Steel Guitar Builders That Dont Have A Waiting List

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Joseph Barcus

Steel Guitar Builders That Dont Have A Waiting List

Post by Joseph Barcus »

Seems every builder you call will tell you a 1 year waiting list and so much up front. Well for some people like me that dont go well. for one if I ever decided that I wanted a new one I would have to sale the one I have first.for I only have one guitar.they mostly want 1/2 or more down but thats a lot of money to have to wait so long for a guitar.I bet and I really dont know this for sure but the older guys would but I bet back when sho-bud was building guitars one didnt have a very long wait, or the early days of Emmons. they tell you the same story as well. a one year wait. so where is this going? nowhere just wanted to vent a little is all. I would really like someday to have a double 12/10 12 front 10 rear. with 8 knees I guess it would be easier to get a double 12. or some might say why not get a universial well I had one years ago and I dont like having to push a knee to get your D note.ok Im going back in my corner.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Joseph,
Have you talked with Bill Rudolph who builds Williams steel guitars? When I bought mine, he turned it around within three months of the time I
ordered it. They are beautiful, well engineered
guitars and Bill is a very good builder to work with.
Larry J.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

Larry no I have not how about passing me a contact number if its not too much trouble. 3 months would be a great turn around
David Beckner

Simmons

Post by David Beckner »

The last time I talked to Bob Simmons he didnt have a waiting list.
WILCOX SD10 (love the white mica)
WALKER SEAT
NASHVILLE 400
BEHRINGER RACK TUNER
CUSH CASE RACK
PEAVEY DELTA FEX
PARTS CASTER.Gospel and Classic Country Music
http://www.dbupholstery.yolasite.com
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

Thanks David. like some restaurents around here if I have to sit on a bench or take a number I go to another place lol.
Bob Vantine

Post by Bob Vantine »

what about these fine folks ...Chet Wilcox , Chuck Back , Fred Justice , Jeff Surrat.

:? don't know if they do builds on what you're lookin for , but ya never know . :\
EQUIPMENT:
"TEAK" ZUM STAGE-ONE Steel / C6th Lapsteel
Peavey NV112 , CLASSIC and EFX112 amps
Peavey Guitars
George Rozak

Re: Steel Guitar Builders That Dont Have A Waiting List

Post by George Rozak »

Joseph Barcus wrote:but I bet back when sho-bud was building guitars one didnt have a very long wait,
Bought my Sho-Bud Professional brand new off the floor in 1970. No wait time at all for that one. The dealer had several new Emmons' in stock too.
Sho-Bud: Professional & Fingertip
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

That's TOO long to wait for anything. Too many nice used ones for sale. Just my opinion.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Joseph,
Go to the top of this page and click on Links in
the green box. Then click on manufacturers. "Williams" is there along with several other builders. You can see pictures of the guitars they build and find contact information.
The phone number for "Williams" is 763 753-8645.
You will talk with builder Bill Rudolph and I highly
recommend his guitars. Good luck!
Larry J.
Bob Graff

waiting list

Post by Bob Graff »

Joseph. Contact Gary Carpenter at Raines Guitars. He builds agreat guitar with tone to match He had mine In a little over a week.
Dennis Ellerbee

Steel

Post by Dennis Ellerbee »

Give Gary Rittenberry a call. He built one for me in three months. Great steels.
Ross Shafer

Post by Ross Shafer »

not sure what his waiting list is these days...mine took about 4 months 1.5 years ago....you wont' find a more pleasant guy to do biz with and the steels are sweet

http://www.lamarsteelguitars.com/index.html
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

Talked with williams guitar was told a 90 day max on a wait and thats even for a special order like Im looking for
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

JB, you could contact Billy Cooper in Orange, Va. about getting a GFI. GFI doesn't sell direct but they're very good at making what you want and you could probably get it fairly quick. Eithere Billy C. or Bobbe Seymore, they're both GFI dealers.........JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Vincent Serice

Reguarding waiting.

Post by Vincent Serice »

J.B, I just posted a new guitar I got today on the forum from Fred Justice and I had no wait. It was in stock. He has a couple on his site that are in stock and ready for shipment. They are top quality instruments. Gary Rittenberry also builds one of the best and turns em out quick. Good luck with your choice. Almost all manufactures today build top quality instruments if you can wait. Vincent Serice
Vincent Serice

re my post

Post by Vincent Serice »

Sorry about my post J.b. Im gettin old and didnt read your specs you requested. The guitars I was talking about were standard D10 and SD10. My apologies and good luck anyways. Vincent
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

If I was looking for another new guitar without a wait list, I'd talk to Fred Justice. His Justice guitars sound and look awesome. I've been to his shop, he's a true master builder.
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Joseph Barcus

Post by Joseph Barcus »

thanks guys Ive made a few good contacts now its more or less up to me.
Cal Sharp

Post by Cal Sharp »

I bet and I really dont know this for sure but the older guys would but I bet back when sho-bud was building guitars one didnt have a very long wait, or the early days of Emmons.
I don't know what the deal is today. Supply and demand, or the economy, or the ratio of steel players to steel builders or what. But in 1972 I ordered a new Sho~Bud over the phone and drove down to Nashville and picked it up a few days later. They didn't have a case for it, though, but they sent me one in a week or so. A couple years later I ordered an Emmons from the factory over the phone and it arrived in a couple weeks.

No way I'd wait a year. There's too many guitars available today on show room floors and from individual owners.
C#
Me: Steel Guitar Madness
Latest ebook: Steel Guitar Insanity
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Joseph,

I was in Gary Carpenter's Rains shop last weekend. He had at least one ready to go.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

When I ordered my Sho~Bud from Shot Jackswon in 1965 or so, he told me I could anticipate a two year wait.
Sherman Willden

Post by Sherman Willden »

Have you been to Billy Cooper's shop in Orange, VA. If nothing else listen to the music while you look.

http://www.billycooperssteelguitar.com/
Sherman L. Willden
It is easy to play the steel guitar. Playing so that the audience finds it pleasing is the difficult act.
Ronnie Boettcher

Post by Ronnie Boettcher »

When I wanted my LDG in 1977, I placed my order, and I had it in 3 days. At the time, I didn't know I needed the LKL, and LKR, two inches to the left of standard, but in about a 1/2 hour I moved them. Still playing it today. Looks beautiful.
Sho-Bud LDG, Martin D28, Ome trilogy 5 string banjo, Ibanez 4-string bass, dobro, fiddle, and a tubal cain. Life Member of AFM local 142
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Derby!!

JJ
Rick Abbott

Post by Rick Abbott »

I'm pretty sure there are Carters built and ready in Canada. See sticky note...
RICK ABBOTT
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35