Florida Steel Show featuring John Hughey

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

Always a great show...and a great guy, Jimmy Powell, producing it.
Friendly bump to the top !!!!!!
...Roy

------------------
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy

Ron Bryson

Post by Ron Bryson »

Next Saturday!
Bump
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Less than a week to go!

TTT
Jimmy Powell

Post by Jimmy Powell »

Only 5 shopping days left. With John, Russ, and Laney all in the same room it`s gotta be good!......Powell
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

Jimmy I know you make up the list the morning of the show, but do you have a play list yet, (dumb ? )huh. This show is one of the years best, GREAT BACK UP BAND, fellowship and food. This is not a show to miss, Jimmy is a great host. are You going to use Jack Conyer and I to open again, we are close friends.
bump

ernie
Paul Polish

Post by Paul Polish »

This will be our first trip to this show. Dee and I are looking forward to it. Jimmy P is a great player and a pretty good guy!! It will be great to see all of our friends from the DEEP south. Brother Ben.. Glad you are going to be there. Looking forward to pickin' with Mr. John and Russ and Laney ,again. And Brother Roy and all of the pickers..
Just a few days away, gotta start packin' the truck.
See ya thar!! Paul and Dee

What's this about Strawberry PIE???? Count me in on that,if there is any left after Roy and John......
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

Just a bump up....for what's going to be a great show......planning on being there, so get your ears all tuned up for a great day at Callahans...for the Jimmy Powell Steel show featuring John Hughey, and Jimmy Powell and a host of others, with none other than Mr. Roy Rosetta on Keys....come and have some fun......HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 5) 95 Carter 9 & 7 Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, 2 Racks w/Evans Pre-amps, Lexicon MPX500 & MPX550; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp; Nashville 400. Steelers Choice seat with back rest and side-kick.

Ben ODell

Post by Ben ODell »

YEP PAUL !!!
The mad dash is usually on for the great strawberry pie over there. You really gotta be slick to out run John and Roy to the front of that line !!!!

Course Brother John don't do so bad with them Banana things down in Biloxi. I snuck a good-un on him though. After he left to get ready for the show, I broke and ran back in there and fetched me a nutter one of them boogers.

Really looking forward to seeing you all there in Blountstown. It's always a great show. Jimmy knows how to do it right !!!

See Ya'll SADDY
Ben O'Dell
Robert L. Clark

Post by Robert L. Clark »

Any steel player in along the gulf coast of Florida that dosen't make this show is making a huge mistake!!!!!!!!
Ben ODell

Post by Ben ODell »

Gettin close to the big day. If you folks haven't made plans yet, better be puttin on them travleing shoes.

Sure gonna be good to see all !!!!! They usually don't let Paul out of his cage long enough to go this far. He must have been on "SPECIAL GOOD BEHAVIOR", in the retired thing and done all his chores for Ms. Dee.

This will be one for the books !! Come prepared to hear the best !!!!

For those leaving early, we pray for your safe trip and return. We'll see you all "SADDY".
Ben and Mickey O'Dell

------------------
If it ain't got steel in it, It Ain't
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

THE DAY HAS ARRIVED! I'm up early for a change, and I'm ready for an entire day of live PSG Music.!!!!!

SEE Ya's at da Show!

------------------
Tele-Bender-Blaster-Caster
Line 6 Amps
www.jimwalkeronline.com
Steelin' Again Too!

Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

We are also up early girls in Living Room fixing hair, ernie packing up. Jack Dougherty called last nite he is stuck in Dallas and cannot get a flight out, and he flies the things, he said they had to many breakdowns, he is one upset steel player he loves this show, OK Jack Conyer can take his place.

ernie
Paul Polish

Post by Paul Polish »

Jimmy Powell, THANK YOU for inviting me to come play your show in Blountstown this past weekend. Dee and I had a WONDERFUL time and tell Wayne that sure was good "EATIN". The crowd was fantastic,as Russ said, it's different to play when "everyone" is obviously LISTENING to what you are doing.
Thanks to Jay and all of the players for making us feel right at home in Blountstown.
We had a great time and HOPE to do it again, sometime.
See ya later , Paul
Sorry for being slow - DSL has been down since we got home late Sunday night. 12 1/2 hrs<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Paul Polish on 27 February 2006 at 12:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ben ODell

Post by Ben ODell »

Hey Paul,,,, I have to agree, it was sho-nuff a good-un. You just did one of your better performances on this one, (ALL DAY)
Glad to hear you made it home safely, and pray, each and everyone of those in attendance does the same.

I think my ole Buddy Jay (LIKE YOU) has been taking lessons from Roy. That young man stayed on that stage all day. And I might add, played his KA-BOOTY-HUNKER off.

Speaking of Roy, he played soooooo purty !!!
I was so glad to see him back up and running. Roy mentioned the fact, he was trying to regain some of his chops. I don't know if I could stand it if he finds any more than he played on this show. As usual, WHAT A PICKER !!!!! WOW !!!!!

My hat's off to Jimmy Powell. GREAT SHOW !!!!

And to Wayne. The staff there is second to none and GOOD GROCERIES !!

On this show, I got the thrill of a life time. I got the opportunity to sing harmony with Laney Hicks on one of her songs. She even allowed her steel player to remain on the stage, (I might say)"FOR A WHILE LONGER", and believe it or not, Jimmy Powell replaced him. Da boy might aughta watch his step with players like Jimmy lurcking on the side lines.

AND another biggy, I got one of the "OPERATION RUSSLESS" CD's, and those of you that don't have it, you'd better latch on to it. It is some kinda fine.

I've already got a special place picked out for the John Hughey painting I got at the show. That also has a special place in mine and Ms. Mickey's heart and ya'll check it out at the show in Dallas, or read the post, "JOHN HUGHEY CAPTURED".

THANKS AGAIN JIMMY AND ALL THE PLAYERS ON THIS ONE,,,,FOR THE SHOW,,,, AND THE EFFORT INVOLVED.

Ben O'Dell

Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

I want to also add my thanks to Jimmy for the invitation to come.....I enjoyed the sets I got to play with Jimmy and Larry Bullock. There couldn't have been any finer pickin' done than that of Mr. John Hughey and Russ Hicks.....and Laney was fabulous.....Ben you did mighty good with her, too.......I was almost jealous (lol). Thanks again jimmy.....I'll look forward to the next time..........HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 5) 95 Carter 9 & 7 Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, 2 Racks w/Evans Pre-amps, Lexicon MPX500 & MPX550; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp; Nashville 400. Steelers Choice seat with back rest and side-kick.

Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

What a show. I had a fantastic time. It was the best and most "Real" Country music that I have heard in such a long time. Thank you Jimmy for all the effort that goes into making this show possible.

OMG! Hal Higgins is my break out pick! I have a talked with Hal on a few occasions and seen him around the forum before but had no idea what a great picker and singer* this guy is. Hal is truly Blessed with heaps of talent. Hal's version of "How Great Thou Art" Leveled the house with Applause and a standing Ovation! Very inspiring from my stand point.

John Hughey made it look like playing pedal steel guitar is easy. So smooth, sweet and tastful. Better than home made cherry pie! Just doesn't get any better.

Laney Hicks has angelic vocals and sings with such pure heart. It's a sure bet a fan of country music with fall in love with her the minute she picks up a mic. Russ on that Sho-Bud was music to my ears. Russ + Sho-Bud = Tone to the Bone! Russ and Laney both bring a little comedic atmosphere to the stage with them and is just what the doctor orderd. Take two Hicks, have a laugh and listen to Steel guitar all night. A cure for just about anything!

Jimmy Powell is a class act and very fine steeler. He's my new local hero. I'll be seeing him again soon.

My thanks goes out to all the members of the band. Paul and Roy, thank you for making the long drive to NW Florida and being a part of this spectacular show.

To all of the attendees and players whom names I have not mentioned. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, may you all stay blessed.

------------------
Clark D10 8&6
B-bender Telecaster
www.jimwalkeronline.com

Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

Jim....it certainly was a great time. Jimmy sure does know how to pick the best for his shows.....and you are right about his playing too.....one of the smoothest I have ever heard....thanks, too for your compliments....they are appreciated....hope to see you again somewhere soon....HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL

Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

I'd like to thank Jimmy Powell for having me be a small part of his super Blountstown show. Jimmy and his lovely wife Olean's hospitality are second to none. This was a great show and needless to say John Hughey and Russ and Laney Hicks were, as always, "on their game". Those of you who were there, and the theater was full all day, can attest to the great performances by all of the steel guitarist who played on the show. Each performer had something, in his own way, to offer everyone. The audience was very receptive and appreciative of each performers effort. WOW....it doesn't get any better than that for those of us on stage.
Wayne Martin's "Callahan" restaurant is the perfect venue to compliment great music with great food all day long. Thanks Wayne for your hospitality.
I had the opportunity to work all day with some of my "hero's" in the staff band. Paul Polish on drums, Jay Newsome on bass, Wayne Martin on fiddle and JIm Hobbs on guitar. What a great bunch of musicians. These guys made life very easy, all day, for this piano player.
Jimmy Powell is one of the most talented steel guitar players you will ever hear, what a pleasure to work with him. He and his lovely wife Olean, are two of the nicest people in the world. Barbara and I are very proud to call them our friends.
Thanks brother BEN O'DELL for the kind words ...you were on top of your vocal game all day. Your harmony with Laney was great and you complimented her "steel player" very well !!!
Barbara and I are looking forward to the October show at the "Callahan" in Blountstown and we hope to see all of you who were there again and those of you who wern't there we hope you have the chance to come over and see a great show.
Just a word to each of you who took the time to personnaly talk to me and to let me know of your concern for the health problems I've had for the past few months, you have my heartfelt "thanks". Your prayers and concern will not be forgotten by me are Barbara. God Bless you all.
....Roy and Barbara

------------------
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy