prolly a dumb question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Allen Winkelman

prolly a dumb question

Post by Allen Winkelman »

hi guys; is an extended e9th 12 string just the addition of two extra strings with the basic ten being tuned the same? :)
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

Yep! :)

Below my low B there are a G# (42w) and an E (54w) string.
Stan Schober

Post by Stan Schober »

Yup, strings 11 and 12 are a G# and B.

With the E9/B6 universal 12 string tuning however, the 9th string D is omitted, with the standard 10th B moving up into that position, and then adding G#, E and B as strings 10, 11 and 12
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
Allen Winkelman

Post by Allen Winkelman »

hmm ok then that is to give it the ability to play like an e9th tuning as well as a c6th? sort of a combo deal?
ive seen a couple priced within my budget but i dont want to try to learn on a beast that will fry my brains haha
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

Go for it, Allen, you'll be fine.

Remember the only dumb question - at least here on the forum - is the one you were afraid to ask!
Pit Lenz

Post by Pit Lenz »

Allen,
Dave is right: take the plunge and you won't regret it!

Though I am referring to my Sho~Bud´s Ex-12 in my post above, my first 12-string was a Carter Uni-12.
Use the search button up above and you´ll find a can of worms about the learning curve and other questions of a 12-string tuning. Judging from the opinions about it, that seems to be a more "religious" question, maybe like Mac or PC.

I am by far no expert, but I LOVE the Uni tuning. Not only will it save you money and weight (quite an issue if you live on 2nd floor), but the mix and quick change between the two tunings will eventually influence your style into not pulling licks out of the Jazz- or Country-drawer, but develop another understanding of the tunings.
Guess I wouldn't go back to 10 strings.
Just my 0.02€