Lloyd Green at Country Music Hall of Fame

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Gary Sill

Lloyd Green at Country Music Hall of Fame

Post by Gary Sill »

PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES OF 2/18/06 EVENT: www.garysill.com/lloydgreenday

Lloyd wrote the following:

"Yesterday was a wonderful, validating day for all session players in Nashville. I'm delighted to have been the first recipient of this "new" recognition by the Country Music Hall of Fame, the most prestigious arm of Country Music.
I had a great time, enjoying the reminisces and reacquainting with many friends such as Peter Cetera of the group Chicago, Allen Reynolds, Garth Brooks producer, Dickey Lee, Bruce Bouton, Steve Hinson, Ron Oates, Jim Fogelsong, Hall of Famer and record producer of the first two instrumentals I ever wrote which Al Hirt recorded, Chely Wright, Chip Young, who produced my two Monument albums, Peter Cooper the writer and countless others."

Best Regards

Lloyd Green
----------------------------------

My wife Denise and I attended Saturdays big event at the Nashville Country Music Hall of Fame. In spite of the snowy weather, the Ford Theatre on the first floor was jam packed with people, fellow musicians, steel players, and admirers wanting to hear and see Lloyd receive some fabulous well-deserved recognition for his many many years of recordings. The scene was set, the room was full and a video began showing Lloyd appearing on the Lawrence Welk Show in 1967 with Charley Pride. Then Lloyd was introduced after the video and he was welcomed to the room with a large applause. Lloyd was interviewed for 45 minutes or longer and a very interesting series of questions were asked relating to the many years of recordings, etc.

He then was asked by the moderator to show us some actual playing on his LDG. Boy did he! The tone was just fabulous. Just Lloyd no backup, just the LDG singing to the 250 people or so in the crowded standing room only room. Flawless intros, and demonstrations of some of his recordings followed. He even did a bit of Farewell Party with a key change. Juke Box Charley he kicked off and did it in no fret land just like the record. A standing ovation at the end by all in the audience. Lloyd then went to the bookstore and signed autographs for an hour or more and they played his music in the bookstore PA system. It was truly a great day for Lloyd and I am personally glad I was there.

I know there were others from the forum there. Others I am sure will be able to give more details and a more detailed explanation of some of the goings on.

Thanks Lloyd and Dot for the afternoon.
The music is just the greatest to my ears.
Gary Sill
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gary Sill on 19 February 2006 at 07:18 AM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

Even though I hadn't actually met Lloyd yet, I have admired his playing for years. Truly a master. He deserves it. I incorporate the "I Can See Clearly Now", lick on 5 & 10 every chance I get or parts of the lick. Players still recognize it.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

Thank you for sharing Gary; wish I had a video of that. I remember the first time I saw Lloyd on TV back in the 60s and if I remember correctly he played "Skillet Lickin"; yeah, I was hooked.
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

A very enjoyable afternoon...great job,Lloyd!

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

Sonny Priddy

Post by Sonny Priddy »

That Is great Lloyd My Friend. Hope To See You again Be Fore Long. SONNY.

------------------
Bill Simmons

Post by Bill Simmons »

What a day!! Lloyd and Dot Green are just incredible people. I sat right on the front row with my buddy Pat Coyne and his son Mitchell with Dot Green on my left. She is a wonderful lady with a super sense of humor. I don't think I even blinked once as I didn't want to miss anything.

Lloyd signed two pics from 1973 of him playing on our session and one of him holding my son who was only 3 months old at the time...wonderful memories.

Then to meet one of my all-time favorite singers -- Peter Cetera!

Congratulations to my steel guitar hero -- Lloyd Green -- for all the incredible music you've provided over the years.

By the way, it was to meet you Gary Sill...the pics turned out great.

Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

Lloyd,

My warmest and heartiest congratulations go out to you! Finally, a steel player, and a great and deserving one, is getting some recognition for their talents and contributions to the recording industry, and the music industry in general.

------------------
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

WOW Gary; thank you Sooooo much for bringing us there so to speak...>that is so kind of you.
Ricky
scott c anderson

Post by scott c anderson »

Wow...Great Pix Gary!!! I was really hoping someone was gonna step forward today and give us a run down of yesterday's events. Great Job!!!

Sounds like everyone involved had a fantastic time, and I'll bet Lloyd and Dot enjoyed themselves immensely.

I had been scheming, and trying any possible way to make it down to Nashville for yesterday's show, but things just did not fall easily into place. It is 8 to 10 hrs drive down from the Motor City.

But Congratulations are due to you Lloyd!! You are most correct in saying that this might be just the beginning in paying recognition to the "mechanics" that made the sound that we all have known and loved in Country Music History. And I would not ever be able to think of anyone more deserving of "kicking off" this great series at the Hall of Fame than "Mr. Nashville Sound" himself, Mr. Lloyd L. Green....!!!!!!

Thanks again for all you have given us mere mortal music aficionados, Lloyd....in some respects, you are indeed "Larger than Life".... (huge ego boost there....!!!) LOLOL

Take care,

your friend

Scott Anderson
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

I am still so sad that I had no chance to come over and see and hear this event live, but I am also thrilled that it happened and, reading the comments, worked out great! A moment to remember in steel guitar history!

My congratulations to Lloyd! Image

Thanks for the great pics, Gary!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

<SMALL>What a day!!</SMALL>
Well said, Bill; well done, Gary; congratulations, Lloyd; and thank you all! Truly a fine gift for the forum!

I don't know about others, but after viewing this site I had to sit right down and practice!

PS: Somehow I've got to get to St. Louis!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by James Cann on 19 February 2006 at 09:41 AM.]</p></FONT>
Joe Alterio

Post by Joe Alterio »

To be able to meet Lloyd Green, shake his hand and thank him for the wonderful music and inspiration he has provided to me was one of those moments I will always cherish. I drove to Nashville from Indianapolis specifically to meet Lloyd, and I am so glad to have been right up in the front row sitting next to Dot and directly in front of the LDG.

Seeing Lloyd's appearance with Charley Pride on the Lawrence Welk show was fantastic.....

But the best part was the dialogue. Just learning about Lloyd's start (and then re-start) in Nashville, the twists of fate that helped him in his career.....nuances in the recording studio, his work with The Byrds and later with Paul McCartney.....what a journey.

While many of you enjoyed Lloyd's playing with major country artists, my first exposure to him was through his work with Mike Nesmith of The Monkees.....I was happy to be able to chat with him briefly about those sessions and I hope he enjoyed the remembrance, too. I brought a copy of "Green Country" for him to sign which he was surprised to see......he then told me a funny story about the album cover.....

I really enjoyed meeting with him and it was worth the drive to Nashville to do so. Lloyd, if you are reading this, I just want to again thank you for your time and conversation with all of us pedal steel fans and players. My playing has always been and continues to be inspired by yours.

Joe
Steve Hinson

Post by Steve Hinson »

I wish I had known so many of you guys were there...I like to be able to put faces to names!Too bad we didn't arrage to meet beforehand...I did sit next to Bob Knight though!And I saw Bob Kramer,Chris Bauer,Jeff Surrett,Duane Marrs,Josh Dubin,Bruce Bouton,and I met Jon Graboff...Lloyd packed the joint!Gary,I guess I talked to you before they let us in...didn't get your name then...but I really enjoyed talking to you!Thanks for posting the great pictures!

------------------
http://home.comcast.net/~steves_garage

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Steve Hinson on 19 February 2006 at 05:19 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Congrats Sir Lloyd!
I would have loved to have been
there and heard you.

------------------
Rick Johnson
Megan Morrison

Post by Megan Morrison »

I knew it was going to be great but he still blew me away. Definately a day I'll always remember. Thanks for everything Lloyd, it was great to meet you.
JAMES BANKS

Post by JAMES BANKS »

Gary, Thanks SO much for the pictures. Lloyd Green's performance on Live at Panther Hall with Charley Pride made me want to play steel guitar. Several years later I head him on a Happy Goodmans live album. Man, I wanted a steel so bad. 15 yrs later, it happened. He is a hero to so many of us. You are greatly appreciated by many for sharing your picture.
James