Steeler Jack Matthews passed 3 years ago today

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Robert Matthews

Steeler Jack Matthews passed 3 years ago today

Post by Robert Matthews »

Three years ago today I lost my hero, best friend, and father. He sure loved the steel guitar and everyone that had anything to do with one. Miss him dearly. See you soon Pop! Rob
Buck Grantham

Jack

Post by Buck Grantham »

Yes and a big lot os us loved Jack a lot . I really admired his playing and he was a good friend. Love, Buck Grantham
Music to light up your life
Pete Walthall

jack

Post by Pete Walthall »

hi robert me and shirley talk about jack most every day i was so luckey to get to hear him play things that lots of folks did/nt get to hear.ever one liked his e9th. but what a great c6th player he was.but more than that what a super great friend. robert wheres theRED BUGGY.
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

innovator....another term added to that list.
jack was doing things that no-one else did.
if he felt it he played it, and did he feel it!
always remembered//////////jack

country.........
Andy Hinton

Jack Mathews

Post by Andy Hinton »

Robbie: Where did all the time go? It seems like Last week he was in Roberts showinmg me the licks in some of the song in his last recording. Miss him too much. And you too. Wish you'd come to Dallas & show us how to play a 6 string Bass. :D . Love ya brother. Andy H.
pdl20

Jack

Post by pdl20 »

Miss that smiling face and his friendship.he was a great player also,enjoyed hearing him.
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Sissy Privitt

Post by Sissy Privitt »

Glen and I miss Jack just as much as we did we he first left us. We know that he is much better off than he would have been just laying there, not being able to do anything. Our music room is filled with reminders of him. We love and miss you Jack (Pop) Matthews. Sissy Privitt
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Jack Matthews was one of the most underrated steel players in this area. His tone was to die for. I miss the rascal and his attitude towards the instrument and people. He was a great person to know and he made you feel like a true friend.

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Robert Matthews

Thank all of you for the heart felt comments. He loved all of you.
john buffington

Post by john buffington »

What Fred said - and he was a favorite here at the OSGA (Okla). We all still miss him to this day. Great peson, spirit, player and tone to die for. He also had the most perfect set list built for our show. A real crowd pleaser.

John Buffington, Past Pres. OSGA
Last edited by john buffington on 3 Feb 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrell Stephens

Post by Derrell Stephens »

Robert:

You know I think of Jack every day and all the great times & music that I was privileged to share with him and U ... come see me sometime, we have more stuff to do.

D
Jack Harper

Post by Jack Harper »

smilin' jack

that's what will always be his callin' card.
everytime i think of him i see that smile...
and it brightens the darkest day!

country..........
Jim Park

Re: Jack Matthews

Post by Jim Park »

I became aware of Jacks playing from a Joe Hunt cd that he did some tracks on. I agree with Fred Shannon on tone and technique, and we really enjoyed his playing. I'm sure he is missed greatly. Joe Hunt is my G/F's aunt's husband............(I think)

Jim
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Last time I saw Jack, he was in the middle of a 480 mile round trip . . . just to be at a benefit event for another player.
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Yep! That would be Jack Matthews and I'd bet he was either smiling or laughing every mile of the 480. :lol: :lol:

phred
There are only two defining forces that have offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American GI!!

Think about it!!
Louie Hallford

Post by Louie Hallford »

I will always remember Jack as one of the most friendly and gentlemanly players I have ever been around.
So glad that I knew him and got to play several steel guitar shows with him over the years.Your Tribute to him bring back precious memories.

Rob,do I remember correctly that you some times played bass for him.???
Charles Tilley

Missing Jack

Post by Charles Tilley »

All of us at ETSGA retain fond memories of Jack. It was always a treat when he came to Tyler to play or just be there. I miss his friendship and big smile. MR. E9tH. Was mt good friend
Charles Tilley ,
Princeton, Texas
Robert Matthews

Yes Brother Louie, I would play with dad every opportunity I had. And did all my life. He taught me more about music than any book or teacher I ever had. I can remember most of you that have posted here, and remember dad introducing me to some of ya'll over the past 35+ years. His dearest friends were the ones that loved the steel. Again God Bless you all for the kind words about my sweet pop. Robert