Why I don't need a Peterson Tuner :)

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johan Jansen

Why I don't need a Peterson Tuner :)

Post by Johan Jansen »

I trust my ears :)
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

That's nice to (h)ear :\
Dave O'Brien

Tuning

Post by Dave O'Brien »

You must not have to tune up in bar with the jukebox speakers behind the stage! :lol:
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

You must not have any hearing loss or tinnitus in both ears.
Les Green
73 MSA D10 8&4, 74 MSA S10 3&5, Legrande II 8&9, Fender Squier 6 string, Genesis III, Peavey 1000
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

Dave
I was thinking the same thing.
I tuned by ear for many years at the house with an E tuning fork but rely on my Stobo-Flip on the bandstand. I wouldn't be without it.
Don
Dave O'Brien

Tuning

Post by Dave O'Brien »

Right Don! - The tuning fork and the Boss tone !!!You could override the juke box but got a few dirty looks!
Dave O'Brien
Emmons D-10, CMI D-10, Fender Deluxe Reverb, PV 112, Fender Pro Reverb
www.myspace.com/daveobrienband
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

No comment :lol:
Last edited by Jerry Hayes on 13 Dec 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Don't need one,have a Boss tu-12. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Paul Sutherland

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Johan: You may trust your ears, but do you trust the ears of the bass player, the guitar player, etc?

Tuners have vastly improved the intonation of music played at the local level. I'll never forget the first time the whole band tuned up to a Conn Strobo-tuner. It was a hugh improvement!! Even the vocalist were able to sing more in tune because the instruments were all relatively in tune.

Maybe the top pros don't need them, but they sure are convenient (even for top level pros trying to tune in difficult situations), and many of us benefit greatly by their use.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Why I don't need a car anymore...
I can just walk to the gigs.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Jack Ritter

Post by Jack Ritter »

I have 2 stroboflips--hate to be without one. sure simplifies the tempered tunings and very accurate. Jack
Zum D10 8x5,rev pre-amp, TC M300, Split 12, n-112, IZZY, Hilton vp, Geo L, BJS Hughey, Live Steel
Bill Dobkins

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Whats a tuning fork :?: :P
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Dennis Wallis

Post by Dennis Wallis »

Tuning fork is what you eat tuna with . :D

I use the stroboflip ALL the time . Wonderful invention .
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Dennis Wallis wrote:Tuning fork is what you eat tuna with . :D
You can tune a geetar but you can't tune a fish.
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

I dont need one either,because,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have one :lol:
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Richard Tipple wrote:I dont need one either,because,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have one :lol:
Why do you have one if you don't need it?
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

I have three tuning forks, and they're all slightly off pitch from each other. I wonder which one is correct?
Richard Tipple

Post by Richard Tipple »

Didnt say I didnt use one,,,,,,,,,,

If I have one,,why do I need another one :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

IMHO Only!... Ear tuning is fine if you're only going to play by yourself in your music room or bedroom as you tune all the beats out and I admit it sounds great! But when you get on a bandstand with other instruments it's not so great! Having been primarily a lead guitarist who doubled on steel for many years I've had the pleasure of working with a lot of steel players over the years and since the advent of tuners (Strobe, Korg, etc.) the music is more "in tune" than it ever was. It seems nowadays that the steel players I encounter who aren't quite in pitch are usually the ones who tune by ear! That's a fact!

If you tune a guitar's E and B strings to 440 and then fret the B string on the 2nd fret, the C# note will also be 440. If you've tuned your E (4th) string on your pedal steel to 440 by a fork or some other fixed note and the rest (open and pedals) by ear, when you press your A pedal the C# note will be flat to the guitarist.....

All that said, about 10 years ago I just said "to hell with it all" and started tuning everything that had a "natural" note to 440 and everything that had a flat or sharp to 438. It works for me and I've been happy with it and it's eliminated a lot of headaches. I never play by myself in my music room so if my guitar's not in tune with itself, that's OK, it's in tune on the bandstand.....JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

All the band should use the same tuner. When I compared my band's tuners, I was surprised that they were not in tune with each other! Luckily, I only had to tune my Kline once a week, so my tuner was always available to the git and bass player.
John Clark

Post by John Clark »

JERRY HAYES--I CAME TO THE SAME CONCLUSION YOU DID ABOUT 10 YRS. AGO, ALSO. HAVE THE LEAD PLAYER PLAY HIS G# ON THE 1ST STRING 4TH FRET AND COMPARE IT TO A SWEETLY TUNED 3RD STRING ON STEEL. I FOUGHT THAT FOR 25 YRS. AND FINALLY STARTED TUNING ALMOST STRAIGHT UP. ESPECIALLY IF THE GUITAR PLAYER PLAYS "COWBOY CHORDS" IN THE FIRST 3 FRETS AND STRUMS LIKE MAD.
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

Thanks for all the replies!
Why did I wite this?
I own a Korg-tuner myself, 20 years ago the one with the needle, the last 15 years a 19" longscale.

I can tune the steelguitar all by ear, and in the dark on stage I use it as a quick reference if I'm still in tune, or when changing strings, to get it in reach of the right tone.

I have a lot of students, a lot of them with Petersons. Great gadgets! I never have seen a better tuner before, so right on the pitch. So good, you don't need to listen to your own ears anymore. I notice, experience, that a lot of them can't tune the guitar anymore without a tuner. They never had the need to, so why training it?
Don't get depending on a device!
I think playing in tune starts with training your ears. Shure, use some reference-notes, like E or A from the tuningdevice. But then try to tune up yourself.
Ask someone to turn some strings up and down on your guitar, also some turn on the changer end.
Are you still able to redo this in a short time?
Be honest, try it!
As all your sences need training, like taste and feeling, your ears need that to.
I train them whenever I can, so I relie on my ears, all the time.
My 5 cnts. :) Merry X-mas
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Owning one of them "Peckerson Tuners" is just another vulgar display of wealth just like your "Pucker Seat" and brandspankingnew 6000 dollar "Black Edmons PSG", hope they raise your taxes. :lol: