Twelfth Street Rag--my take on Sol Hoopii's masterpiece!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Twayn Williams

Post by Twayn Williams »

Mike Neer wrote:Twayn, I would play it on tricone, but I don't have one any more. I've made an effort to stay in electric territory only.
:eek: I think I'm going in the opposite direction lately, I only play my acoustics!
Primitive Utility Steel
Michael Kienhofer

Theory

Post by Michael Kienhofer »

Mike,,,what level of Knowledge do You think "Sol" had in theory,To be able to pull off all his masterpieces?We all hear his dexterity on the steel, but I would just like to have some insight into this What are your Thoughts? And thanks for the Lesson ,Money is on the way!!
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Twayn Williams wrote:
Mike Neer wrote:Twayn, I would play it on tricone, but I don't have one any more. I've made an effort to stay in electric territory only.
:eek: I think I'm going in the opposite direction lately, I only play my acoustics!

I get alot more opportunity around here to play my acoustic. And I tend to be a bit of an extremist. It's either the minimal technology of the acoustic or the full embrace of it with the pedal guitar. :whoa:
Amor vincit omnia
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I've done my time with acoustic instruments, although I play a few acoustic guitar gigs (sort of Gypsy style) per month, and I feel more in my element on electric instruments--always have. I feel much more inhibited with acoustic instruments and I can't play the music I want to, though it is fun to break it out every once in a while. I'm going to borrow my old tricone back for a few days and do some more Sol Hoopii stuff.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Post some of it. I'd love to hear some of it.
Amor vincit omnia
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I just want to thank all who have purchased this package and for your kind words. It's wonderful to know that so many acknowledge Sol's greatness and when you get a chance to hear his electric recordings, you can hear the direct influence they had on players like Joaquin Murphey. Fascinatin' Rhythm is one of those cuts where this is really evident. I hope to do that one soon.
Jeff Spencer

Post by Jeff Spencer »

Superb Mike, simply superb. Thanks for sharing
The bar's been lifted .... again!

Jeff