Jimmie Crawford

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Buck Reid

Jimmie Crawford

Post by Buck Reid »

We lost Jimmie Feb. 2, 2005. Haven't seen any rememberances here so thought I'd post one. Jimmie was not only a great player and innovator but a great builder and friend to me. His contributions to the world of steel guitar were many and he was creating right up 'til the end. Some of his friends were/are my heroes and because of him, I got to spend time with many of them. He is missed!
Sonny Priddy

jimmie Crawford

Post by Sonny Priddy »

Hi Buck Haven't seen You For A While. Jimmie Was A Real Good Friend To Me I Miss Him Also. SONNY.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

Jimmy Crawford was a Master Player and very funny!

I was and still are amazed at his steel playing. His "Ton of Steel," and "Steel Crazy" L.P.s and or CDs are ones all young aspiring steel guitarists should listen too.

Just a couple days ago, I pulled out his "Steel Crazy," CD and man how refreshing to hear the arrangements and his artistry.

I miss him and all the other Greats of The Steel World who have left us.

Just my thoughts on Jimmie!

Terry
Jimmy Campbell

Post by Jimmy Campbell »

Thanks for posting Buck.

I sure thought alot of Jimmie.
Theresa Galbraith

Post by Theresa Galbraith »

Hey Buck,
Thanks for remembering Jimmie.
Gregg and I ran into Elsie a couple weeks ago. She's doing great and we miss her! We spoke of back when and look toward the future and how his playing influences players of today.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Well said, Buck. Jimmie was a good friend to me, too, and I'll always treasure the memories of meeting him and doing that Slim Whitman UK tour along with Andy Reiss and Harold Bradley.

I was so nervous about playing steel on that tour (for the support act - I played guitar with Slim), but Jimmie was so kind and helpful. That was quite apart, of course, from him keeping us all in stitches of laughter on the bus!

We stayed friends, and I think of him often.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

...and then there's you! When was that ISGC on which you played on stage with Jimmie and Russ; 2000 or 2002?

You were amazing, and I could hardly believe what I was hearing!
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Rick Troyer

Post by Rick Troyer »

Thanks for the post Buck.I too miss Jimmy allot.What a great player/builder/person.I'm so thankful to have been able to spend time with him at the shows. To know him a little was a privelidge. A major contributor to the steel guitar world and musicians everywhere. He is missed and remembered fondly. Rick
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

A well deserved acknowledgement Buck....
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Buck, Glad to see your rememberance of Jimmie. He was an international treasure in the steel guitar community and his influence in playing and building will be felt for many many years!
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I met Jimmy in the early '70's when he was with Kitty Wells. I wanted to go home and burn my steel. We became friends and visited often over the years. In 1977 he got the parts from Ron Lashley and assembled my D10 P/P in his basement. I stayed with him & Elsie for a few days until it was done. I will absolutely never sell that guitar. He was one of a kind.
Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

Buck, thanks for posting this. I really loved Jimmy. He was a dear friend, and an incredible player. He was so innovative. Has anyone talked with Elsie? I wonder how she is getting along.
Bob Hempker
Mike Brown

Jimmie..............

Post by Mike Brown »

He was a good man and player. I always like visiting with him..................
Bob Watson

Post by Bob Watson »

Nice post Buck. Jimmie's love and dedication to the Steel guitar is unsurpassed . I too remember the year that you played the steel convention with Jimmie and Russ. You sounded fantastic and I could tell that Jimmie got a big kick out of having you up there.
Last edited by Bob Watson on 6 Feb 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Black

A Great Freind And Steel Master

Post by Dean Black »

hey Buck, i was just thinking of Jimmie the other day. I also was lucky enough to call him my freind. the year you and Jimmie came up for the STEELIN FOR HEARTS SHOW ,was a great memory. And would not have met you ,if not for Jimmie. I miss him alot! i hope your well. take it easy,, Dean, P.S, is your finger pick still smashed .
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Amen brothers, I saw jimmie live years ago, mind blowing entertainment, used to tune his steel differently all the time for different songs.
A.K.A Chappy.
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

I have some Jimmie stuff on my Itunes and love it. He has a very unique style. VERY musical. I wish I could have met him and seen him play live.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Danny Hullihen

Jimmie Crawford

Post by Danny Hullihen »

Jimmie was a very close and very dear friend of mine and I will always miss him deeply. Out of sight, but never out of mind.
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

Fred Amendola and I shared quite a few leg slappin' laughs recalling some "Jimmie-isms" while we visited at the Texas Show recently. He is surely missed but not forgotten,