Marrs Guitar???

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dan Blaisdell

Marrs Guitar???

Post by Dan Blaisdell »

I have a line on a Marrs SD-10, but I'm not familiar with this brand. Can anyone give me an idea of the quality, playability, etc. of these guitars?
GFI Ultra SD10 3+4,[Sarno Black Box], Hilton VP, Zoom MS-50, Special 130, Walker cases, Cobra Coil strings/bar, Not enough time.
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Duane Marrs was/is the best Sho-Bud repairman around, then he began selling machined parts, then he made a few superlative instruments, Sho-Bud-style but with all the problems engineered out. Buy it. If you don't, have him list it here and it'll get inhaled.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

If in good shape, it'll be a fine guitar. Duane Marrs passed on a few years back, the loss of a legend. But his partner Jeff Surratt is going strong with the Show-Pro steel guitar and parts and maintenance should not be a problem with that instrument.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Archer

Marrs sd-10

Post by Mike Archer »

yes I had one and should have kept it
it was a good steel guitar it was not a sho-bud redo it was his own steel design which he made a few I understand
very well made sounded very good
wish I had a picture but I dont Mike
Dan Blaisdell

Post by Dan Blaisdell »

Thanks all. I hope to see and play it tomorrow.
GFI Ultra SD10 3+4,[Sarno Black Box], Hilton VP, Zoom MS-50, Special 130, Walker cases, Cobra Coil strings/bar, Not enough time.
Dan Blaisdell

Post by Dan Blaisdell »

I forgot to ask if you guys had an idea of a reasonable price for a Marrs SD-10 in very good shape, likely built in the 90's. Any input would be appreciated.
Rick Kornacker

Marrs guitars...the "original"

Post by Rick Kornacker »

Hey Dan! Just caught your post. The guitar in the picture is the very first guitar built by Duane...ser# 0002. Duane was very innovative and open-minded as to trying things that may have merit. I was the original owner of this guitar...some of its unique features were all aluminum legs and a double-octave fretboard. The guitar was updated by Duane with newer parts a time or two...free of charge. A good friend of mine has the guitar now. A second Marrs that Duane built for me had formica on the entire underside of the cabinet with a veneered fiddleback finish in burnt orange. It was an experiment to see(and hear) what an inside-out mica guitar would sound like(very good!). As for a fair price for the guitar you will be considering I would say around $1500.00 if in decent cosmetic/playing condition with a case. Just some input...hope it helps! Regards, RK
"think MORE...play LESS"
Mike Archer

yeap nice guitar Rick

Post by Mike Archer »

yeap thats a nice steel Rick!!!

mine was sd-10 rosewood mica
3x5 great steel Mike
Arthur Dickerson

Marts

Post by Arthur Dickerson »

I had a double neck Marrs. I traded it in on push-pull Emmons with Bobbe Seymour. I have regretted it ever since. If Bobbe agrees to any kind of trade or trade- in only do it because you want to do it. Don 't think you know something he doesn't - cuz you don't. By the way, the Emmons is very good and I love it. I just wish I had bought it outright and kept the Marrs. It was outstanding.

Jody
Fessenden D10
Emmons re-issue push-pull D10 d10
Sierra d10
Sierra artist series s10
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

You should have kept both, no law against having two steel guitars,

Bobbe :)
Micky Byrne

Re: Marrs Guitar???

Post by Micky Byrne »

Duane Marrs was a legend. If I remember correctly he in fact invented the Sho-Bud Pakka seat, way before other seats were on the market. Under my 1977 Old Sho-Bud S-12 (now converted to a universal) it says "inspected" by Duane Marrs. I called him some years back to enquire about one of his Cat can resonator guitars I had aquired, regards the tuning etc...he was most courteous and polite. I then told him about his signature under my 'Bud, and he said that would mean that he actually assembled the complete guitar. That guitar still plays well today despite some issues with it (House fire damage) which some of you forumites already know about.

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk
Antolina

Post by Antolina »

I bought Ron Elliott's old Marrs. It was well worn and used but still played well. I gave it to my kid several years ago. I know it's still in his posession albeit unused.
The only thing better than doing what you love is having someone that loves you enough to let you do it.

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina
Dan Blaisdell

Post by Dan Blaisdell »

I decided not to purchase the Marrs, but I understand from the owner it'll be on the Forum soon. So keep a look out.