New '58 Fender Deluxe-8 and CD review in Guitar Player :-)

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steinar Gregertsen

New '58 Fender Deluxe-8 and CD review in Guitar Player :-)

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Yesterday I received the '58 Fender Deluxe-8 I bought from forum member Jan Jonsson in Sweden, and I'm in "Steel Guitar Heaven". :D
Not only is this steel a solid 9.5 cosmetically, I believe I counted something like ten very minor scratches and dings, but the sound.... oh boy.. it's smooth as velvet. Never had a steel that sounds as smooth as this before..

Here it is (haven't shot the "official portrait" yet because of bad weather) alongside the Fender Studio Deluxe I bought in early December:

And if floating around in Steel Guitar Heaven wasn't enough, I was made aware of this review in Guitar Player's "GP Editors Top Three" column today (it's in the February issue):

"Covering Hendrix tunes - let alone recording a whole album of them - is risky business. Yet in this case, the superb musicianship, sublime tones, and superlative arrangements justify the effort. Gregertsen's lap-steel and weissenborn playing are particularly majestic, effectively evoking Jimi's aestethic without becoming derivative."

Yeah, life's been worse.... 8)
"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Congratulations, Steinar. And yes, those are some sweet steels. Can I get an aloha...I mean amen?
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Great news on all fronts. Hopefully GP provided a link to where readers can purchase your fine CD(s).
Gary Stevenson

Post by Gary Stevenson »

Is it the pickups that make the 8 sound better than the 6-string?Have you posted sound clips yet?
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Congrats, Steinar! I'm glad you like the sound of the Deluxe 8. You'll find some interesting tones in the blend knob, the two pickups. Looking forward to hearing an audio clip sometime.
Steinar Gregertsen

Gary Stevenson wrote:Is it the pickups that make the 8 sound better than the 6-string?Have you posted sound clips yet?
While there is a noticeable difference in the acoustic tone, especially the sustain is much better on the 8-string, it's very much about the pickup(s).
The bridge pickup in the 8-string on its own isn't much to get excited about, but - as Doug suggests - the 'magic' happens when you start blending in the second pickup. Turn it about 30-50% and it's the sweetest tone, blend in too much and it gets too bassy for my taste.

The tone of the 6-string isn't bad at all, just different,- a rougher, more edgy tone with more bite. Probably ideal for rockabilly and similar stuff that requires a 'dirtier' tone, especially after I replaced the original pickup with the Vintage Vibe.

Soundclips will have to wait till I get used to the narrow string spacing, too many "oops!" moments now... :lol:
Website - YouTube
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

Nice ! Was going to ask about the string spacing... a bit tighter than the 6's you're used to playing eh ? What tuning are you going to use on the Deluxe 8 ?
Steinar Gregertsen

Mitch Crane wrote:What tuning are you going to use on the Deluxe 8 ?
Since much of the point of getting an 8-string was to break up old habits before I get completely stuck with them, I decided to go with C6 because it's really "foreign" to me and feels like (almost) starting over again. Will use A and Bb on the eight string but the jury is still out regarding the first string,- adding a 5th on top feels very logical to me, adding the 9th adds some very cool harmonic options, while the 3rd feels the safest way to go - so I won't go there.. :wink:
Last edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 21 Jan 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Website - YouTube
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

Good idea Steinar. When I got into 6th tunings I chose a tuning that was different than anyting I had played before .... to keep my old habits,licks and comfort zones from creeping in. After about 3 months of frusrtation, alot of things clicked and I was a free man. I Look forward to hearing what you do with the 8 string
Todd