth's passing was mentioned along with displaying a photo of him playing steel.
I was surprised to see that but expect that was because Neil Young was there. I don't normally watch those types of shows, have they ever mentioned a passed on steel player before? Of course my knee jerk reaction was---cool but hey what about Buddy Charleton!!!
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

To me "I Need You Now" sounds way too much like Alan Parson's "Eye In The Sky",I would bet they are in the same key. :whoa:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

Stu, wasn't there talk of a copywrite suit over that .

I like the tune, I saw Lady A a couple years ago opening for Paisley, they were weak at the time, now they have developed into something very strong and versatile.. I especially like the male leads voice and soulful chops..
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I don't care for "Need You Now", but I do like some of Lady A's music.

IMHO, they shouldn't be billed as a "Country Trio". I guess they don't fit anywhere else, though.
Stu Schulman

Post by Stu Schulman »

Bo,I haven't heard about the lawsuit,I'm not up on all of that stuff but I know a rip when I hear one and that one is a rip,It's like when I used fall asleep to a country radio station I woke up the next morning and though that I wrote "Silver Wings" :lol:
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

"I Need You Now" chorus vocal harmonly lick emulates E9 pedal A/B lick.
I can't help but think that this "stretch" is like looking for the Christ image in the pizza that just got delivered and that "Lady A", to me, sounds like a carefully manufactured ensemble that has had all of the "life" cleansed out of it. I can understand Taylor Swift, because she is about selling the image of purity, but Lady A sounds completely void of substance.
Me too.
Last edited by chas smith on 14 Feb 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

pushed the wrong button
Last edited by chas smith on 14 Feb 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

"like looking for the Christ image in the pizza "

Pareidolia.
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

If you listen real close to a lot of songs you hear the same melody but a little different chord pattern.Been noticing this for many years.RS
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Here's the poop on the LadyA/APP controversy. clickhere

I have a cousin who's a huge Alan Parsons fan. He brought the similarity to my att. months ago. I guess there are many more APP fans who felt the same way.

Sorry to stretch the bounds of your topic Jim.

Actually, that musical phrase is really nice and the vocal harmony is very pretty. I see what you mean about emulating pedals.

I like the steel phrasing on Need you Now. Very nice. I've learned it, but need to polish it up. Is that PF?

Miranda Lambert's band was the one I saw with a pedal steel on stage. The House that built Me.
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

Besides Ben keith's accomplishments as a steel player he was the Producer of Jewell's first album. Ben has been with Neil for almost forty years , consequently putting him in the middle of the music industry. He had many friends in all genres of music.
As far as Lady A goes they are a great bunch of folks. I'm biased because I play on their records but they are truly talented and hard working. They write most of their material and they can actually sing. there is little to no vocal tuning on their records. As for being devoid of substance, I might have to disagree. I think their music feels and sounds good, well crafted and melodic.They are still young and in my opinion are only going to get better. Dave Haywood is a great musician, multi instrumentalist.
The slide guitar on Need You Now was played by rob McNeely.
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

I think their music feels and sounds good, well crafted and melodic.
No argument with that and of course, I respect your opinion. My bias is more towards music with intensity and I'm not saying that there isn't a place for feel good music, but after listening to a number of the other productions last night and then having Lady A placed at the "top" seemed like a repudiation.
Bruce Bouton

Post by Bruce Bouton »

When have the Grammies ever been about integrity? Unfortunately Jamie Johnson, Buddy Miller, and Patty Griffith didn't make the short list.
I'm glad my pals won. They work hard and can actually sing and write.They sold more records than ninety percent of the artist that were on the show and they are from Nashville. I might even get another job out of it. Life is good.
Cheers!
BB
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

5 Grammies to Lady A, Congrat's! :)
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

They sound like a group that's going to be around for a while, so your employment looks to be a bit more secure, and these days, is that ever a plus. Cheers back to you -- chas
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

I also agree with Bruce that Lady A can really sing and have beautiful harmony's.Can't argue with perfection.RS
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Dave McKeough

Post by Dave McKeough »

who was the pedal steel player with Miranda????...????....is that her name....country singer. Anyway, the steel player sang background as well...while he was playing.

dave

ps....my college buddy played piano for Katy Perry. It was a white John Lennon Steinway....of course, she sent him to the tailor to have a white Armani suit fitted...gotta match the piano eh!
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Charles Kelley's dad is my dad's cardiologist. So we are practically best friends. :lol: :lol:
Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Glenn Austin

Post by Glenn Austin »

An Interesting side note, The Montreal based band "Arcade fire", who took home the Grammy for album of the year have a steel guitar connection, The frontman and Keyboardist are brothers, and their grandfather is none other than Alvino Rey. True!